Movies & TV Underrated/Overrated Films

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Queensland Reds, Melbourne Rebels
Rewatched an old fav on the weekend, twice! Once with DVD commentary on.

Evolution - I reckon it's underrated.. Ivan Reutmans pseudo Ghostbusters for the 2000s

I tell you, that chemistry between Duchovny, Orlando was first rate!

I love that film! So underrated!

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
hows that alien with the big behind..

whose that remind you of? she been throwing it at you enough... theater in the round!

anyone i wont be a movie quoter!, i know peoppe hate those guys ;)

I don't! I do that as well! My main crime is quoting Seinfeld. I used to do on here a lot (using vids, gifs as well) but did not go down well. :) Ask Whomb.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't! I do that as well! My main crime is quoting Seinfeld. I used to do on here a lot (using vids, gifs as well) but did not go down well. :) Ask Whomb.

The thing that makes me laugh most is when he gets sucked up the aliens a hole...

Hes like, it's horrible in here! , you don't know the things ive seen, don't you ever tell anyone where ive been.

I laugh every time!

Max Headroom

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2014
Off with the fairies
AFL Club
Essendon
My bad I recalled it featured Bryan Brown but then assumed was Aussie, but was American! Also called F/X not Special FX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F/X

Still a good film!

Have you seen The Big Steal?
Yes, also great. Apropos of nothing except Ben Mendelson is an Aussie actor of the same era did you know Samuel Johnson is pretty much broke? I read an interview in The Age about him on the weekend. I would think those voice overs get him a bit of dough, but he's retired from acting to take up fund raising full time for his sister's cancer cause.

I've watched The Hateful Eight twice, now, and I'd consider it an underrated film.

It wasn't a critical or commercial flop, but seems to be spoken of poorly for a Tarantino film.

I actually rate it as his equal second best, and still one of the best films I've seen since I began rating every film I saw in 2012.

I've watched The Hateful Eight twice, now, and I'd consider it an underrated film.

It wasn't a critical or commercial flop, but seems to be spoken of poorly for a Tarantino film.

I actually rate it as his equal second best, and still one of the best films I've seen since I began rating every film I saw in 2012.

Out of curiosity what did you have as his best and equal second with hateful?

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

I just borrowed The Third Man from uni library to watch. Apparently awesome. I am going through a Welles phase.

Out of curiosity what did you have as his best and equal second with hateful?
I love Inglourious Basterds and have that as his best.

After that I'd have Django Unchained and The Hateful Eight, closely followed by Pulp Fiction.

I've only recently seen Death Proof and thought it was decent enough, though obviously not as good as his other films.

Having said that, I seem to be in the minority in that I don't think Kill Bill is that great. I didn't enjoy Volume 1, and thought Volume 2 was solid. So my views on his films are probably different from a lot of people. I'd rate them:
  1. Inglourious Basterds
  2. Django Unchained/The Hateful Eight
  3. Pulp Fiction
  4. Death Proof
  5. Reservoir Dogs
  6. Kill Bill Volume 2
  7. Jackie Brown
  8. Kill Bill Volume 1

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
I just borrowed The Third Man from uni library to watch. Apparently awesome. I am going through a Welles phase.
You might be disappointed then since he only has about five minutes of dialogue. It's a good film in its own right but prior to watching it I anticipated it to be something different than what it was.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
You might be disappointed then since he only has about five minutes of dialogue. It's a good film in its own right but prior to watching it I anticipated it to be something different than what it was.

Yep I know he does not appear much, buy Cotton is awesome as well. I was admittedly bored by Chimes at Midnight despite the rave reputation.

Shallow Grave.

A black comedy thriller, I think Danny Boyle's first.

A very young Ewan McGregor too

Great film. It's been such a long time since I saw it but I remember that the ending and final track (happy heart - Andy Williams) stayed with me for months.

Last edited:

Wow the first hour of that film was slow tho.

Would argue that it's a great film in its own right. Reed is no slouch, although its immediate predecessor in his canon, The Fallen Idol is even better.

Actually, from his set of films and for this thread: The Agony and the Ecstasy

Nov 28, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
Would argue that it's a great film in its own right. Reed is no slouch, although its immediate predecessor in his canon, The Fallen Idol is even better.

You're right. I wasn't intending to imply that I thought less of it, it's a wonderful film and a noir classic. While being highly praised, I think that Shadow of a Doubt is doesn't get enough love compared to some of Hitchcock's other work.

Mar 10, 2007
SAPMA Headquarters
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Adding to my list.

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
not sure eternal sunshine of the spoless mind counts as underrated - but maybe its niche..

anyhow its one of my all time favs, and the weird thing is, i have had different experiences every time ive watched it. The first time i watched it i was in strong early form relation ship and the movie was great!, it boundced off my subconcious without leaving a mark

second time i weatched it i was in the throws of middle term relationship, it was getting shakey and the film really shook me - made me feel terrible! it was almost awkard watching it with partner it was ringing so true..

i watched it again last week, relationship has now been 10 years + and i guess its more solid than it was in the middle stretch. It was still tough watching with quite a few hit home moments, but it was maybe a ringing endorsment of what we have built and ebndured along the way in our personal journey. and the true testament of a great film that can have so many guises depending on your personal situation at the time.

anyhow it does beg the question. If you first met somebody - and were told in 5 years time you will probably hate each other and fight like crazy - do you still want to go ahead with it?

as Jim Carrey said, sure, lets just enjoy it while we have it.

Back