Unpopular AFL Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Falcon3518

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 13, 2022
AFL Club
Richmond
Unpopular opinion, players shouldn’t be fined thousands of dollars by the MRO for minor infringements. I know it’s done this way cause they earn a lot but I still don’t think that’s right. If I got fined 2-3k for a head high tackle I’d literally feel sick, you pay less for speeding and parking fines which are illegal. Most of these things are accidental and can’t be avoided in footy.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if unpopular but the AFL is not sport it’s contrived entertainment that has more in common with reality tv. Australian rules football that’s played most weekends throughout every part of Australia is sport.
That applies to every professional sport. Real sport is played by amateurs (preferably children).

When played as a money-making exercise it inevitably becomes a theatre experience.

janty

All Australian
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Connor Rozee has the potential to be a better player than Sam Walsh.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
The whining about gambling ads is hysterical and more annoying than the ads. The ads were out of control a few years back, constantly through the whole game but they have cut back hugely

I only see gambling mentioned now when Nathan Brown does his little schtick or if I leave halftime on while I cook dinner or something. If you are sitting there watching the half time ads and cant be bothered changing the channel you only have yourself to blame

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
The whining about gambling ads is hysterical and more annoying than the ads. The ads were out of control a few years back, constantly through the whole game but they have cut back hugely

I only see gambling mentioned now when Nathan Brown does his little schtick or if I leave halftime on while I cook dinner or something. If you are sitting there watching the half time ads and cant be bothered changing the channel you only have yourself to blame

At least half of the ads on fox footy are gambling ads.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

If this is your serious take you literally don’t watch football on tv

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe it’s worse on Fox. I don’t see that it’s too terrible on FTA but then again I ignore all ads on telly. Unless they are funny… but even then I pay little attention to what they are selling

I actually like, or liked, a punt.

The volume of gambling ads on Fox is utterly disgraceful.
My son is 12 and he walks around mimicking Dale Thomas’ spiel for the points bet app or whatever the f*** it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hamohawk1

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL illicit drugs policy is stupid but not for the commonly thought reason.

Recreational drugs are so commonplace within wider society, particularly within the < 35 age bracket, hence why you hear some commentators seem so miffed at it as things have definitely changed.

Society needs to accept that drugs are and will continue to be present and used. Go to any bar, club on a Friday/ Saturday night and the place will be swimming in the stuff.

Just seems a little silly a player could have 20 + beers and there would be little/ no issues yet an activity a lot of people now regularly partake in is considered blasphemy.

It's inconsequential to continue to think we can try surpress/ stop drugs within society. Focus needs to be moved to education and harm minimisation.

Get rid of the policy and let clubs deal with it similar to how they deal with players getting out of line out of 'club' rules i.e. Ginnivan drinking post Anzac Day.

Obviously the AFL's hands are tied as they can't go full rogue on these issues but the league/ society is kidding themselves if they think these issues won't keep popping up.

Sorry to be the one to tell you this but it appears you have lost your eyesight.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I actually like, or liked, a punt.

The volume of gambling ads on Fox is utterly disgraceful.
My son is 12 and he walks around mimicking Dale Thomas’ spiel for the points bet app or whatever the f*** it is.
I've never been a gambler but I listen to Brownies podcast. Most of the ads are gambling ads and it does make me think about having a punt. I think they have a huge impact on viewers.

p4p1

Club Legend
Apr 24, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure if unpopular or conspiratorial but the AFL don't want a team in Tassie.

They don't want a relocation or a 19th license and will just make the license conditions more and more onerous until it dies a slow death.
While I don't agree that the talent isn't there to justify a 19/20th team (I think there is plenty of guys in state leagues etc who just never get the chance due to maturing later etc) I'm not sure that the AFL sees teams in Tasmania or the NT as sustainable if for no other reason than what might be huge player retention issues. I'm not sure how many players would want to stay in those two places when an opportunity to leave presents itself.

Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if unpopular or conspiratorial but the AFL don't want a team in Tassie.

They don't want a relocation or a 19th license and will just make the license conditions more and more onerous until it dies a slow death.

The issue isn't the 19th license; the issue is that a 19th license requires a 20th license and that's where the problems lie.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I've never been a gambler but I listen to Brownies podcast. Most of the ads are gambling ads and it does make me think about having a punt. I think they have a huge impact on viewers.

Absolutely they do, the Matty Johns show is my favourite hour of tv every week and it finishes with Laurie Daley creating a multi with a value price and every week it makes me contemplate opening an account and having a go at it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back