Unpopular AFL Opinions

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Having record of 6-3 away from KP is hardly making the finals because of home ground advantage is it.

Own your ridiculous comment instead of trying to pretend like you didn’t make it.
Pretending what ?
Geelong haven't beaten anyone apart from Brisbane at KP. Hardly the greatest form going around. Think they will stick true to form and be found out come finals.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretending what ?
Geelong haven't beaten anyone apart from Brisbane at KP. Hardly the greatest form going around. Think they will stick true to form and be found out come finals.

Again, you claimed we would make finals because of our home ground advantage.

Playing everywhere but our home ground, we are 6-3.

So yeah, we are really banking on that home ground advantage to get us into the finals. It was a great point. Really well thought out.

Worm4

Premiership Player
May 14, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Again, you claimed we would make finals because of our home ground advantage.

Playing everywhere but our home ground, we are 6-3.

So yeah, we are really banking on that home ground advantage to get us into the finals. It was a great point. Really well thought out.
Well , it's on the unpopular opinions thread.
Do you think Geelongs form is any better than Carltons ?

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Still better than the current muppets.
Somewhat related and possibly the wrong thread but the amount of media BS has become simply laughable. While we are all now subjected to every game being promoted as a 'blockbuster' and you have Fantastic Fridays/Super Saturdays etc. etc. blah blah blah - but/but I just heard some promo during the half time break for a forthcoming AFL event where 'Award Winning Journalist' Daisy Pearce will be involved..!

Call me Mr. picky - but firstly what 'award/s' has she received and when did she undertake the tertiary qualifications and become a 'Journalist'..?
I don't mind Daisy but surely she'd even be embarrassed by such claims - while I'm happy to stand corrected on either...

Last edited:

matthew_s

Premiership Player
Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Somewhat related and possibly the wrong thread but the amount of media BS has become simply laughable. While we are all now subjected to every game being promoted as a 'blockbuster' and you have Fantastic Fridays/Super Saturdays etc. etc. blah blah blah - but/but I just heard some promo during the half time break for a forthcoming AFL event where 'Award Winning Journalist' Daisy Pearce will be involved..!

Call me Mr. picky - but firstly what 'award/s' has she received and when did she undertake the tertiary qualifications and become a 'Journalist'..?
I don't mind Daisy but surely she'd even be embarrassed by such claims - while I'm happy to stand corrected on either...

Daisy was a midwife prior to her current gigs wasn't she?

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Daisy was a midwife prior to her current gigs wasn't she?

Not sure, but I'm also wondering when does Luke Hodge suddenly also become an "Award winning Journalist'..?

I'm actually thinking of turning up to this function and presenting myself as an 'Award winning Rocket Scientist"...

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League

She won an award in 2021 from the Australian Football media association for opinion/analysis or something like that.

Also, journalism isn't like surgery, where you need certified recognised qualifications to get a post. Someone employes you as a journalist, your a journalist.

Now, I'm not sure I would include what Daisy does as journalism per se, but I suspect all aspects of football related media are included by the above mentioned association as football "journalism".

So, she is at least as entitled to the term football journalist as most of the other people engaged in footy media, who are all also eligible to win association awards, and to be called "award winning journalist". The person that finished second was Leigh Montagna for instance.

So, I hope this isn't a rant at "wokeism" and favouritism to woman in society. Because it's not that.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Not sure, but I'm also wondering when does Luke Hodge suddenly also become an "Award winning Journalist'..?

I'm actually thinking of turning up to this function and presenting myself as an 'Award winning Rocket Scientist"...
Every niche industry is like this. I think you will find most of the people in footy media have featured in awards at some point.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
She won an award in 2021 from the Australian Football media association for opinion/analysis or something like that.

Also, journalism isn't like surgery, where you need certified recognised qualifications to get a post. Someone employes you as a journalist, your a journalist.

Now, I'm not sure I would include what Daisy does as journalism per se, but I suspect all aspects of football related media are included by the above mentioned association as football "journalism".

So, she is at least as entitled to the term football journalist as most of the other people engaged in footy media, who are all also eligible to win association awards, and to be called "award winning journalist". The person that finished second was Leigh Montagna for instance.

So, I hope this isn't a rant at "wokeism" and favouritism to woman in society. Because it's not that.

A few valid points, but at the risk of protracting a debate - 'Journalism' is a profession and like other professions, be they white or blue collar there is a level of tertiary qualification or certification required. Ms. Pearce is employed by Foxtel and SEN as an AFL 'media commentator' and in no way shape or form is she a 'journalist' and to suggest or promote her as such is not merely an exaggeration of her media role/s, it's a complete lie..!

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
A few valid points, but at the risk of protracting a debate - 'Journalism' is a profession and like other professions, be they white or blue collar there is a level of tertiary qualification or certification required. Ms. Pearce is employed by Foxtel and SEN as an AFL 'media commentator' and in no way shape or form is she a 'journalist' and to suggest or promote her as such is not merely an exaggeration of her media role/s, it's a complete lie..!

As a journalist by trade that’s not strictly true.

I was employed part time before I finished school just by the local paper as a relief writer as I did work experience there and was good at it.

I went to uni, flunked because I was drunk off my arse for 4 straight years and ended up working at a recruitment agency writing resumès for people. I applied for a job that we were advertising as a journo for a country paper and got it. I worked that job for two years before we were purchased by Fairfax and I was shifted to a bigger regional daily and got the odd bit of work picked up by the SMH and other papers if the topic was deemed important enough. I did that for 10 years and I was bloody good at it. Now since then I went back to uni and completed a degree in which my industry experience counted for 90 per cent of my credits. So technically speaking I am a ‘qualified’ journalist but I was a proper, established, decent journalist before I got the bit of paper.

joeyavalanche

Premiership Player
May 30, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong receive a unique and distinct advantage that no other team gets by having their own stadium (which WA, SA and QLD teams have) without the travel burden and being able to play many ‘away’ games without getting on a plane like those interstate clubs do.

It’s a huge reason why they get the extra few wins a season to finish so high up on the ladder, a few wins less would have them either scratching for the 8 or just outside it.

Also explains the amount of times they are eliminated in straight sets.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
There are a lack of qualified journalists covering the afl. A lot of ex AFL talking head opinion writers and player commentators. Many just interested in promoting their own brand.

Guys like Barrett and Browne who admit to making stuff up and seeing what sticks shows how bottom of the. Steel this industry is when it comes to proper reporting of the sport.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Clearing up a few errors here in an otherwise good post:

(a) WCE played in a GF in 1991 and were formed in 1987 so they did not play in a GF within two years of foundation.

(b) Not all West Australian players came back to play for WCE Rioli didn't, Wilson didn't (until later on), Mitchell didn't, etc.

For those who don't know how WC actually started out...

See post #3.

Deathray

All Australian
Oct 7, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Supersonics
Kane Cornes has modelled his ‘controversial opinion’ based career on Skip Bayless.
In general the umpiring has been pretty good this year.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
For those who don't know how WC actually started out...

See post #3.
Of the 10 mentioned which ones weren’t s**t? All before my time

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong receive a unique and distinct advantage that no other team gets by having their own stadium (which WA, SA and QLD teams have) without the travel burden and being able to play many ‘away’ games without getting on a plane like those interstate clubs do.

It’s a huge reason why they get the extra few wins a season to finish so high up on the ladder, a few wins less would have them either scratching for the 8 or just outside it.

Geelong do have a unique and distinct home ground advantage, but it's not the reason for their recent finals record.

The 2007-11 Geelong team was (a) better than the 2012- version and (b) played just as many games at KP. The 2020 team barely played at KP and made the GF. The 2021 team played plenty of games at KP (some behind closed doors) then lost finals in Adelaide and Perth. The one time they played a final at KP they lost.

Take 2017 for example. Good enough to beat Richmond at the MCG in Rd 17, then easily beaten by them in the QF. You can't blame KP for that.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Of the 10 mentioned which ones weren’t s**t? All before my time

Geoff Miles - played 71 games which is decent
Shane Ellis - 10 games
Dean Laidley - decent for us but couldn't hold a spot in our early 90s sides and moved to North where he had a good career
Ross Glendinning - superstar WAFL/VFL player, played 2 seasons with us then retired
Peter Davidson - played 2 VFL games with us then 7 with Brisbane Bears a few years later
Phil Narkle - 18 games in 4 years
Andrew MacNish - 20 games with us, 3 with Geelong over 5 years
Laurie Keene - 36 games in 4 years
Dwayne Lamb - 151 games and played in the 1992 flag
Colin Waterson - 0 games

Of the 1992 premiership side only Paul Harding and Peter Wilson had any VFL experience prior to playing for WC.

Most of the star WA players of the day were 25-30 years old by the time WC came in. In the 1980s that's who we would've recruited if we were able to in order to be competitive straight away, but we ended up with a core of young players more similar to what you see now. Bit of an accident of history. Maurice Rioli, the Krakouers, Simon Beasley, Gary Buckenara etc. wouldn't have played in our 1990s sides anyway.

BigPond101

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That would be true if they played 11 homes game in Geelong, it seems negated by playing so many 'home' games like today against Richmond at the MCG.

Any of the WA, SA and QLD teams playing a home game against Richmond have a distinct advantage, meanwhile Geelong's home game is at Richmond's favourite ground where they play their best

Back