Undrafted player watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinge, Borlase, Worrel. How many 3rd talls do we need?
Hinge isn't a 3rd tall type, Worrell is more likely to play forward/wing roaming between the arcs and Borlase was picked as a rookie the same as Murray or Taylor if they're added to our list....Taylor easily the most athletic of all the rookies.

Hinge isn't a 3rd tall type, Worrell is more likely to play forward/wing roaming between the arcs and Borlase was picked as a rookie the same as Murray or Taylor if they're added to our list....Taylor easily the most athletic of all the rookies.
That is where i see Worrell having the most value for us long term .

Has Taylor played a good game of footy yet, though?

Has Taylor played a good game of footy yet, though?
Made the best players for the Northern Knights quite often and obviously showed enough in the aborted 2020 season's scratch matches to be invited back.

All his games are on the NAB League's youtube channel maybe go look for yourself then maybe you can make an INFORMED opinion.

Made the best players for the Northern Knights quite often and obviously showed enough in the aborted 2020 season's scratch matches to be invited back.

All his games are on the NAB League's youtube channel maybe go look for yourself then maybe you can make an INFORMED opinion.
Looking at the results at https://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=ROUND&round=-1&client=1-3020-0-518307-0&pool=1 he comes up 5 or 6 times in the bests.

I guess that's not terrible, though there's a lot of players in his team who were in the bests more often and not drafted.

Look - I just find it an incredibly underwhelming idea. He was the absolute last person added to a list in the entire competition. You'd hope we'd have someone better available.

Looking at the results at https://websites.sportstg.com/comp_info.cgi?a=ROUND&round=-1&client=1-3020-0-518307-0&pool=1 he comes up 5 or 6 times in the bests.

I guess that's not terrible, though there's a lot of players in his team who were in the bests more often and not drafted.

Look - I just find it an incredibly underwhelming idea. He was the absolute last person added to a list in the entire competition. You'd hope we'd have someone better available.
If you've not ever seen him play how can you pass judgement?

If you've not ever seen him play how can you pass judgement?
He was the absolute very last person selected in the 2019 draft process. After the midyear draft and main draft and PSD and Rookie and all other SSP selections, he was stone cold motherless last selected.

Nothing against the lad, but I'm not sure how else to tell you that I find keeping the very last kid selected in the schoolyard to be underwhelming.

And considering that we're now thousands of posts into discussion on the 2020 draft, has your position changed to only opinions from "people who have seen the players play full games".

I saw the highlights last year. Seemed athletic. Played CHB and wouldn't be able to in an AFL structure. I felt underwhelmed.

He was the absolute very last person selected in the 2019 draft process. After the midyear draft and main draft and PSD and Rookie and all other SSP selections, he was stone cold motherless last selected.

Nothing against the lad, but I'm not sure how else to tell you that I find keeping the very last kid selected in the schoolyard to be underwhelming.

And considering that we're now thousands of posts into discussion on the 2020 draft, has your position changed to only opinions from "people who have seen the players play full games".

I saw the highlights last year. Seemed athletic. Played CHB and wouldn't be able to in an AFL structure. I felt underwhelmed.
Most players chosen last in the schoolyard have a "chink" .....can be physical, but it also can be mental

Sydney Stack was in a similar position to Taylor, and you wouldn't say he's not every bit an AFL footballer ......but also some develop much slower than most at 18 YO (Butts)

Rutten was too slow & too short to play AFL .....impacted also by a knee reco ....and look what happened with him

1608442044531.png

From what I've seen of Murray (albeit a snapshot) ...he looks great in the air, not a great groundball player, with iffy kicking

So what exactly is your argument then? Your reasoning against this kid must also apply to anyone we take in his place. In fact they are worse, because absolutely nobody would have taken them as yet. Not even us, taking them stone cold motherless last.

Most players chosen last in the schoolyard have a "chink" .....can be physical, but it also can be mental

Sydney Stack was in a similar position to Taylor, and you wouldn't say he's not every bit an AFL footballer ......but also some develop much slower than most at 18 YO (Butts)

Rutten was too slow & too short to play AFL .....impacted also by a knee reco ....and look what happened with him

View attachment 1030598

From what I've seen of Murray (albeit a snapshot) ...he looks great in the air, not a great groundball player, with iffy kicking
Taylor had mixed Basketball with football until 2019 when he jettisoned the basketball to go all in on football, for a lad that had only played some footy at local level standard he showed he could play at the much higher level NAB League and no doubt Hamish/Steve McCrystal saw the potential and obvious upside he offered in an elite football system. Then there was his Combine testing where his top class athleticism showed with excellent testing for speed, agility and top standard in the jumps tests. Unlike Kristof I think he has plenty to offer for the future especially as a rookie spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what exactly is your argument then? Your reasoning against this kid must also apply to anyone we take in his place. In fact they are worse, because absolutely nobody would have taken them as yet. Not even us, taking them stone cold motherless last.
With Ayce, everyone else that was a SSP was already taken, in a year where the draftee pool has also lost players to the midyear draft and more players were taken in the main drafts.

Ayce was the 127th player selected (not counting Cat B selections).

There have been 84 players selected so far this year.

If they take him, fine. I'm not anti the kid, or actively against the selection. I just said it felt underwhelming.

With Ayce, everyone else that was a SSP was already taken, in a year where the draftee pool has also lost players to the midyear draft and more players were taken in the main drafts.

Ayce was the 127th player selected (not counting Cat B selections).

There have been 84 players selected so far this year.

If they take him, fine. I'm not anti the kid, or actively against the selection. I just said it felt underwhelming.

The alternative is to take no one.. which is more underwhelming... we had the last possible pick in the system due to the way we paid out Gibbs.. his replacement could never have been anything but “underwhelming”...

Personally, I’d have rather we kept a spot open and kept an eye on Ayce and everyone else until the mid season draft.. but that’s nothing against him... I’d just have preferred we did that with Gibbs’ rookie spot.

The alternative is to take no one.. which is more underwhelming... we had the last possible pick in the system due to the way we paid out Gibbs.. his replacement could never have been anything but “underwhelming”...

Personally, I’d have rather we kept a spot open and kept an eye on Ayce and everyone else until the mid season draft.. but that’s nothing against him... I’d just have preferred we did that with Gibbs’ rookie spot.
Neither of our training guys are likely to be nabbed by another club, not are they likely to get games at the start of the year. I'd similarly prefer to keep a spot for midyear draft, and if they area best available then, pick them at that point.

Yeah, agreed about having a spot for midyear.

Any thoughts on Murray ? Personally wouldn’t have thought he was a need
Seen quite a bit of him , I rate key defender the least most urgent list need so it’s a bit of a funny one

he’s very courageous and tough , a strong intercept mark but he lacks speed/ agility

kind of a similar profile to Borlaise so it doesn’t really make sense to me

would have thought a project like Kolar that can run but needs development would be a better option

Seen quite a bit of him , I rate key defender the least most urgent list need so it’s a bit of a funny one

he’s very courageous and tough , a strong intercept mark but he lacks speed/ agility

kind of a similar profile to Borlaise so it doesn’t really make sense to me

would have thought a project like Kolar that can run but needs development would be a better option
Both Murray and Taylor even though they've played key back roles at the lower level they're not doing that at AFL level....both are excellent intercept marks and I have an inkling they're being looked at as Tom Doedee insurance. A role IMO Jordan Butts could play at AFL level given his athleticism and endurance, indeed intercept marking was a feature in his time at the Murray Bushrangers.

Both Murray and Taylor even though they've played key back roles at the lower level they're not doing that at AFL level....both are excellent intercept marks and I have an inkling they're being looked at as Tom Doedee insurance. A role IMO Jordan Butts could play at AFL level given his athleticism and endurance, indeed intercept marking was a feature in his time at the Murray Bushrangers.
In Murray case Just too similar to Borlaise in my opinion as doesn’t have to be movement or agility of Doedee

In Murray case Just too similar to Borlaise in my opinion as doesn’t have to be movement or agility of Doedee

Maybe we want a replacement for Worrell.

I would have thought the point is that due to no u18 vic footy there's likely to be a few kids who went undrafted that would have jumped up the order had a season gone again. And yet we seem to be half committed to a guy that had every opportunity to be drafted by 17 other clubs last year but wasn't.

I have a general feeling of being underwhelmed. When a 3rd attempt small forward goes in the 30s, it's hard to think much of the draft after the first round or so. I'm happy to be wrong, but I won't be surprised if lots of WA/SA players prove to have gone 2 rounds earlier than they would in a normal draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back