Underrated goals

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Hodge should've won Goal of the year in 2013 instead of Buddy Franklin, but it wasn't even among the final three contenders:oops:

Buddy received a handpass at full tilt, hurdled 2 players and kicked a 65m drop punt. Awesome individual goal (but also a great team goal)
Hodge just stole the ball off Griffen's boot and then kicked a 60m torp off two steps. Unbelievable. He was like Neo from The Matrix.

Aside from the manner in which they got the ball, the key difference was the Channel 7 coverage and the ground atmosphere. These play a huge role in what wins Mark and Goal of the Year.

Bruce's commentary was sensational for Buddy's monster goal. The Hawks went coast to coast and the big crowd at the MCG went beserk. Whereas Hodge's goal in Launceston just came outta nowhere and took the small crowd by surprise. The muppet commentators were rambling on about some bullshit and they missed the moment.

Last edited:

Have maintained since it happened that this is one of the most skillful and underrated goals I've ever seen in my time watching footy. A completely intentional, opposite foot checkside from 40m on the boundary while unbalanced. Madness. Didn't even get close to receiving the attention and plaudits it deserved.

Dropkicks seem like a good way to make kicking unnecessarily difficult. What was the point of them?
No one had 'invented' the drop-punt yet.

So every shot at goal and long kick was either a torp or a floater.

The drop-kick was used for 'stab passes' as the old footy boots had steel caps, so you'd execute a drop-kick with your toe. Less distance than the floater and torp - but more accuracy.

Once the drop-punt came along' the drop kick disappeared. Then eventually, sondid the torp.

Have maintained since it happened that this is one of the most skillful and underrated goals I've ever seen in my time watching footy. A completely intentional, opposite foot checkside from 40m on the boundary while unbalanced. Madness. Didn't even get close to receiving the attention and plaudits it deserved.

Dale Thomas also kicked one of the best goals I've seen live. It was Collingwood vs (Carlton?), he was on the boundary 20m out at the MCG, he kicked the ball along the ground straight through the goals but it wasn't a banana - it went long end over end. He absolutely meant to do it and the margin of error would be measured in millimetres.

Shame he was so hobbled by injury as most people forgot just how good he was in his prime.

Dale Thomas also kicked one of the best goals I've seen live. It was Collingwood vs (Carlton?), he was on the boundary 20m out at the MCG, he kicked the ball along the ground straight through the goals but it wasn't a banana - it went long end over end. He absolutely meant to do it and the margin of error would be measured in millimetres.

Shame he was so hobbled by injury as most people forgot just how good he was in his prime.
I reckon the one you're talking about is this one against St Kilda in 2007 which actually was called back because the boundary umpire believed it had gone out of bounds. He was right up along the boundary and just dribbled it through with no curve at all. In 100 attempts, he probably wouldn't have been able to kick it again.

The two goals in this video (2:55-3:25) by Stokes and Podsiadly were rippers from the boundary (or close to it) at crucial moments of the game, but like the match itself, they've been swept under the carpet a little when the 'best ever Geelong-Hawthorn games and moments' discussion comes up, the goals and the match itself stuck between Round 17 2009 and Round 19 2012 (those two matches were fantastic as well, but it seems this one has been lost in the middle)

Absolutely. If you wanna talk about players who's talents have been forgotten he's right up there. He was one of the most rounded midfielders in the league, could kick, mark, run, tackle, goals etc. Can't really think of a good comparison to him, maybe the AA version of Wingard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. If you wanna talk about players who's talents have been forgotten he's right up there. He was one of the most rounded midfielders in the league, could kick, mark, run, tackle, goals etc. Can't really think of a good comparison to him, maybe the AA version of Wingard
Thomas always had much better endurance than Wingard. He was the best wingman in the league at his peak, it wasn't close.
Elite endurance plus genuine goal sense when he went forward.

Like Cooney (who cracked his patella in his early 20s) and Longmire, we never really saw the best of him.

I reckon the one you're talking about is this one against St Kilda in 2007 which actually was called back because the boundary umpire believed it had gone out of bounds. He was right up along the boundary and just dribbled it through with no curve at all. In 100 attempts, he probably wouldn't have been able to kick it again.

Well done, yep that's the one. I was at the front of the 4th tier right behind him so had a perfect angle of it (which always helps pieces of play stay in your memory). He absolutely meant it.

Thomas always had much better endurance than Wingard. He was the best wingman in the league at his peak, it wasn't close.
Elite endurance plus genuine goal sense when he went forward.

Like Cooney (who cracked his patella in his early 20s) and Longmire, we never really saw the best of him.
Like I said I can't think of a good comparison, Wingard was more of a forward aswell. Thomas was freak in his early years. Honestly maybe the best comparison was Robbie Flower.

Lots of people talking about it and no one has posted it

Still find it ridiculous that Motlop checkside from 50 lost the Goal of the Year to that Matthew Lloyd back heel from 2 metres

Lots of people talking about it and no one has posted it

Still find it ridiculous that Motlop checkside from 50 lost the Goal of the Year to that Matthew Lloyd back heel from 2 metres

Motlop looks alot less like his brothers than I remember

That's the stuff players would get dragged and berated for not centering a decade ago. Was a pretty ridiculous finish running away from the pack. It's eerily similar to the Akermanis finish against Geelong (the second goal), although that was in the wet.
I think Martin kicked a pretty mad goal against us in an Anzac eve clash aswell from the boundary.

Another one that I reckon is underrated in its own right. I know that in this age of footy it's seen as a relatively simple skill to be able to dribble and angle a ball like that but by the time Davis actually gathered the footy here he literally couldn't have had any less space to operate in. I think the fact that he kicked boundary goals fairly regularly actually did some of the goals a disservice simply due to the fact that it was expected.

Anyone have a link to that Geelong team goal against Melbourne in 2011 (the 186 game)? Amazing football albeit against witches hats.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back