Toast Underrated Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
Who is the most underrated players you have seen play in our great side?

Watching an Open Mike featuring ex Melb defender (Underrated) Daniel Ward, got me thinking.
A breath of air from the Melb of old. A modern Equivalent could be Nev Jetta (Albeit Jetta is a better player, Jettas consistency is remarkable)

Were leading into a new era of this great football club, that i love more than my own local teams (I would go so far to say)

A breath of air from the Melb of old. A modern Equivalent could be Nev Jetta (Albeit Jetta is a better player, Jettas consistency is remarkable)

But back to it, whom do you view as THE most underrated player you have seen in our Red n Blue?
Guys like Ward, Bizzell, Brown. Im looking at the old Melb squads.
Guys who perform consistently without any awards (or just guys whom are not that vocal or active in the media)

Peter Walsh you always knew he would put in effort.

Yiss, gingers are good for trying. I liked Walsh and was disappointed when we let him go to Port.

Wait Walsh went to PA?
Yes it's a one of those easily forgotten moves. He had a reasonable season at port but injuries and his age ended it for him. Also the trade landed us michael newton. Talking about redheads and forgotten trades. I had a mate who didn't believe me when I said garry Moorcroft had a melbourne cameo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Byron Pickett is another one people forget was a Melbourne player. Generated a fair few highlights for us in 2006
And a fair few for the wrong reasons too

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Byron Pickett is another one people forget was a Melbourne player. Generated a fair few highlights for us in 2006
Good call. Tough player and a reputation of being dirty but really played within the rules. Only suspended 3 times after 2001(though probably more under todays standards). Always found this highlight reel good to see a player laying a tackle.

Also should add peter vardy was a handy pick up to.

Good call. Tough player and a reputation of being dirty but really played within the rules. Only suspended 3 times after 2001(though probably more under todays standards). Always found this highlight reel good to see a player laying a tackle.

Also should add peter vardy was a handy pick up to.

Poor Kane Cornes got his head planted a meter deep in the MCG turf thanks to Byron

I aint no ranga, nor have I worn a teal footy jumper

Whoever he is if he reads this was one of the players who I had nothing but respect for in a Melbourne jumper. Didn't have the talent of some of his late 90s early 00s team mates but he certainly gave it his all across is 100 odd games.

Loved Paul Prymke. And also get sad thinking about how good The Ox could have been before the knees. But I suppose they are more two players who were very highly rated but had injuries curse their development.

So, therefore, I will run with Andrew Leoncelli.

I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but David Neitz, was and still is criminally underrated by everyone outside the MFC.
Yes he is. Statistically he is virtually identical to Alastair Lynch.

Lynch - 306 games, 633 goals.
Neitz - 306 games, 631 goals.

Neitz didn't have an amazing forward line to play in either, but Lynch missed a lot of footy through illness. They also both played CHB for a large part of their career.

When talking about great FF, you have to mention Neitz whenever you mention Lynch, and let's face it, anyone playing 300+ games and kicking 600+ is a bloody champion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back