Undrafted player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
There is a shortage of draft related threads on our board at the moment so I thought I would start one.

Now that the dust has settled on the national draft, rookie draft and the bumper preseason draft, who are the players that didn't get picked up that you think should have been and/or will at some stage?

Where are they going to play this season?

One I'll throw up is Zac Dumesny. Thought from people's description early in the season (rangy utility, good skills, doing ok at league level) that he was a lock but heard his name less and less as the season wore on and he didn't get a gong, despite every other South Adelaide footballer being drafted.

Next under the microscope in our AFL Draft watch is South Adelaide’s Zac Dumesny, who hit the ground running this year with appearances at SANFL League level across the first six rounds. Standing at 187cm, Dumesny is a utility who can play a touch above his height with terrific reading of the play and marking prowess, while also providing clean skills at ground level. The Panthers product is apt on each line; able to intercept and deliver off half-back, link the arcs on a wing, or provide an outlet up forward. With versatility in spades, Dumesny sits on the precipice of first round calculations.

ThaMuffinMan

Debutant
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
There was a press conference with Hamish posted earlier on the clubs youtube where when asked if we had someone in mind for the Gibbs spot once we can vacate it he stated that we already had a kid who'd committed to coming over and training with us, that could end up being Kolar who twomey had linked to us

Peter Doherty

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2007
Arcadia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks
There was a press conference with Hamish posted earlier on the clubs youtube where when asked if we had someone in mind for the Gibbs spot once we can vacate it he stated that we already had a kid who'd committed to coming over and training with us, that could end up being Kolar who twomey had linked to us

Kinda sounded like a mature aged rookie who could come in and play right away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
As far as I have worked out, there are still 17 Cat A rookie spots up for grabs, come the new year. So still a chance for the kids that missed out (although, some AFL-experienced guys will get another chance, as well). Of course, clubs aren't compelled to fill these spots.

Crows - 1
Bris 1, Carl 1, Coll 2, Ess 1, Melb 2, Nth 1, Port 1, Rich 2, StK 3, Syd 2.

Teams with Cat B vacancies - Carl 1, Frem 1, Haw 1, Melb 1, Nth 1, Port 1, Rich 1, StK 1, WB 1, WC 2. However, I'm not sure whether these can be filled from this point on. I'm thinking not.

morris086

Club Legend
Mar 29, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
I really liked the sound of Liam Kolar when his name was raised recently, 195cm with elite pace and endurance and being he is a somewhat late convert from soccer his ceiling is potentially quite high. Hamish mentioned in his presser today that we already have someone who has agreed to "come over" and train with us hopefully its Kolar.

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamish clearly said the SSP player will be to fill a need - so what’s our biggest need?

We’ve got KPP forwards and backs, half back flankers, inside mids, goal kicking forwards.

What do we lack - outside speed?

Gets!

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Callow could be one that trains with us also?

Dumesny?

dogs105

Sweet Kennels Proprietor
Jan 12, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Former first round pick Daniel Gorringe didn't get any bites

Crowked

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 14, 2004
The other end of the foot bridge
AFL Club
Adelaide
Former first round pick Daniel Gorringe didn't get any bites
Might be because he’s a complete toss bag and everyone knows it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad