University Research Project on Transgender Inclusion in Cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Unistudent500

Draftee
Jan 19, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi everyone:

I am a student at the University of South Australia, and I am posting here to see if you would be interested in participating in my short survey. I received permission from the moderators and this project has been approved by the University of South Australia's Human Research Ethics Committee Ethics Protocol 203610.

My research topic is exploring transgender inclusion in the AFL and Cricket Australia. This entails analysing policy documents, news media articles, and collecting and understanding fans thoughts and perspectives on this matter. To collect and understand fans views on transgender inclusion, I have created a survey that should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. The survey is completely voluntary, and if you decide to participate, you will remain entirely anonymous. The only information collected will be your gender, age range, Australian state of residence, and favourite cricket team. The main part of the survey will contain three open-ended questions that simply ask you your thoughts and perspectives on the inclusion of transgender athletes in cricket and broader sport.

For more information about the study and your participation, please click the link to the survey:

https://doit.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1Xth6txnUYB5Ayi

Thank you for your time.

Unistudent500

Draftee
Jan 19, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi everyone:

I am a student at the University of South Australia, and I am posting here to see if you would be interested in participating in my short survey. I received permission from the moderators and this project has been approved by the University of South Australia's Human Research Ethics Committee Ethics Protocol 203610.

My research topic is exploring transgender inclusion in the AFL and Cricket Australia. This entails analysing policy documents, news media articles, and collecting and understanding fans thoughts and perspectives on this matter. To collect and understand fans views on transgender inclusion, I have created a survey that should take no more than 10 minutes to complete. The survey is completely voluntary, and if you decide to participate, you will remain entirely anonymous. The only information collected will be your gender, age range, Australian state of residence, and favourite cricket team. The main part of the survey will contain three open-ended questions that simply ask you your thoughts and perspectives on the inclusion of transgender athletes in cricket and broader sport.

For more information about the study and your participation, please click the link to the survey:

Thank you for your time.
Survey is still live if anyone can spare a few minutes! Thanks to those who have checked it out and shared their thoughts.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi everyone:

Thank you for your time.
Done. Some interesting questions. All the best with your research.

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hi everyone:

Thank you for your time.
I don't know if you want this to be a discussion here, but the biggest concern is player safety. I've always been of the opinion that adults can live their life as they please, providing they don't hurt others. I'm all for inclusion is almost all aspects of life. However, there does seem to be a general concern in the community that in sports, M>F transgender athletes may possess unfair physical attributes if competing in a woman's competition. Not only that they may be physically stronger, bigger and faster and thus make the competition unfair, but also that they could cause significant injury/death due to being stronger/bigger/faster.

There was a quote in the survey (I cant get back in to see the actual quote) that said something along the lines of "trans rights override these concerns". I don't think that's an acceptable position at all, and it's a very shallow and selfish position to take. A rational, scientific position must surely be possible, and indeed from a WHS and duty of care position, absolutely vital to protect sportspeople.

Interested in your thoughts on this or what your research has shown.

Richard Pryor

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't know if you want this to be a discussion here, but the biggest concern is player safety. I've always been of the opinion that adults can live their life as they please, providing they don't hurt others. I'm all for inclusion is almost all aspects of life. However, there does seem to be a general concern in the community that in sports, M>F transgender athletes may possess unfair physical attributes if competing in a woman's competition. Not only that they may be physically stronger, bigger and faster and thus make the competition unfair, but also that they could cause significant injury/death due to being stronger/bigger/faster.

There was a quote in the survey (I cant get back in to see the actual quote) that said something along the lines of "trans rights override these concerns". I don't think that's an acceptable position at all, and it's a very shallow and selfish position to take. A rational, scientific position must surely be possible, and indeed from a WHS and duty of care position, absolutely vital to protect sportspeople.

Interested in your thoughts on this or what your research has shown.
While I feel this discussion has been more or less done to death on the AFL Board (although I will add while cricket is a "non-contact" sport I do feel the same safety issues potentially arise due to fast bowling, although it is much less of an issue than in contact sports) I concur that I would be interested to see results of research if unistudent is permitted to share them.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Cricket is a more quality dependent sport when it comes to the physical dangers.

You can break bones at any level of afl football. A danger exacerbated by putting female bodies up against men.

In cricket as there are many competitions that have women playing against men, women do not play a grade of cricket that they cannot physically handle

Walt Kowalski

Team Captain
Apr 24, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Cricket is a more quality dependent sport when it comes to the physical dangers.

You can break bones at any level of afl football. A danger exacerbated by putting female bodies up against men.

In cricket as there are many competitions that have women playing against men, women do not play a grade of cricket that they cannot physically handle
As a genuine question, what standard do you think a state women's cricket team would be competitive in in men's comps?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unistudent500

Draftee
Jan 19, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
While I feel this discussion has been more or less done to death on the AFL Board (although I will add while cricket is a "non-contact" sport I do feel the same safety issues potentially arise due to fast bowling, although it is much less of an issue than in contact sports) I concur that I would be interested to see results of research if unistudent is permitted to share them.
I would have to check and make sure what I put in ethics regarding sharing the research when it is finished. There is the potential I could post a summary of the results on this forum for you all to take a look at. I may not be able to do that though. I know in my ethics I said that if you did the survey, I can answer research questions (possibly results) by email. You can private message me and I can share my email with you if you didn't get it from the survey.

Remove this Banner Ad