Unique or obscure music you like

Remove this Banner Ad

I hear this watching of all things a mountain biking video and it made me think there must be so much music out there that is differnt from what you would normally listen to.

I'd love to get some of the unique or obscure songs or genera you like.

Anyway, I never even knew that Bengali Disco Jazz was even a thing.

Heard Hugh Bonneville (Lord Grantham from Downtown Abbey) interviewed and he mentioned this album that he had collaborated on with English composer Damien Montague. Spoken word, piano and horns. Not my usual style, but a very well put together work.

Souad Massi - Raoul (Live). Souad Massi is an Algerian singer/songwriter.

Francoise Hardy - Tous Les Garcons. Francoise Hardy is a French Euro Pop star from the 60's.

Rodrigo y Gabriela - Tamacun. I'm not sure how well known these guys are here, but they very well known in their native Mexico and the US.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unbelievable combination of chanting and classical orchestrations in which the piercing chants serve as the most powerful rhythms I have ever heard. One of the most stunning albums I have ever heard.

Hypnotic beauty, like shortened versions of songs on Hejira played with two basses and almost no guitar to accompany a gorgeous voice

Unique microtonal Polynesian choir music, some out as amazingly tuneful and powerful

Last edited:
Earth & Fire - Memories.
I've only discovered these guys recently myself.
Earth & Fire were a Dutch Prog/Symphonic Rock band that released their debut album in 1970.
Their first three albums are highly regarded, Memories is my favorite song which was released in 1972.

Taken from this page

Twelve-string guitar meditations, long instrumentals, drone based. Eastern themes. Then after a couple of tracks, a very strange vocal, like a dreamlike classical/folk hybrid, long sustained notes in a warbling vibrato.

He was born Daniel Robinson in 1940 in Baltimore, Maryland. At school he became friendly with John Fahey, already a guitar exponent, and by the age of 19 was playing guitar, exploring Oriental thought and calling himself Robbie Basho, after the Japanese poet Bashō. Along with Fahey, Leo Kottke and others who would become more famous, Basho wanted to raise the profile of the twelve-string guitar and steel-string guitar generally to classical concert status.

He tried to bring the raga form into Western music, and his fans remember him as the ‘Father of the American Raga’. His pieces, almost all on twelve-string, include elements of Indian music and the modern classical tradition, notably Bartok. It goes without saying he never found any commercial success or even critical acclaim during his lifetime. But in California, at a time when experimentalism in music could find financial supporters, he seemed to impress enough people to be able to record a series of albums between 1965 and 1974. Even after he ran out of record company support, he privately released cassette albums right up to his death.

He had a deeply serious approach to his music, studying the sarod with Ali Akbar Khan and using open tunings on the twelve-string to provide a drone for improvisations in scales from the Middle and Far East, and Indian subcontinent. In various phases of his life, he was influenced by Japanese, Hindu and Native American spirituality, although his longest connection seems to have been Meher Baba, the Iranian/Indian guru followed by Pete Townshend and Ronnie Lane among others. He appears to have been a lonely and intense character.

Guitarist Henry Kaiser (who has played with Richard Thompson among others) said he was going to see a Basho show in Berkeley in the late 70s when he came across the forlorn musician in front of the venue.

“There’s nobody here,” Basho said.

“Well I’m here,” replied his dedicated fan.

So he got a private show.

“Basho is a great example of somebody who’s a true original,” Kaiser said. “It’s impressive how much stuff he figured out so quickly.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back