Unluckiest player to miss out

Remove this Banner Ad

During our drought years of 2011-2022, we had plenty of players that played a game that unfortunately missed out on the glory of either bookend. Some were able to find ultimate success at other clubs (Caddy, Vardy), but some missed out entirely or have yet to have their chance.

316687178_1128443244536525_4367489132347989621_n.png

If you could give one player a premiership who missed out (and you think would deserve or deserved one due to their contributions), who would it be?

During our drought years of 2011-2022, we had plenty of players that played a game that unfortunately missed out on the glory of either bookend. Some were able to find ultimate success at other clubs (Caddy, Vardy), but some missed out entirely or have yet to have their chance.

If you could give one player a premiership who missed out (and you think would deserve or deserved one due to their contributions), who would it be?

A tie between Max Holmes 2022 and Dan Menzel 2011

For me its either Esava Ratugolea or Sam Menegola, mostly because of their contributions over the few years building to the success of the 2022 team, and at the same time because it looks difficult right now for either player to break into the side to potentially win another in the near future. Pushed, I'd give it to Esava.

There'd be a few more possible additions to that table if you include players who won flags in '07 or '09, missed out in '11, and played for us 2012-. Ablett is one, but I'm sure there must be others.

edit: Actually, the only other one I can find is Shannon Byrnes, who missed in 2011 and played another four games for us in 2012.

Last edited:
Menegola is very unlucky purely because he has had to work so hard to get back on an afl list, became best 22, borderline AA then fell out only because of injury and ran out of time to squeezs back in. And at his age that might be his last chance to win a flag.

Henderson was also very unlucky, played in some awful losing teams before he came to us, then was solid best 22, unluckily delisted and fought his way back from that so well, deserved a flag. In a way him retiring was a blessing as if allowed sdk to emerge but also sydney were so bad in the GF that even if we had no sdk and hendo instead i have no doubt we still would have won, so hes unlucky.

Gazza is the obvious other unlucky one, yes he chose GC but he missed his best flag chance years and then really we bottled the 2020 GF it should have been over at half time and that would have been a wonderful way for him to go out.

Behind them menzel also very unlucky as with him fit we probably win 2013 and hes a flag player and the knees wrecked his chances after.

Ditto rivers, played all the dark years at melbourne, was very very good for us but thanks to some abomination finals from us (2013 prelim mainly) missed a flag.

Motlop isnt unlucky in my view as he chose to leave rather than had bad luck and still went to a contending club

Holmes desperately unlucky as a breakout year deserved a flag but unlike menegola and hendo he still has time on his side so a good chance to win another one.
Dahl also unlucky in some ways if we had the gameplan in 2021 that we had in 2022 (as he wasnt quite cooked yet in 2021) we probably win the flag that year and hes probably in the flag team.

But still menegola by far the unluckiest for mine.

Menegola is very unlucky purely because he has had to work so hard to get back on an afl list, became best 22, borderline AA then fell out only because of injury and ran out of time to squeezs back in. And at his age that might be his last chance to win a flag.

Henderson was also very unlucky, played in some awful losing teams before he came to us, then was solid best 22, unluckily delisted and fought his way back from that so well, deserved a flag. In a way him retiring was a blessing as if allowed sdk to emerge but also sydney were so bad in the GF that even if we had no sdk and hendo instead i have no doubt we still would have won, so hes unlucky.

Gazza is the obvious other unlucky one, yes he chose GC but he missed his best flag chance years and then really we bottled the 2020 GF it should have been over at half time and that would have been a wonderful way for him to go out.

Behind them menzel also very unlucky as with him fit we probably win 2013 and hes a flag player and the knees wrecked his chances after.

Ditto rivers, played all the dark years at melbourne, was very very good for us but thanks to some abomination finals from us (2013 prelim mainly) missed a flag.

Motlop isnt unlucky in my view as he chose to leave rather than had bad luck and still went to a contending club

Holmes desperately unlucky as a breakout year deserved a flag but unlike menegola and hendo he still has time on his side so a good chance to win another one.
Dahl also unlucky in some ways if we had the gameplan in 2021 that we had in 2022 (as he wasnt quite cooked yet in 2021) we probably win the flag that year and hes probably in the flag team.

But still menegola by far the unluckiest for mine.

Absolutely brilliant post by yourself - summed it up perfectly - named the 6-7 who were unlucky - and gave the reasons why etc

But the opening post - listing all those poosible unlucky Geelong players - it isnt pleasant reading - because there are stacks and stacks and stacks of absolute shockers

But the opening post - listing all those poosible unlucky Geelong players - it isnt pleasant reading - because there are stacks and stacks and stacks of absolute shockers

There's players there that I don't remember at all, or only remember faintly. Who was Michael Luxford? Or Brad Hartman? And how does someone, Parsons, who played 35 games and kicked 26 goals be so unmemorable?

There's players there that I don't remember at all, or only remember faintly. Who was Michael Luxford? Or Brad Hartman? And how does someone, Parsons, who played 35 games and kicked 26 goals be so unmemorable?
Michael luxford and James parsons are household names in my house

Luxford was a cat b basketball rookie who we hoped would be great but played a couple of games then disappeared. Played for essendons vfl side for a while.

Parsons was an odd one, showed some flashes in his first few games, got a 3 year extension and was never the same player after just marked time til delisting. At hawks vfl side now.

Hartman had so much talent but the inner drive to be an afl player and dedication (to fitness etc) just wasnt there. For a late pick he could have been as good as close if he had the drive but alas afl isnt for everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Egan.
Was a young AA key back and a vital part of our 2007 season, injured during the last round of the home and away and never played again.
Got right to the finish line at the start of our Great Dynasty and missed every single success.
Others like Menzel atleast had the chance to play and push for success afterwards, Egan never got the chance.

In spirit of having the best defence of the past 20 years I'll go with Jared Rivers or Lachie Henderson.

It's just too easy to throw names up like Egan, Menegola, Menzel, Holmes in my opinion. I'm different.

Menegola from the period of 2011-2022. Desperately unlucky not to have a premiership, I think he still has a chance to be a meaningful player in 2023 so not without a chance of being a premiership player.

From the period immediately prior to 2007, sando was super unlucky. He was a stalwart during a crap period for the club and was done just before we came good in 2007. Steven king would have been in the same boat but he was recalled just in time for 2007.

Egan.
Was a young AA key back and a vital part of our 2007 season, injured during the last round of the home and away and never played again.
Got right to the finish line at the start of our Great Dynasty and missed every single success.
Others like Menzel atleast had the chance to play and push for success afterwards, Egan never got the chance.

Some really worthy nominations but Matthew Egan is the one that hits hardest for me; Menzel and Holmes fit the same criteria too; incredibly talented, almost emblematic players who fell at the last hurdle and missed premiership glory, despite their truncated peaks coinciding with ultimate Geelong victory.

He was so good, seriously could have been anything. Menzel's story of coming back again and again is inspirational in it's own right, but Matty Egan was just playing so, so well in 2007; for mine he should have been in the conversation for best CHB of this generation along with Harry Taylor and Tom Harley.

How about GAS

Think of all he did personally to get their and could not have the team around him on the day to get it done with 4 chances....

There are harder luck stories for sure.. but IMO GAS deserves one too

GO Catters

Egan.

I didnt include egan purely because the OP set the time period as 2011-2022 and egan was medically retired by then but i agree he was the unluckiest in the sense that he never got another chance to even play and try to get to and win finals again (whereas menegola might potentially get the chance next year as holmes definitely will and a lot of your rivers/hendo/gazza types etc at least got to get close to winning flags as painful as falling short was). Had the footy world at his feet and then his broken foot ruined it. Good to see him have such a role in us winning this year as a coach and he seems to be such a good development coach too.

Earlier than the specified range... Riccadi is unlucky. In an era of 5 on the bench... he could have played anoterh 12 months , had 300 games and a flag.

There are always sad songs to be sung by someone.

Holmes very unlucky. Was a lock best22 and was injured. Compare him to Duncan in 2011 and he was more of certain selection.

On the list above..their least unlucky is Tim Kelly. He was a dead cert lock best22 play and chose to move for family reasons. All good but not unlucky.

How about GAS

Think of all he did personally to get their and could not have the team around him on the day to get it done with 4 chances....

There are harder luck stories for sure.. but IMO GAS deserves one too

GO Catters

You benevolence towards GA is greater than mine...who know what happens if he had stayed. Gold Coast form was another level. Do we get over the top of the Hawks in 2013?

Earlier than the specified range... Riccadi is unlucky. In an era of 5 on the bench... he could have played anoterh 12 months , had 300 games and a flag.

There are always sad songs to be sung by someone.

Holmes very unlucky. Was a lock best22 and was injured. Compare him to Duncan in 2011 and he was more of certain selection.

On the list above..their least unlucky is Tim Kelly. He was a dead cert lock best22 play and chose to move for family reasons. All good but not unlucky.
With a 5th benched player in 2012 could we have allowed Milburn to play 8 more games or was he cooked?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back