Unofficial Preview Unofficial Pre Season Match v Suns Saturday 15th February @Metricon Stadium 7pm

Remove this Banner Ad

A few regular 22 that played in all 4 quarters.
Witherden, Rayner, Bailey, Adams and maybe O’Mac??
The best of them - Adams played a good game playing mostly as a spare in defence.
And Bailey who just popped up everywhere.
The best of the rest - when Hinge come on in the second half he tried his absolute guts out and was very hard at the contest and fought for everything, Answerth was pretty good for the second half also and Eagles did some nice things in defence when he come on (not sure about the Man Bun, I thought he looked like Wyllie Buzza).
The 2 Connors looked good up forward, leading and creating chances for themselves although C McFadyen couldn’t kick the side of a barn last night, C Ballenden kicked well for goal and in general play, in the conditions.
Tom Fullerton kicked a beautiful snap off his left after roving the pack.
The ball was a cake of soap and ball handling and skills in general were terrible for the whole game.

I thought Gold Coast’s set up at stoppages were better than ours and were winning a good part of the clearances as a result.

A few regular 22 that played in all 4 quarters.
Witherden, Rayner, Bailey, Adams and maybe O’Mac??
The best of them - Adams played a good game playing mostly as a spare in defence.
And Bailey who just popped up everywhere.
The best of the rest - when Hinge come on in the second half he tried his absolute guts out and was very hard at the contest and fought for everything, Answerth was pretty good for the second half also and Eagles did some nice things in defence when he come on (not sure about the Man Bun, I thought he looked like Wyllie Buzza).
The 2 Connors looked good up forward, leading and creating chances for themselves although C McFadyen couldn’t kick the side of a barn last night, C Ballenden kicked well for goal and in general play, in the conditions.
Tom Fullerton kicked a beautiful snap off his left after roving the pack.
The ball was a cake of soap and ball handling and skills in general were terrible for the whole game.

I thought Gold Coast’s set up at stoppages were better than ours and were winning a good part of the clearances as a result.
Curious what the crowd was like for the game?

A couple of other things. Talked to Archie he is a couple of weeks away. I said that Ely looked massive and he said he is primed and 93 kgs. Serious weapon.Our entry into the fifty was something I was hoping would be tweaked with.While conditions weren’t great we didn’t lower our eyes and just bombed it in. Matty Eagles came on in the second half and showed some aggression ,massive shepherd, big tackle and a couple of contested grabs.Tom Berry was good at the contest and worked hard playing across the four quarters.Ballenden was great in the forward line and offered a good option up the line clunking a few and rotated in the ruck getting beaten by Zac Smith in the tapouts. Any questions happy to answer
What you have to like about Noble is that if he sees an issue he tries to fix it. No hope of Lachie being bullied all over the ground with Ely and CEY coming in to the team.

What you have to like about Noble is that if he sees an issue he tries to fix it. No hope of Lachie being bullied all over the ground with Ely and CEY coming in to the team.
I personally didn’t see too much from CEY last night that showed he will fix any issues.

Last years practice match we let them kick the first 8 goals and lost comfortably.

Nothing to be concerned about

Probably 1000 at the start due to women.Lucky to be 4-500 at the end
From memory 5000 attended this game last year
However it was in the afternoon and free parking.
Costs wise from a Suns point of view it made sense to have it on the same day.

What they could/should have done to reduce costs.
Start game at 7.30 with free parking.
The crowd (7071) from womens match would have dispersed.
Anyone from Suns wanting to stay could still get back to cars via public transport and return.
I think it is a different crowd dynamic that want to watch the men's scratch match.
Dismiss majority of paid parking attendants after womens game.

From memory 5000 attended this game last year
However it was in the afternoon and free parking.
Costs wise from a Suns point of view it made sense to have it on the same day.

What they could/should have done to reduce costs.
Start game at 7.30 with free parking.
The crowd (7071) from womens match would have dispersed.
Anyone from Suns wanting to stay could still get back to cars via public transport and return.
I think it is a different crowd dynamic that want to watch the men's scratch match.
Dismiss majority of paid parking attendants after womens game.
I didn’t have to pay for parking?

Good coverage lads, thanks for the feedback.

Great to hear Ely Smith n Tom Berry having a real crack. Very glad Birchall and Ah Chee looked good. Payne and Starcevich continuing to impress. Sounds like Bailey is primed for a big season. Ballenden could earn a spot if he performs in future trials, has to be good for his confidence as well. Even better is hearing that Rayner is up and about. A cpl of trial matches to go, competition should be fierce.

Suns look to be developing a very exciting group of youngsters. Lucosious, king, answerth, rankine, brodie, rowel, anderson, sharp etc. I hope they can stick together, i look fwd to watching them.

No-one has mentioned any injuries and thats probably the best news of all.

I wouldn't worry too much about what he did or didn't do last night.

How did Birchall go ?

There was talk that he was miles behind.
Birchill played 1st half and was good in defence.Will add to our team.A group including him ran laps at halftime and he was miles behind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the good reports about Connor Ballenden's performance I wonder if he can put pressure on Dan McStay/Oscar McInerney for a spot in the senior side as the season progresses. Probably a better chance against the Big O than McStay IMO as I don't think Connor would put as much F50 pressure on as Dan.

Not sure the whole Lachie bullying thing worked for Port Adelaide

I wouldn't worry too much about what he did or didn't do last night.

How did Birchall go ?

There was talk that he was miles behind.
I am not worried because I dont see him as a definite lock for round one.

Birchall got caught with the ball a couple of time due to a lack of speed.
But used the ball quite well when he was able to get rid of it.

Not sure a random scratch match will show anything at all

If that's your take it's pretty strange to be hanging out in the thread dedicated to the random scratch match tbh.

If that's your take it's pretty strange to be hanging out in the thread dedicated to the random scratch match tbh.
I’m not sure that’s the case at all. Having an interest in what’s happening doesn’t mean it should be taken too seriously

And if it doesn’t show ‘anything‘ what are the Coaches looking for?
I’d probably back the coaches to know more than us and see the value he will add.

I mean it’s not like the club went out and signed him as a free agent.... oh wait

I’m not sure that’s the case at all. Having an interest in what’s happening doesn’t mean it should be taken too seriously

Fair enough. As long as people who are interested in the match aren't arguing for the sake of arguing it should be fine hey?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back