Underrated goals

Remove this Banner Ad

Dropkicks seem like a good way to make kicking unnecessarily difficult. What was the point of them?

I dare say balls were heavier back in the day and probably rounder. Thus making a drop kick efficient and accurate.

Better boots (old ones were ankle high), better grounds and better balls made it redundant. Add to that the introduction of dropping the ball killed the drop kick.

One of the freakiest goals you'll ever see. 40m check side on the wrong side for a lefty. No right to kick it.

Yze is under rated

I loved watching him apply his trade

Feel free to post footage of another player taking a full pelt contested mark between two opponents, landing like a cat and kicking a 65m bomb of a few steps.

That was Malcolm Blight’s stock standard

You mean Matt White vs Richmond @ Docklands? I was at that game. Incredible running goal. He got the ball on the half-back line, took about 7 bounces sprinting along the wing (while being pursued), and dobbed it from ~50 near the boundary. Got Port back to about 14 points with a few minutes left. Granted the Tigers went on to win but it was an incredible goal nonetheless.
Wow at this rate it will be 42 bounces in a couple of years...

Anyone remember the goal Jeff Farmer kicked vs Hawthorn in the late 90s, while still playing for Melbourne?

Gathered the ball inside his defensive 50, hit a pass, ran past for the handball, hit a 2nd pass, ran past again. Sprinted away from chases, had a bounce or 2 from defensive wing and goaled with a torp from outside 50 in the rain

Should be in any discussion of greatest goals ever.

Anyone remember the goal Jeff Farmer kicked vs Hawthorn in the late 90s, while still playing for Melbourne?

Gathered the ball inside his defensive 50, hit a pass, ran past for the handball, hit a 2nd pass, ran past again. Sprinted away from chases, had a bounce or 2 from defensive wing and goaled with a torp from outside 50 in the rain

Should be in any discussion of greatest goals ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much every goal in the 2006 Grand Final hasn't been spoken about since except our last kicked by Adam Hunter after the Daniel Chick smother. Nick Malceski kicked a snap to take it to 85-84 which is how it finished a few minutes later. He could've easily kicked the last goal of two separate winning Grand Finals that went down to the wire. My favourite is Quinten Lynch from 60 in the third quarter, what a roost.

The thing that I get from this thread and others similar when it comes to goal/marks is the commentary has a massive impact on how much hype a moment receives.

As an example, compare this Buckley goal with Quatermain calling to Ryder's goal with Zempilas doing the call.

Channel 10 did an amazing job in producing a spectacle. Great team of callers who added to iconic moments mixed with increased crowd volume and the five-minute countdown.

The thing that I get from this thread and others similar when it comes to goal/marks is the commentary has a massive impact on how much hype a moment receives.

As an example, compare this Buckley goal with Quatermain calling to Ryder's goal with Zempilas doing the call.

Channel 10 did an amazing job in producing a spectacle. Great team of callers who added to iconic moments mixed with increased crowd volume and the five-minute countdown.

The first two in the thread were completely wrecked by drain Russell

Danihers Anzac Day goals in 2017 and 2019. One on the run from 70m the other a set shot from 60-65m?

Dean Cox in the 2005 GF was special too. Got massive flashbacks watching Grundy kick a similar goal against the Crows in 2018.

Buddy's late goal against the Pies in the 2011 prelim. Had that been the match winner, and it almost was, it would be on constant repeat. He has had "better" goals, but that's the one that got me most excited as it happened.
Agree with your sentiments. It was a shame (in more ways than one) that Luke Ball snatched victory with his scungey goal a minute or two later. If the Hawks has been able to defend that last stoppage, then Buddy’s goal (to put the Hawks into the GF) would’ve definitely gone down in history as one of the greatest goals ever.

I don’t think he has kicked too many that were better. It would be in his all time top 5.

Irrespective of the timing and the occasion, it was an amazing goal. Chris Tarrant had worn him like a glove all night and did everything right on that bit of play.

It was just freakish, instinctive play by Buddy not to grab the ball cleanly (and get tackled) but to hit it to himself sideways into open space and give himself the crucial couple of metres of separation from Taz that he needed.

He was leading out from full forward, running full tilt, then did the u-turn and regather at top pace, the angle was wicked, basically an impossible angle for a left footer, but he just dribbled it through from a decent distance like he was shelling peas.

It was a moment of genius. Everything about it was perfect. Everything that is, except for the Channel 7 coverage. They completely buggered it up by cutting to the close up as Buddy did his move on Tarrant and basically missed the action. The footage just didn’t do his goal justice. If they’d just used the stock-standard wide shot which they normally use, then people at home would‘ve had the same appreciation for that goal as everyone who was at the ground.

Last edited:
Agree with your sentiments. It was a shame (in more ways than one) that Luke Ball snatched victory with his scungey goal a minute or two later. If the Hawks has been able to defend that last stoppage, then Buddy’s goal (to put the Hawks into the GF) would’ve definitely gone down in history as one of the greatest goals ever.

I don’t think he has kicked too many that were better. It would be in his all time top 5.

Irrespective of the timing and the occasion, it was an amazing goal. Chris Tarrant had worn him like a glove all night and did everything right on that bit of play.

It was just freakish, instinctive play by Buddy not to grab the ball cleanly (and get tackled) but to hit it to himself sideways into open space and give himself the crucial couple of metres of separation from Taz that he needed.

He was leading out from full forward, running full tilt, then did the u-turn and regather at top pace, the angle was wicked, basically an impossible angle for a left footer, but he just dribbled it through from a decent distance like he was shelling peas.

It was a moment of genius. Everything about it was perfect. Everything that is, except for the Channel 7 coverage. They completely buggered it up by cutting to the close up as Buddy did his move on Tarrant and basically missed the action. The footage just didn’t do his goal justice. If they’d just used the stock-standard wide shot which they normally use, then people at home would‘ve had the same appreciation for that goal as everyone who was at the ground.
ffs

If hawthorn players had been so in awe of this goal perhaps they could have defended better rather than cough up lead a few mins later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back