Discussion Unique/rare guernsey combinations

Have Freo ever worn white shorts with the new purple guernsey?
241082.jpg

261188.jpg

292705.jpg

2011 R22 - North Melbourne v Fremantle at Docklands
2012 R13 - Fremantle v Essendon at Subiaco
2013 R14 - Geelong Cats v Fremantle at Kardinia

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't think either team needs to wear white shorts in this case. Removing the white from Brisbane's kit will increase the contrast between the two teams. Navy vs Royal shorts would be fine considering how different the guernseys are here.

I agree that they're would be a little bit more contrast if Geelong went with white shorts but I don't think it's necessary.

Jun 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
Just because Geelong is the home team, doesn't mean they have to wear navy shorts. It means they get to wear their main jumper in home games.
They don't have to, the choose to. That's what they have deemed to be their home uniform. That automatically puts the opposition in white shorts, except Sydney and Gold Coast, who seem to be exempt from the white shorts rule.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
I don't think either team needs to wear white shorts in this case. Removing the white from Brisbane's kit will increase the contrast between the two teams. Navy vs Royal shorts would be fine considering how different the guernseys are here.

I agree that they're would be a little bit more contrast if Geelong went with white shorts but I don't think it's necessary.

Yeah, this is something the clubs have really clung onto and it's so outdated.

Wearing white shorts with a home guernsey to play away against a team that has a big blocks of white on their guernsey actually increases the level of clash.

Nobody should be wearing white shorts with a home guernsey against St Kilda or Collingwood, for example. The worst regular visual matchup in the AFL is Carlton wearing a navy guernsey and white shorts away to Collingwood.

I'm a big believer that Collingwood should market themselves as having 2 home guernseys and they should wear the white based or the black based strip depending on opponent, even when at home. Traditional guernsey every week no matter what. No other club can claim that.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
We didn't choose that combination because it looks terrible, White/White looks a million times better

Fair enough. If it were Port I'd rather the black guernsey with white shorts than all white, except I wouldn't because superstitions say we've never won a final in the black one.

Sent from mTalk

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
White shorts is the stupidest thing. Is there a reason Melbourne couldn't wear red in their clash? Brisbane the bright blue/red? Bulldogs red? West Coast the bright blue? Adelaide red?

Why do so many people have an aversion to alternate coloured shorts, except yellow which is understandable?

Sent from mTalk

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah, this is something the clubs have really clung onto and it's so outdated.

Wearing white shorts with a home guernsey to play away against a team that has a big blocks of white on their guernsey actually increases the level of clash.

Nobody should be wearing white shorts with a home guernsey against St Kilda or Collingwood, for example. The worst regular visual matchup in the AFL is Carlton wearing a navy guernsey and white shorts away to Collingwood.

I'm a big believer that Collingwood should market themselves as having 2 home guernseys and they should wear the white based or the black based strip depending on opponent, even when at home. Traditional guernsey every week no matter what. No other club can claim that.

Yeah the white shorts away rule is such a relic and it puts an unnecessary limitation on the aesthetics of alternate kits.

I'd like to see some of these combos getting around when possible.

BL Fitzroy red with royal shorts
BL yellow clash with maroon shorts
WCE yellow wings with royal shorts
Sydney white clash with red shorts
Adelaide white/yellow with navy shorts
Richmond yellow with black shorts
WB white clash with royal shorts

People always say design a clash jumper you'd be happy to wear in a GF, but I'd go even further and say design an alternate kit (inc shorts and socks) that rivals your home kit.

Jun 12, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
What teams look good with white shorts and their home top? I can really only say Port and Sydney...

Sent from mTalk

I think Carlton looks pretty slick with white shorts but only if they're playing someone who doesn't have white in their palette e.g. Essendon, Richmond, Hawthorn

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Just Port IMO. Maybe Carlton and maybe St Kilda.

The prison bars work better with white shorts, and easily so.

Nov 20, 2011
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Portsmouth
They don't have to, the choose to. That's what they have deemed to be their home uniform. That automatically puts the opposition in white shorts, except Sydney and Gold Coast, who seem to be exempt from the white shorts rule.

That's not the rule anymore (Big 4 and most Victorian clubs excepted, as well as Showdowns). Geelong have a white uniform and the AFL puts them in white shorts because that's their new ruling. It's why North changed their jumper because they had this mediocre and archaic view that the white shorts automatically meant they were the away team which is false.

Back