Underrated TV shows

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Only Murders in the Building doesn't have its own thread yet, so I'll say that.

I don't mind this show it's easy to watch, but I don't find myself itching for the next episode. The other day I watched two episodes back to back because I missed a week, kind of a good thing I guess.

3rd rock from the sun is extremely underrated imo. Great cast, great jokes, it's a bit slapstick but it works, nothing is serious either nothing worse than a comedy that has drama. The fact that their aliens trying too hard to fit works really well.

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Becker.

Was watching it again the other day and forgot how good it was. Such a grumpy campaigner (and the perfect definition of one!) and he plays it perfectly. Rest of the cast are great too.

What are yours?

Nice way to start the weekend.

What I always liked about Becker is that he owned the anger, and the fact that he is actually a man of very good character, but just an abrasive personality. Much better than the opposite - which we see too much of these days.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Nice way to start the weekend.

What I always liked about Becker is that he owned the anger, and the fact that he is actually a man of very good character, but just an abrasive personality. Much better than the opposite - which we see too much of these days.
Hahaha yeah, it first aired in 98 - 23 years ago! - and times/jokes/the writing was obviously very different then.

He played the role so well too.

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I don't mind this show it's easy to watch, but I don't find myself itching for the next episode. The other day I watched two episodes back to back because I missed a week, kind of a good thing I guess.

3rd rock from the sun is extremely underrated imo. Great cast, great jokes, it's a bit slapstick but it works, nothing is serious either nothing worse than a comedy that has drama. The fact that their aliens trying too hard to fit works really well.

3rd Rock is brilliant and they knew when to quit, most sitcoms go on a few seasons too many. When 3rd Rock ended it was still as fresh as when it began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I loved this episode when a journalist constantly race baiting Becker and in the end becker gets him. I find this sort of thing happens more than ever now.

I loved how abrasive he could be at times too. Had a real didn't give a s**t attitude haha.

I haven't watched it in a while, but the antics Linda got up to always made me laugh.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
3rd Rock is brilliant and they knew when to quit, most sitcoms go on a few seasons too many. When 3rd Rock ended it was still as fresh as when it began.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nanny comes to mind, they get together and end it. Instead they decide to get her pregnant, get Niles and cc get together ect why?? I actually don't mind the show, I know it's corny but she intended it to be like I love Lucy.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I loved how abrasive he could be at times too. Had a real didn't give a sh*t attitude haha.

I haven't watched it in a while, but the antics Linda got up to always made me laugh.
I've actually been binge watching cheers recently only because I binged on frasier. There was a scene where Sam Malone was being quite abrasive to someone he went on a John Becker style rant it was great viewing. It was the words he was using was definitely in the John becker range rather than the Sam Malone character who isn't meant to be that smart.

Reminds me of a time I saw Cranston pulled a Walter white facial expression in Malcolm in the middle, even saw it seinfeld when he played watley.

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
1635087283031.png

Sep 10, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I've had that on my 'to watch' list for a while. Unfortunately there's a lot of episodes there an my mind sees it as a lot of work. Same with The Expanse. But i hear good things about both.
Expanse is only 10 episodes per season, generally. I was the same, putting it off, have finally given it a go after several people talked it up and it is indeed very good. Have watched three seasons, just having a short break while watching other shows but that's the beauty of it, you can binge watch or take breaks between seasons.

Last Ship. Season four was a little dull, but I really enjoyed the other four. And Bridget Reagan looked smashing behind a sniper's rifle. ;)

Absentia. The first season was a little slow, but it improved with each season. Shame there was only three.

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
A Kiwi production called Outrageous Fortune, binge watched the first three seasons can't find the next 4 5 and 6.
This show was made between 2005 and 2010, we had no idea about it until someone said if you can find it, it is a ripper, that was about three weeks ago! And it was.

There are many episodes, each season. Season 3 had 22 full episides.

Its got the lot its got a great cast, its got a great storyline , the characters, you can love and hate in the same episode, a little bit of corny stuff very briefly, but got great drama and is bloody funny, plenty of action, girls and boys and fun.

But very good acting, I am bloody amazed I 'd never heard of it, I think an FreeTooAir station had season 5 for a fill in during non ratings? Hell it would have annihilated a ratings period.
IT IS DEFINITELY GOLD!
THAT SOME STATIONS TREATED LIKE LEAD. Stupidly of course, this is a goodie.

Back