Underrated players - 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Jezzitizle

Premiership Player
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
I feel like certain players on our list are highly rated - or maybe it would be better to say their attributes are highly appreciated - by coaching staff but fans tend to focus on their limitations.

For me Bailey Banfield is a player who might evade fan expectations this year and play a major role.

Hear me out. He has flexibility to cover a variety of roles, playing across most forward line roles from a target man in a pinch with a solid pair of hands, to defensive forward to roving the packs.

He also is able to run through the middle because of his dedication to his role.

He’s generally very fit and I think the coaches like his size and competitiveness. I also think he tends to do a good job linking up play.

Don’t be surprised to see him line up in r1.

Who else is on the underrated list?

A great premise for a thread - nice work!

I would like to put forward Ethan Hughes' name. Ethan's name is synonymous with valiant and brave attacks on the ball, which often feature a total disregard for his own safety! He may at times exhibit somewhat slow decision making, but make no mistake, his ability to meet the ground-ball with pace and in a "Wrecking ball-like" manner, is invaluable in at least creating stoppages that allow for our midfield and back lines to reset!

I too think that Bailey Banfield will surprise this season; he was in ripping form last season before injury and I would argue was a transformed player, with his goal kicking at 50m looking a real threat. To this end, I am even willing to say that he might very well start ahead of Sam Sturt as a half forward option, and I really rate Sturt.

I too think that Bailey Banfield will surprise this season; he was in ripping form last season before injury and I would argue was a transformed player, with his goal kicking at 50m looking a real threat. To this end, I am even willing to say that he might very well start ahead of Sam Sturt as a half forward option, and I really rate Sturt.
I see your logic. I think it would be a courageous decision to prefer Banfield to Sturt, especially this year. Sturt would almost certainly be gone.

I'm not arguing against Banfield. Treacy may struggle early so that could provide an avenue. Or Erasmus may find himself on the wing, and both Sturt and Banfield play forward.

I would like to put forward Ethan Hughes' name. Ethan's name is synonymous with valiant and brave attacks on the ball, which often feature a total disregard for his own safety! He may at times exhibit somewhat slow decision making, but make no mistake, his ability to meet the ground-ball with pace and in a "Wrecking ball-like" manner, is invaluable in at least creating stoppages that allow for our midfield and back lines to reset!
Yes, totally agree.

I think Hamling is being underrated. Some had binned both he and Pearce at times last year, and not without cause as we struggled to get them on the park.

Injury pending Hamling is a lock in our 22.

I just had deja vu. I'm sure I've read this post boosting Banfield up before, like this time last year, the year before and the year before that.

He's not underrated, he's rated fairly imo, i.e. depth at very best. He's not very good.
I'm telling Gerard Healy you said that! He will sit you in the naughty corner! Lol

Lachie Schultz has been under-rated by many, and it took a poaching attempt from the Hawks to wake a few up. Perhaps because he doesn't look like a natural athlete, but there is no denying his intensity, courage and effort. He is a man you would want by your side in the trenches. Should be a lock for our 22.

Darcy Tucker

Yes, totally agree.

I think Hamling is being underrated. Some had binned both he and Pearce at times last year, and not without cause as we struggled to get them on the park.

Injury pending Hamling is a lock in our 22.
Hadn’t thought of Hamling but it’s a good call.

Has gone from a key part of our best 22 to not even being a part of some people’s teams.

His ability to play on anyone in defence is a big strength.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At this point in preseason Banfield is training strongly, getting plenty of ball and providing a marking target in the forward line in the match sims. He kicking skills have been very notable as well.
Sturt has only recently returned to the main group and in match sim is well off the pace and barely touching the ball.
This, of course, may change as Sturt gets fitter.

The difference between Sturt and Banfield is that if the former gets on the park regularly we will improve as a team, if it's Banfield we'll just tread water.

I see your logic. I think it would be a courageous decision to prefer Banfield to Sturt, especially this year. Sturt would almost certainly be gone.

I'm not arguing against Banfield. Treacy may struggle early so that could provide an avenue. Or Erasmus may find himself on the wing, and both Sturt and Banfield play forward.
If Sturt finds himself behind Banfield at season's end he should be gone

The only one that comes to mind for me is Switta.
It’s not as though he’s underrated- more so that he’s under exposed from a lack of consistent game time .
If he can string some games together he’ll pick up nicely from where Walters may (potentiality) drop off.

Can we say Brennan Cox is also underrated ... or inconsistent?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Colyer, Logue and (hard as it is for me to admit it, because I think he's a bit of a nothing player) Schultz are underrated. They're on not much coin but do their job and seem structurally important players for the team to perform.
By contrast, in terms of how much they're talked up in relation to how much they've actually produced for the club, Frederick, Young, Henry and Sturt are amongst our most overrated. All have potential, all have provided little (injury of course playing a big part)

Colyer, Logue and (hard as it is for me to admit it, because I think he's a bit of a nothing player) Schultz are underrated. They're on not much coin but do their job and seem structurally important players for the team to perform.
By contrast, in terms of how much they're talked up in relation to how much they've actually produced for the club, Frederick, Young, Henry and Sturt are amongst our most overrated. All have potential, all have provided little (injury of course playing a big part)
I was just thinking Colyer deserves his spot based off last seasons form. But he doesnt really feature in many best 22s. Very underrated.

Frederick is underrated for me. Thought he was ramping up nicely before Oscar Allen deliberately injured him. I can see him owning a high-half forward role, certainly seen more from him than Sturt for example.

Was going to come in and say Switta - not just because he's my buddy and I'm obliged to - but because I genuinely think he's not just Best 22, but close to Top 10. He's a quick, smart and skillful player. The main knock I would have on him is that half of our AFLW list have a longer kick than him. If we get 15+ games out of him this season (which would be the first time) then we will be a better team for it.

And I would have said that before he had a couple of runs through the midfield - but with that as an added string to his bow makes him invaluable. Really excited what he could produce if his body can hold up.

Was going to come in and say Switta - not just because he's my buddy and I'm obliged to - but because I genuinely think he's not just Best 22, but close to Top 10. He's a quick, smart and skillful player. The main knock I would have on him is that half of our AFLW list have a longer kick than him. If we get 15+ games out of him this season (which would be the first time) then we will be a better team for it.

And I would have said that before he had a couple of runs through the midfield - but with that as an added string to his bow makes him invaluable. Really excited what he could produce if his body can hold up.
Yeah, I think Switta is a lock as far and away our best pressure forward and is generally very good with the ball. If he could somehow find a way to kick an extra half a goal a game, I'd have him close to A-grade talent.

My buddy! :purpleheart::purpleheart:

And my thoughts exactly!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back