Underrated things in life

Remove this Banner Ad

That's probably symptomatic of 2018 more than anything.

I assume we're ball park same age and I don't remember any of my pre-primary/primary school class mates having food allergies. There was always the odd kid with excma, a couple with asthma, a few allergic to bee stings but I don't remember kids walking around with epipens.

I don't believe that in the space of 20-30 years that humans have become so reactive to things we've been eating for 100s of years.
There were probably just as many but people didn’t give a s**t and Mother Nature weeded them out.

There were probably just as many but people didn’t give a s**t and Mother Nature weeded them out.

I may not remember every kid's allergy history but I certainly remember zero kids dying in 7 years of primary school plus a year of pre-primary. And I was mates with a kid who was a bit of a lemon (asthma needing occasional respirator, eczema, allergic to bees etc).

These days every second kid seems to have some potentially life threatening ailment.

In the case of peanuts there are other possibilities to do with the change in how we cook and eat things:

https://www.medicaldaily.com/peanut...ic-proteins-trigger-allergic-reactions-304278

Dry-roasting modifies peanut proteins which possibly triggers allergies.
It's interesting because the way the food industry roasts the peanuts has changed.
Supposedly in countries where they still cook them the old fashioned way their are much lower incidences of peanut allergies.
Slower roasting at lower temperatures may lead to less issues than quick roasting at high temperatures

Growing up the occasional kid had either nut or seafood allergies. None of this other stuff seemed to be as common

A kid from my school died of cancer at 17, was sorta mates with him as he was good mates with my cousin.

One of the most terrible things to see someone go through. Just tragic.

Sent from mTalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back