Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

That guys who are slightly better "at their best", when it's only happened 2-3 seasons in 10, matters at all....

and by extention, that turning up matters.

If a player keeps getting injured/suspended, he's not as good/valuable as an equivilent player who gets onto the ground every game.

I believe that the AFL competition should have relegation and promotion with the premiership fought out between only 12 clubs and the bottom six to be relgated to the 4 state comps with the highest placed from each comp to fight it out with the bootom 4 of the AFL premiership for promotion. whilst keeping the top 8 the same.

You could replace 'Australian Rules' with any sport in the world. Meaningless? What sport actually has some external meaning, other than a subjective one to the individual? This just smacks of an everything is pointless, wrist slashing hysteria.
Wake up!

No other serious sport in the world rigs their competition and meddles like the AFL does. There would be uproar if sporting franchises in America were deliberately given easy draws and handed such luxurious draft concessions. It just wouldn't happen over there where things are run professionally and all clubs are treated equally.

No other (serious) sport in the world is run as though it is the playtoy of it's executives, where rules are made up or changed on the spot without any consultation or due process adhered to. Where member clubs are bullied into toeing the party line.

The current AFL administration is out of control. Everyone knows it. The only reason why the clubs have tolerated it is because the AFL has negotiated 2 massive TV rights deals. In effect, this has allowed the games administration carte-blanche to do as they please.

The AFL reminds me of the dodgy boxing federations in the way they run things. They are just like the WBC, WBO, etc. They are run as dictatorships where maximising their revenue is the ONLY consideration, no matter badly it intrudes upon the competitive balance between competitors or how much it undermines their sport.

Most people I know are sick of the AFL and they are slowly losing interest in the game and where it's headed.

PS - you're probably what the connection is with my previous post. You'll understand what I mean when Fremantle finally makes it to the Grand Final in 2016 only to get beaten by GWS or Gold Coast. Then you'll understand why following the AFL is ultimately a waste of time.

You say that but its still better than 17 other teams. And when a 6 year old can come up with something better gimme a ring and ill sign them to a recording deal.

16 other teams

GWS has risen to number 1 with a bullet.

1. Too much focus is spent on maximising financial gain from the sport, rather than what is best for the sport overall. Having bigger TV rights than the ARL is simply not that important. The AFL should have two main focuses. Strengthening the game nationally, and ensuring the healt of its clubs. Finances should play second fiddle to both of those, even if that means reduced value of media deals
  2. My home state (Tasmania) can not come close to affording an AFL team, even if the focus on finance is reduced - it could not come near where Fitzroy ould be if they were still in the AFL.
  3. State of Origin should return, with real states and territories - not conglomerates such as Qld/NT, Allies or All-Stars.
  4. Travel, provided it is not back-to-back makes very little difference over the journey. The amou nt of home state advantage to away state disadvantage is more important than the fact that WA clubs travel ten times (they get the advantage ten times as well) or Collingwood travel only four or five (they tend to only host four or five non-Vic clubs).
  5. Sunday twilight should be scrapped, its a TV created timeslot that harms clubs. Sunday afternoon games in WA are fine, which basically equates to east coast twilight anyway - they just can't happen every week.
  6. Perth can, and should, sustain four AFL clubs.
  7. Port Adelaide should have been admitted first with the Crows to follow, and allowed to ne Magpies wearing the prison bars. Port put up their hand when the SANFL refused, and the Crows owe their very existence to Port's bravery.
  8. Clash jumpers are usually not required.
  9. Umpires should be wearing whaite as often as is practical.
  10. The change to "holding the ball" intepretation in the last five years or so has been good for the game. The little bit of extra time to dispose of the ball means we know longer reward a tackler for being second to the ball, but give the ball player a chance to use it.
  11. Two interchange, four subs.
  12. GWS will be more successul, in terms of financial stability, than Gold Coast after about 20 years or so.
  13. More support should be given to the struggling state leagues.
  14. All AFL matches should be on FTA in all markets, even if it means "live on Fox, delayed on FTA"
  15. The SANFL is far and away the next best competition in the land.
  16. Scrap the draft, allow equith through a properly policed salary cap with third party and media deals clamped down on
  17. The pre-season comp serves a purpose and should be retained, reverting to a knockout format with qualifiers and state rep teams from the VFL, SANFL and WAFL included.

State of Origin should return, with real states and territories - not conglomerates such as Qld/NT, Allies or All-Stars
Agree 100%

They wrecked the SOG by playing those mickey mouse games with the "Allies"

I have a simple formula -

One weekend each year. Match ups rotated as follows:

WA vs Vic
Tas vs SA
NSW vs Qld

SA vs Vic
Tas vs WA
Qld vs NSW

Vic vs WA
Tas vs SA
NSW vs Qld

Vic vs SA
Tas vs WA
Qld vs NSW

WA vs Vic
Tas vs SA
NSW vs Qld

SA vs Vic
Tas vs WA
Qld vs NSW

Forgive my Victorian arrogance, but I'm not sure whether it's necessary to play WA v SA games.
Vic v WA and Vic v SA were the only state games that people really cared about.

Tasmanians get to watch "their team" play once a year, venue alternated between Launceston and Hobart. (The Tassie state game was always the secondary state game played against the Victorian B-team)

NSW vs Qld rivalry established with an annual game. ACT players join forces with NSW. Northern Territory players join forces with Queensland. This would help to bolster the numbers, but wouldn't diminish the state concept too badly.

Don't worry about declaring a "national champion". Just award a separate trophy for each of the above rivalries.

WA vs Vic - Barry Cable Cup
SA vs Vic - Barrie Robran Cup
Tas vs WA/SA - Royce Hart Cup
NSW vs Qld - Jason Dunstall Cup

- I don't value the Lion's flags as highly as any other flag - 15% was a joke.
- I think you should have to have the ball at the time the umpire blows his whistle to be 'holding it'.
- I don't think the crows should be penalised too harshly.
- I would accept a shorter season to have state of origin back.
- I like the sub rule ( although oppose 2/2).
- I admit my team's song is crap.
- I think GC/GWS will dominate in a couple of years. Seems like everyone has decided that talent and salary cap advantages aren't enough. I think they are when they're this big.
- Gerard is better than Mike.

My origin proposal:

7 teams.

Three games played each year:
1 v 2
3 v 4
5 v 6

So if you lose 1 v 2, you become three the next year, and play 4 (5 from previous year). If you lose, 5 v 6, you don't play the following year. That way you have a reigning champ, and all states have a chance to be that champ.

Major drawback is one state misses out playing each year. Maybe they could play someone else? I dunno who...

This has got me thinking, if states were seeded currently, how would they look?

1. Vic
2. SA/WA
3. WA/SA
4. ?
5. ?
6. ?
7. ?

1. Too much focus is spent on maximising financial gain from the sport, rather than what is best for the sport overall. Having bigger TV rights than the ARL is simply not that important. The AFL should have two main focuses. Strengthening the game nationally, and ensuring the healt of its clubs. Finances should play second fiddle to both of those, even if that means reduced value of media deals

13. More support should be given to the struggling state leagues.

If you are suggesting financial support in point 13, then I cant see how point 1 ought to be lessened.

If you are suggesting financial support in point 13, then I cant see how point 1 ought to be lessened.
I don't say finances are not important, but that too much focus is placed on maximising AFL revenues and profits over and above the sport as a whole. Its quite possible to focus more attention on the struggling leagues, Vic and Tas in particular, without a massive increase in financial assistance.
AFL Vic and AFL Tas (the NEAFL already gets looked after ro an extent, and SA and WA are in far better shape through Adelaide, West Coast and Freo dividends - Port at the moment has its own issues). Half the money spent on AFL Gramd Final "entertainment" alone could make a difference. I'm not talking about diverting tens of millions of dollars here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• We focus too much on outdoing the NRL.
  • Umpires should wear white, goal umpires should wear lab coats.
  • Clubs complain excessively about interstate travel.
  • Too many matches are broadcast on Foxtel only.
  • Nick Riewoldt is underrated.
  • I love Stephen Milne as a player and really enjoy watching him in full flight.
  • Majak Daw was/is ridiculously overhyped for a player who has never played a senior game.
  • Too much attention is given to WAGs on Brownlow night.
  • Adelaide's clash jumper for 2013 looks absolutely terrible.

Everything should be under the one salary cap, including coaches, trainers and scouts.

State of Origin is a stupid idea that will weaken the AFL if the mistake is made of bringing it back.

Andrew Demetriou is doing a bloody good job.

I don't think so. Certainly not in WA. ;)

Maybe not in W.A and tbh Pavlich shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Brown in QLD. But in terms of the neutral states, I'm sure people would prefer Brown to Pavlich maybe that's my bias, but I don't even have them in the same category.

Jonathan Brown

Most Courageous Player too many times to count
AFLPA Best Captain's
Coleman
Premierships
Mark of the Year
Multiple All-Australian's
Victorian Captain - 2008
Club Best and Fairest's

Yeah.

Maybe not in W.A and tbh Pavlich shouldn't even be in the same sentence as Brown in QLD. But in terms of the neutral states, I'm sure people would prefer Brown to Pavlich maybe that's my bias, but I don't even have them in the same category.

Jonathan Brown

AFLPA Best Captain's
Coleman
Premierships
Mark of the Year
Victorian Captain - 2008
Club Best and Fairest's

Yeah.

Irrelevant awards in bold

Jonathan Brown

AFLPA Best Captain's
Coleman
Premierships
Mark of the Year
Victorian Captain - 2008
Club Best and Fairest's

Yeah.

I'd list Pav's achievements, but I'd throw up in my mouth a little talking him up.

I hope people agree with me, but I think you're underselling how highly Pavlich is regarded. Brown's stature certainly has waned due to his last few years being curtailed by injury.

Isn't it funny how many victorian supporters suggest there are too many victorian teams but aren't willing to move their own team? Why don't we just move essendon to Tassie?
Notice how I didn't mention many other Victorian teams... you know, like the ones who have, are and will continue to be financially stable.

I don't say finances are not important, but that too much focus is placed on maximising AFL revenues and profits over and above the sport as a whole. Its quite possible to focus more attention on the struggling leagues, Vic and Tas in particular, without a massive increase in financial assistance.
AFL Vic and AFL Tas (the NEAFL already gets looked after ro an extent, and SA and WA are in far better shape through Adelaide, West Coast and Freo dividends - Port at the moment has its own issues). Half the money spent on AFL Gramd Final "entertainment" alone could make a difference. I'm not talking about diverting tens of millions of dollars here.

Agreed largely with the rest of your post :thumbsu:

And I do believe they ought to spend more on grass roots footy clubs.

Irrelevant awards in bold

Hahahaha! How is a coleman an irrelevant award? Thats one of the greatest personal honours in the game?

And sure most courageous player and mark of the year are almost novelty awards but being recognised as Victoria's captain in 2008 is a pretty big deal for mine, that's basically saying your the leader of the best team in Australia.

Notice how I didn't mention many other Victorian teams... you know, like the ones who have, are and will continue to be financially stable.

Fair enough, but let's turn the tables, hypothetically if Essendon was financially unstable would you put your own team forward to become say the Cairns Bombers? Of course you wouldn't, so I don't understand why your suggesting it for other teams?

In no particular order:
  • There are too many teams in Melbourne and some of them should fold or move out of Melbourne
  • Clash Jumpers are a good thing (if done properly with just a minimum amount of colour, ie all white/red/yellow) and all clubs should be forced to wear them
  • The season should be shorter (play each team once and alternate the home and away). It will be better for the sport even if it screws the stadium and tv deals
  • The tv deal giving most of the games to fox is not good for the sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back