Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the unpopular thread...

In the three losses he's shooting 33%. Even over all 38% is terrible. Anyone can score a lot of points and have lots of assists if the ball is in their hands all the time. Just ask WestBrick
Who else is going to have the ball in their hands apart from CJ? Thats one problem the Blazers front office is going to have to address this off season

Playoff shooting stats for Lillard.

37.6% from the floor, 40.4 from 3

The killer being 43% from less than 5 feet. That needs to be at 55-60%, and tells you all you need to know about Portlands lack of floor spacing with the likes of Bogut able to double down when Lillard gets to the rack.

He's 2/3 from each corner, but rarely gets those as he's the focal point and thats normally a drive and kick shot, indeed all makes are assisted.

33% of his above the break 3's are assisted, which means he's taking off the dribble threes, and knocking them down at 39%, which is a pretty decent clip

Westbrook is similar in that he's 47.6% at the rim, yet his mid range jumper is going at 49% (whilst Lillard is 28%). Both are sub 25% in the paint, and West y has a 56/44 split in his assisted/unassisted 3 numbers.

In regular season play both were 42% from mid range. Westy was taking a lot more unassisted 3's and shooting them at sub 30%.

They are reasonably similar stats wise, with Lillard being the better 3 shooter in general season play by 7%, and taking almost double the number of 3's.

Bogut is such a force around the rim. He doesn't get quite the blocks that some others do, but he just changes shots, forces players to back out and reload - he knows angles and has great timing. There's a huge number of times opposition teams set up a screen, free up a lane, move into the paint - and run slap into Bogut. Usually followed by a big U-turn. It doesn't show on stats.

A lot of teams play a decoy centre to try and drag Bogut out - if that happens, GSW very often use Green to defend the centre and just let Bogut patrol the paint.

Who else is going to have the ball in their hands apart from CJ? Thats one problem the Blazers front office is going to have to address this off season

By no means was I suggesting that what Portland was doing, by letting him have most of the touches, was wrong. He deserved the right. He got them this far, so he deserved to be focal point. Doesn't change that he's been terrible.

Klay Thompson's back to back series against Houston and the Blazers has been as good as anything Steph has done in any back to back series.

27ppg @ 47.5% from the field (and 47.5% from 3s), while being the main defender on Harden and Lillard. Also with the added pressure of having to perform with the best player being injured. He helped keep Harden to 41% shooting (31% from 3s) and Lillard to 36% shooting (though he was good from 3s @ 43%).

He's also on pace to set a new record for 3s in the playoffs (though that may change with Steph back).

In my opinion he's shown he's the best two guard in the league.

Klay Thompson's back to back series against Houston and the Blazers has been as good as anything Steph has done in any back to back series.

27ppg @ 47.5% from the field (and 47.5% from 3s), while being the main defender on Harden and Lillard. Also with the added pressure of having to perform with the best player being injured. He helped keep Harden to 41% shooting (31% from 3s) and Lillard to 36% shooting (though he was good from 3s @ 43%).

He's also on pace to set a new record for 3s in the playoffs (though that may change with Steph back).

In my opinion he's shown he's the best two guard in the league.
Wonder how he'd go on Steph

Gregg Popovich is a great coach, but I'm beginning to feel like he has become a bit like Doc in the sense of blowing opportunities in playoff series. When things start to go wrong for the Spurs he can be pretty stubborn.

2008 vs the Lakers where Jackson outcoached him.
2011 when he got rolled by the 8th seed Grizzlies.
2013 Game 6 where he benched Duncan. Obviously just one bad decision really in that series, but it was huge in the grand scheme of things.
2015 where I feel he coached poorly
2016 where he easily had the worst coaching performance I've seen from him.

This isn't to say that he's a bad coach, but you never see him get the criticism other coaches do, which is fair enough I guess, but I feel as though we should be able to look at some of his failures. Particularly when so many coaches these days get fired so easily.

Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach, we've seen what he's brought to San Antonio, but you only have to take a look back at some of the stuff ups from the Spurs and think just how many titles they could've won if they did a few things differently.

Gregg Popovich is a great coach, but I'm beginning to feel like he has become a bit like Doc in the sense of blowing opportunities in playoff series. When things start to go wrong for the Spurs he can be pretty stubborn.

2008 vs the Lakers where Jackson outcoached him.
2011 when he got rolled by the 8th seed Grizzlies.
2013 Game 6 where he benched Duncan. Obviously just one bad decision really in that series, but it was huge in the grand scheme of things.
2015 where I feel he coached poorly
2016 where he easily had the worst coaching performance I've seen from him.

This isn't to say that he's a bad coach, but you never see him get the criticism other coaches do, which is fair enough I guess, but I feel as though we should be able to look at some of his failures. Particularly when so many coaches these days get fired so easily.

Again, I'm not saying he's a bad coach, we've seen what he's brought to San Antonio, but you only have to take a look back at some of the stuff ups from the Spurs and think just how many titles they could've won if they did a few things differently.
:drunk::drunk::drunk:

The guy has won 5 championships?!? Not sure how you can really be critical of him. He cant win it every year. If he wasnt coaching the Spurs, they probably win 0 chips.

:drunk::drunk::drunk:

The guy has won 5 championships?!? Not sure how you can really be critical of him. He cant win it every year. If he wasnt coaching the Spurs, they probably win 0 chips.
Sure he has. Never downplayed that. Just saying that some of the Spurs recent efforts have been pretty ordinary, and some coaching has cost them big time in certain series.

That's a ridiculous statement saying they would have no rings either. End of the day it has been proven time and time again the importance of players in the NBA compared to the importance of coaches. I give Pop a lot of credit for preventing the Spurs from going down the shitter after they started declining with the Duncan led roster around 2009, but the early titles have a heck of a lot to do with Duncan, Parker, Ginobili and Robinson.

Klay Thompson might already be the second best shooter of all time.

Probably the two guys most associated with second spot (behind Steph obviously) are Ray Allen and Reggie Miller.

Some comparisons.

Klay has never shot worse than 40% for 3s in any season of his career (5 of 5). Reggie only did it in 10 of his 18. Ray Allen only did it in 8 of his 17 seasons.

Klay has hit 200 or more 3 pointers in each of his last 4 seasons. Reggie did it once and Ray Allen did it in 5 seasons. Lining them all up Klay has 4 of the top 7 between them (Klay 4, Reggie 1 and Ray 2)

Obviously Ray and Reggie did it for a lot longer, but that doesn't mean Klay isn't a better shooter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What makes you think Klay will get more three's than Steph?

After 5 seasons he has 100 more 3 pointers than Steph had after 5 seasons (yes, Steph did have some injuries in his 1st 5 seasons). He doesn't seem to get himself injured much (only 8 games missed in last 4 seasons). He seems to have a game that will age well (even when he gets old he can play a Ray Allen role on a team until he's in his mid to late 30s), where as I don't think Steph's game will age as well.

After 5 seasons he has 100 more 3 pointers than Steph had after 5 seasons (yes, Steph did have some injuries in his 1st 5 seasons). He doesn't seem to get himself injured much (only 8 games missed in last 4 seasons). He seems to have a game that will age well (even when he gets old he can play a Ray Allen role on a team until he's in his mid to late 30s), where as I don't think Steph's game will age as well.
Steph could be too far in front by that stage though.

Steph could be too far in front by that stage though.

this is an unpopular opinion thread though. 99% of people would think Steph will finish number 1 and I can completely understand why they would think so. I just really like the trajectory of Thompson's career and think he will finish above Steph.

this is an unpopular opinion thread though. 99% of people would think Steph will finish number 1 and I can completely understand why they would think so. I just really like the trajectory of Thompson's career and think he will finish above Steph.
Fair enough, do you know the numbers now and how old each player is?

Steph - 1593
Klay - 1060

Steph has played two more seasons.

They both started in the NBA at the same age (21).
It's doable. You just wonder how wide Steph can make the gap before he retires and Klay starts to play catch up. What does Steph hit per season, didnt he hit 400 last season. Klay probably around 300??

The gap is at 530 now, say it widens each year by 50 to be nice to Klay. That makes the gap close to 750 in 5 years time. That would make Steph 33. Say he plays til he is 35, tack on another 100.

Makes it around 850. Klay is now 33. Steph retires. Klay is not gonna be the volume shooter he is now when he is 33. He's more the floor spreader in a contending team looking for shooting. So he is probably hitting closer to 200 threes a season.

So he would have to play at least 4 more seasons, maybe 5 to get him. He would have to play until he is 38/39.

It will be close. As you've said the only way he gets him is by longevity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back