Unintended consequences mid-season draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2004
Under the Punt Rd Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Stated goal: Allow clubs with injury problems to try someone from a state league.

Unintended consequence: Drive out players to early retirement so kids can be drafted.

The AFL are pretty spectacular at not seeing the likely results of their actions. Maybe hire professional ethicists who predict consequences for a living rather than ex-sportpersons.

By the way, I am not against the mid-season draft. I just think wiser heads need to design rule changes at the AFL.

Neither Tom Boyd or Shaun Grigg have played a game in 2019--

There's no guarantee that either player would've gotten their body or mind right before the end of the year anyway. I believe the mid-season draft is a positive for these players and their clubs because they are no longer "draining" the club by taking up a spot on a list when they are unable to play anyway.

I like the term "Unintended consequence" but I would suggest removing your tinfoil hat before stating that one of those is that clubs are "Driving players out".

Players have never had any reason to retire before the end of a season, if the player wants to do right by a club and doesn't feel he is able to commit, and there is a benefit to be made for a club by that individual retiring then who's to say it isn't the player picking up the phone and saying maybe this is the best thing for both of us.

Chris Grant said himself that they had not even contemplated the mid-season draft repercussions when he was asked, yes, I know, that doesn't make it factual but if you watch the interview he almost seemed that he was taken back by the question leading me to believe that it was an honest answer, from somebody that's always been an honest bloke.

Shaun Grigg said in his parting speech it would save him limping into August before retiring and it gives him a feeling he is doing one last favour to the club who gave him so much.

Tom Boyd was asked if he wanted to try another long break then build again but the challenge of rebuilding fitness to AFL level even if it was for 2020 was too much for him physically and mentally. He needs to know that he can move into the future without looking back. He too is walking away from a lot of money so I am sure it gives him comfort that he may be doing one last favour to his club.

Clubs in the mid year draft will be taking players which 6 months ago they passed on so its no panacea for these clubs who are covering losses.

These 3 ruckmen, Boyd, Grigg and Draper are unlikely to be easily replaced.

Shaun Grigg said in his parting speech it would save him limping into August before retiring and it gives him a feeling he is doing one last favour to the club who gave him so much.

Tom Boyd was asked if he wanted to try another long break then build again but the challenge of rebuilding fitness to AFL level even if it was for 2020 was too much for him physically and mentally. He needs to know that he can move into the future without looking back. He too is walking away from a lot of money so I am sure it gives him comfort that he may be doing one last favour to his club.

Clubs in the mid year draft will be taking players which 6 months ago they passed on so its no panacea for these clubs who are covering losses.

These 3 ruckmen, Boyd, Grigg and Draper are unlikely to be easily replaced.

I for one hope we can find the next Zac Clarke

The reason I don't like the mid-season draft is because I feel like once the season starts, your list should be locked and loaded for the year and that is kind of sacred. I find it shallow in American sports, particularly the NBA how they can change half the roster in the middle of the year. This is not as extreme as that, but still the idea of someone being part of a team for only half a season is a bit off.

It's another slight Americanisation of our sport

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stated goal: Allow clubs with injury problems to try someone from a state league.

Unintended consequence: Drive out players to early retirement so kids can be drafted.

The AFL are pretty spectacular at not seeing the likely results of their actions. Maybe hire professional ethicists who predict consequences for a living rather than ex-sportpersons.

By the way, I am not against the mid-season draft. I just think wiser heads need to design rule changes at the AFL.
I don't know.

These guys would likely be retiring at end of season. They still get a payout and TBH could be relieved.

Another benefit is the opportunity to get their bodies and heads right, still on AFL pay and try to get picked up the following season by a different club, or pursue a role in coaching etc.

I don't think anyone has been forced out, yet.

As for your other point, my thought was also that it was for mature age guys to come in and full a hole straight away. It does appear as though it's just going to be used on young guys, kind of like a mini rookie draft. So that's different than the intended goal.

I hope some mature guys get a go, but if it does go the way of more young kids getting picked then so be it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back