Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Your on the money with the west being weak, but it still towers above what the East is dishing out.
Not really too sure about that anymore. There wouldn't be much of a gap between the Spurs/Clippers and the Celtics/Raptors anymore, and in the case of the Celtics/Raptors they're far more likely to be healthy come playoffs.

Outside of that I'd say the East is better now.

But Green was forced to do far too much at certain types in the playoffs, particularly in game seven when nobody else wanted to stand up and do something.

It isn't going to affect Green at all if he has less shots, he came into the league as a project player who could defend and had potential to be decent offensively. I'm sure he isn't going to be up in arms if Durant is now getting the ball more. He has contributed before without being a guy having a lot of touches. He'll still be a defensive anchor, and there will be plenty of chances for him to have the ball, particularly on the break.

Why does it matter if they suffer? They want to win titles, they're not there to worry about individual stats. It's been pretty obvious since Kerr came in that they're one of the more unselfish teams in the league. I don't get how you can argue there's going to be all these chemistry issues. Klay nor Green aren't the types to whinge about a lack of shots.

I'd take Lebron over all three, but there's now way that two man duo of Kyrie and LeBron compares to Curry and Durant, regardless of what happened in the finals. A healthy Curry and Durant is going to make this team near impossible to stop offensively.

Their offence stagnated badly at times during the playoffs with Curry, partly due to his health and partly due to the defence and fouls defenders were getting away with. The defence plays the Warriors like that now, Durant is putting 40 on you.

What happened last year doesn't always mean a lot in the favouritism stakes.
To each his own, I have coin on the Warriors going under 66 wins, time will tell.

First thing I think of is who will make the finals, in the west GSW are clear favourites but there are other real quality teams- Spurs are always a danger, OKC is a huge unknown, (perhaps no KD will enable Westbrook to be the big man and lift his side- they are still a well run organisation), and the Clippers still pose a risk. Minnesota could be massive this year also with their young stars. I still don't think KD going to the Warriors will improve them, he'll just end up stealing Klay's shots and they won't be beating last years W record. Lost some physicality in Bogut and Barnes which was a flaw that was exposed by LeBron and Tristan Thompson in playoffs and while I rate KD as top 3 player in league, he isn't very physical.

If you look at the east, some sides look to have improved in the off season, I see the Raptors and Pacers as good sides but no one will beat the Cav's in 7 games with a fit Kyrie and LeBron. They are the biggest lock to make the finals and their physicality would batter a smaller GSW over 7 games again in my opinion. I think the KD move was the Warriors saying to LeBron, " we can't beat you with the greatest regular season team ever" and in doing so puts all the pressure on a stacked GSW to win a title and gives James a mental edge. Not a James fanboy don't really like him but that's how I saw it.

Can't agree with much of what you have to say :p Worst part was GSW saying to LeBron "we can't beat you with the greatest regular season team ever". They had cap space and went with going for the best player available. If KD had of decided to go somewhere else, they would have been comfortable with going again next year with the same team. A lot of things happened last year for them not to win it last season. Credit to the Cavs for doing what they had to do. They were great and LeBron was godlike, but the Warriors were within a minute of winning the Championship and they played horrible in the Finals for many reasons.

To each his own, I have coin on the Warriors going under 66 wins, time will tell.

Wins in the regular season don't mean much (last year showed that). Warriors had a great run with injuries last years (until the playoffs) which made 73 wins possible.

fwiw 66 is probably 5-10 more than the Cavs will win. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's more important LeBron is healthy come playoff time.

Wins in the regular season don't mean much (last year showed that). Warriors had a great run with injuries last years (until the playoffs) which made 73 wins possible.

fwiw 66 is probably 5-10 more than the Cavs will win. Not that there is anything wrong with that. It's more important LeBron is healthy come playoff time.
I don't support the cav's and yeah, there's no way they win more than 60 games. So you'll lock in GSW for a better W-L than last year? Like I said it's an unpopular opinion but I have a reason for it, like I said with the other bloke time will tell.

I don't support the cav's and yeah, there's no way they win more than 60 games. So you'll lock in GSW for a better W-L than last year? Like I said it's an unpopular opinion but I have a reason for it, like I said with the other bloke time will tell.

Not really. Time won't tell if the Cavs should be favorites or not right now. The Cavs might win it all, but that doesn't mean they should have been favorites.

Not really. Time won't tell if the Cavs should be favorites or not right now. The Cavs might win it all, but that doesn't mean they should have been favorites.
I said that Cav's should be favourites, that's the unpopular opinion, not that they ARE. Time will tell if I was correct in thinking they SHOULD have been. If they win, they should have been lol what are you on about?

I said that Cav's should be favourites, that's the unpopular opinion, not that they ARE. Time will tell if I was correct in thinking they SHOULD have been. If they win, they should have been lol what are you on about?

wat? you're being results orientated.

Just because the Cav won the Championship last year doesn't mean they should have been favorites entering the playoffs. Warriors were and should have been. They had just put together the GOAT regular season. Cavs won it despite the fact the Warriors were (deservedly) favorites.

wat? you're being results orientated.

Just because the Cav won the Championship last year doesn't mean they should have been favorites entering the playoffs. Warriors were and should have been. They had just put together the GOAT regular season. Cavs won it despite the fact the Warriors were (deservedly) favorites.
Mate I'm not talking about last year obviously the Warriors were going in as favourites with that season. I'm talking about this year the Cav's are paying similar odds to the Warriors to advance to the finals, so all we're talking about is who you'd back in a 7 game series between the two, I would think LeBron with a healthy Kyrie and Love would continue how they ended last year.

How much more efficient do you think the Warriors can get? They were the most prolific team ever last year, I don't think you can improve them adding KD because statistically their team was already perfect, but they don't match up well on the cav's. Are they a better team than the Cav's? Yes. Are they more efficient with KD, probably if that's even possible. Do they still match up well on LeBron? No... Unless Iguodala summons some 2015 finals D on LeBron Cleveland are going B2B.

We can go all day most of the general public agrees with you that's why I've put this topic in this thread, I just don't buy that the season is Won by the Warriors already and have a theory as to why. Everyone laughed when I said Sydney had no chance against Hawks in 14 aswell people always just look at the team and not the match up.

I'd say they match up just fine. The Cavs previously comprehensively dominated the small forward match up which is what caused the most issues for the Warriors.

Despite what happened in the finals, Curry is still far superior to Kyrie.

Adding Durant is huge. Forces LeBron to guard him now, no more switching onto Curry or running around free on defence unless he wants to get burned by Durant.

They almost won the title with Iguodala's back being shot. Durant is by no means a poor defender either, and certainly will make it far less easy for LeBron to do as he pleases in the finals.

The Sydney Hawthorn comparison doesn't make much sense either. Footy is far more team orientated. Two players in the NBA are enough to get you deep in the playoffs.

Mate I'm not talking about last year obviously the Warriors were going in as favourites with that season. I'm talking about this year the Cav's are paying similar odds to the Warriors to advance to the finals, so all we're talking about is who you'd back in a 7 game series between the two, I would think LeBron with a healthy Kyrie and Love would continue how they ended last year.

How much more efficient do you think the Warriors can get? They were the most prolific team ever last year, I don't think you can improve them adding KD because statistically their team was already perfect, but they don't match up well on the cav's. Are they a better team than the Cav's? Yes. Are they more efficient with KD, probably if that's even possible. Do they still match up well on LeBron? No... Unless Iguodala summons some 2015 finals D on LeBron Cleveland are going B2B.

We can go all day most of the general public agrees with you that's why I've put this topic in this thread, I just don't buy that the season is Won by the Warriors already and have a theory as to why. Everyone laughed when I said Sydney had no chance against Hawks in 14 aswell people always just look at the team and not the match up.

Yeah, the point of my last retort was that you said the result would dictated who should have been favorite now. That's just not how it works.

I don't think that the Warriors have already won it. They are probably a 60% chance to win it. Cavs are probably 20-25% and the field is the rest.

Giannis will be a more complete and better player then Durant.
Oh My... I want to sticky this.

2.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What're peoples opinions on the idea that Westbrook is more just a freak of nature athlete than he is a seriously skilled baller? I think several lesser players are more skilled than him without anywhere near the athleticism.

He's obviously still skilled.

What're peoples opinions on the idea that Westbrook is more just a freak of nature athlete than he is a seriously skilled baller? I think several lesser players are more skilled than him without anywhere near the athleticism.

The most explosive athlete I've ever seen. Still got some very good skills tho

Well I'd say thats not unpopular.
But his athleticism is what separates him from the other guards.

Imagine steph curry with that athleticism...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back