Unexpected footballer encounters

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Yay offseason

Anyway a good thread I’ve seen on UK soccer boards…

What are the most unexpected places you’ve run into current or ex AFL players?

Please note – Saturday night in a nightclub doesn’t qualify. Has to be a genuine “what is he doing there?” thing.

Mine – was walking through the city post-dinner with the missus some years back, on a weeknight… and up ahead, literally in the gutter, was some big random drunk sucking on a cigarette and mumbling incoherent effing this and effing that to nobody in particular.

We get closer and it’s none other than Coleman medallist Scott Cummings.

Over to you…

Was walking past Arden Street after a swim the other day and bumped into Ben Jacobs. Like, we did that awkward footpath tango thing where one goes one way and the other follows. Was kind of weird. Now obviously you'd expect to see Ben Jacobs walking into Arden Street.

BUT - I looked around and couldn't see Trent Cotchin anywhere. So Ben must have finally let him off the leash, possibly so he can spend time with his family. I thought that was nice.

BUT - I looked around and couldn't see Trent Cotchin anywhere. So Ben must have finally let him off the leash, possibly so he can spend time with his family. I thought that was nice.
Saw Wayne Carey coming out of a bathroom recently. Amazingly, nobody's missus was in there.

Saw Wayne Carey coming out of a bathroom recently. Amazingly, nobody's missus was in there.

Should you really be letting off such SICK BURNS in this weather mate?

People might get hurt.

You're right. Somebody might melt.

Thing is, I did actually see Ben Jacobs and made a joke about the last game Trent Cotchin played.

You've never seen Wayne Carey in your life except in the middle of the MCG. Yet so damaged are you by that Elim loss you bring up crap from over a decade ago.

Sad really.

Around about the same time 6 or 7 years ago, I saw Gary Ayres at a ten pin bowling centre, and John Platten at an ice skating rink.

Edit: must have been about 10/11 years ago I saw Ayres as he finished coaching in Adelaide in 2004.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recently seen Fev on Chapel St, wanted to come into the venue I was working at, had to kindly decline as we were closing up for the night, was very nice about the whole thing said thank you shook my hand and walked off.

Used to frequently see Jarrad Waite and many other Carlton rookies on Londsdale St, I was the doorman at a place called Club Retro, Waite and co would come by most Saturday nights, would walk around like they ran the joint, was satisfying when he would come up too me asking to push in the line, would make him line up with everybody else. :thumbsu::footy:

Also seen Richmonds very own Adam Pattison a few times at Retro as well, was surprised to see him puffing down a dart at the time, didn't think football players smoked, but most I've come across always seem to have a smoke in there hand.

Met Jake King, Graham Polak and a couple other boys one night when I was working at Camberwell hotel, some time after Polak was hit by a tram, Polak was off his **** and the boys were walking him out, Polak decides he can walk on his own, walks out into the middle of the road and was literally cms away from getting hit by a tram again.

They wrote a song about that evening...

Wayne: "My life is over, I was addicted to s e x"
Sally: "I'm in a clinic, our marriage he wrecks"
Kellie: "I signed a contract, with New Idea"
Anthony:"Turned out okay, I'll captain this year"
Wayne: "Oh Kangaroos, what have I done, oh I hate those teammate's wives"
Teammates: "Well ah, well ah, well ah, well, tell us more, tell us
more"

Back in 2012, I was behind the bar at work folding tea towels on cup day

After about the 50Th person asking if we had a tab (we don't), I was fed up, does it look like we have one!?!

Anyway, a bloke comes in, and asks that dreaded question
When he didn't understand my directions to the nearest one, I disgustingly look up, to find grant birchall standing there

Needless to say, the next 10 minutes the bar had to hold me.up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back