Unpopular AFL Opinions

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
I used to think the exact opposite but...
the season is 100% too long. No doubt. 17 games then finals, easy...done.
These last 5 rounds or so serve absolutely zero purpose except to facilitate the current media deal.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
I used to think the exact opposite but...
the season is 100% too long. No doubt. 17 games then finals, easy...done.
These last 5 rounds or so serve absolutely zero purpose except to facilitate the current media deal.

Then teams get an uneven number of Home and away games. Also, the next 5 weeks are going to be awesome. There’s about 5 teams that could conceivably make the top 4 or miss the top 8 altogether.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Then teams get an uneven number of Home and away games. Also, the next 5 weeks are going to be awesome. There’s about 5 teams that could conceivably make the top 4 or miss the top 8 altogether.
Been the same the past 4 or 5 weeks. Would have still been awesome for you, someone would have made 8th spot, and now we would have finals after 17 rounds.

ShockersBoy11

Senior List
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Arsenal, Scorchers
Fans take hatred of teams way too seriously. I understand getting into the game and having fun but if you get legitimately angry over footy then I think you need some help. It's just a sport. I don't hate West Coast, but when derbies come around I'll dial it up a little. As long as they don't win the flag I don't care how good they are tbh

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Fans take hatred of teams way too seriously. I understand getting into the game and having fun but if you get legitimately angry over footy then I think you need some help. It's just a sport. I don't hate West Coast, but when derbies come around I'll dial it up a little. As long as they don't win the flag I don't care how good they are tbh

I don't mind fans disliking teams so much, that's been happening since day 1. However, it's when they start concocting lies about them to prove a point on social media that annoys me. There must come a time in one's life where they simply need to admit the other team was better on the day.

ShockersBoy11

Senior List
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Arsenal, Scorchers
I don't mind fans disliking teams so much, that's been happening since day 1. However, it's when they start concocting lies about them to prove a point on social media that annoys me. There must come a time in one's life where they simply need to admit the other team was better on the day.
I agree completely. Some fans can't admit when their team just wasn't good enough

I believe that if Gold Coast match Richmond's RFA offer to Tom Lynch (assuming Richmond is Lynch's preferred home), that Richmond should give up on the offer rather than facilitating a trade.

We would have to give up far too much to even equal Pick #3 (the currently discussed compensation) that it wouldn't be worth it for the long-term of the club even if we got Lynch.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
You just have 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral. The run home will be good fun but I reckon it would have been just as fun if we only had 17 games. And it becomes a far fairer league as lopsided double ups don't happen.
That said the AFL loses out on short term money so I doubt it will ever happen.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
I believe that if Gold Coast match Richmond's RFA offer to Tom Lynch (assuming Richmond is Lynch's preferred home), that Richmond should give up on the offer rather than facilitating a trade.

We would have to give up far too much to even equal Pick #3 (the currently discussed compensation) that it wouldn't be worth it for the long-term of the club even if we got Lynch.

It's an interesting one. Whereas it's nice to pick up a top player, you really do wonder about the long term cost. The nature of free agency proves that top players from lower sides will gravitate towards top sides. We're stuck with that. But we see now where Sydney are beginning to show the effects of the Tippett and Buddy deals. Personally, I don't think Lynch is worth what people think he will be paid, but the market dictates that he is. Interesting point you raise and it makes for an interesting debate.

If the tigers dont win another premiership in next two years, i think tom lynch will go down like nathan buckley and not win a flag but the team he left will end up winning one while he is still an active player.
Didn’t realise Richmond signed him on a 250 year deal.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I think the requirement to bounce the ball every 15m should be scrapped. Umpires get it wrong all the time so just get rid of it. Who cares how far you run with the ball.

It's a skill that stops the game being completely bent over by fast players.

I guess you're in the right thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back