Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Magic and MJ also had broken jumpsuits
Someone please photoshop that.
---

As for Simmons, i think his jumpshot gets an unfair amount of attention.
Yes he will need to add that to his game over the next few years to become amongst the top 5-10 players in the game (or better) but as a first year player pretty much everything else he does is elite.
And hey - everyone calls Mitchell a much bettet scorer (which he is- in one facet) but Simmons still has a higher true shooting %. Even without that jumpshot, hes still getting to the rim plenty, either scoring at a high % or kicking it out for 8 assists a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Someone please photoshop that.
---

As for Simmons, i think his jumpshot gets an unfair amount of attention.
Yes he will need to add that to his game over the next few years to become amongst the top 5-10 players in the game (or better) but as a first year player pretty much everything else he does is elite.
And hey - everyone calls Mitchell a much bettet scorer (which he is- in one facet) but Simmons still has a higher true shooting %. Even without that jumpshot, hes still getting to the rim plenty, either scoring at a high % or kicking it out for 8 assists a game.
Exactly!

Read above ZG1^
Zgope1

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
Wtf is wrong with you blackcat I have no doubt he’ll be an amazing player and can be a top 5-10 player without the jumper.

He is just not a good chance to develop the jumper. As good a chance as Shaq was- which according to you is a sure thing
#brokenjumper
If this was LBJ u woulda soiled yourself Zgope1

blackcat

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Richmond
folks can we name players that had a knock on them that they could NOT shoot a J or have range

Brett Maher(knock on him coming out of AIS was he could NOT shoot, did he retire as leading NBL three-point-shooter?)
David Andersen admitted on SEN breakfast that he could not shoot coming out of Frankston
Frank Drmic
Sam Mckinnon

Jason Kidd
Draymond Green
Dwyane Wade
Clyde Drexler
Magic Johnson
Lebron
#cantbowlcantthrow

someone should school Zgope1

paradoxically, #Moreyball and metrics and spacing a 27foot arc, (assuming you step/jump or hop into your stroke at the 3 point line)... paradoxically, it has made the game easy for Lebron/KD3/BS, even if the tall player never had the three ball... A tall inside player, who handles the ball and can play outside->in has an easier time of it, effectively playing audition for Tokyo2020 3on3, or playing one on one in Rucker Park Brooklyn

edit: + jason kidd

jumpshot was fine for Keilor or Knox. Just when the stakes got high, and he was moved to the 4 or 5 at Monteverde and LSU, his job was not to shoot from the perimeter and he was not encouraged to, because no-one forsaw him being a generational nba player from the one-spot.

Last edited:

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
No idea where to put this.

An unpopular/unlikely/dream/nightmare scenario:

The Spurs lose just enough games to miss the playoffs and hit the lottery.
They do the right thing by the League and send Kawhi to one of the fabled franchises (Lakers, Knicks, Celtics)
Silver rewards them with the Ewing-Frozen-Envelope Treatment and they get a top 3 draft pick to go with whatever pieces/picks they get from that trade.
We can pull off some sort of injury/retirement deal to get Pau's contract off the books (or just have enough guys on rookie contracts that it doesn't matter).
And we suddenly have a super-quick rebuild of talented youngsters around LMA and at least continue the .500 streak.

:(:(:(
what has the world come to?

I don't know if I can live in a world where the spurs are mortal and fallible!

NorthernLights

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Celtics Saints LSU Chelsea RedSox
No idea where to put this.

An unpopular/unlikely/dream/nightmare scenario:

The Spurs lose just enough games to miss the playoffs and hit the lottery.
They do the right thing by the League and send Kawhi to one of the fabled franchises (Lakers, Knicks, Celtics)
Silver rewards them with the Ewing-Frozen-Envelope Treatment and they get a top 3 draft pick to go with whatever pieces/picks they get from that trade.
We can pull off some sort of injury/retirement deal to get Pau's contract off the books (or just have enough guys on rookie contracts that it doesn't matter).
And we suddenly have a super-quick rebuild of talented youngsters around LMA and at least continue the .500 streak.

:(:(:(
what has the world come to?

I don't know if I can live in a world where the spurs are mortal and fallible!
The Knicks a fabled franchise? Lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fidstar

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
OKC executives (rightly) get a lot of shit for letting Harden go over $5M or so.

But Harden doesn't get any shit for not sacrificing $5M to stay on a team that would probably have 2 or 3 championships had he stayed.

I think most NBA players would give up $5M over a career to have an extra 2 or 3 championships.

Guys like Durant/LeBron/Wade etc have been there and done it, and I'd be surprised if they didn't say they made the right decision.

stewie griffen

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls
OKC executives (rightly) get a lot of shit for letting Harden go over $5M or so.

But Harden doesn't get any shit for not sacrificing $5M to stay on a team that would probably have 2 or 3 championships had he stayed.

I think most NBA players would give up $5M over a career to have an extra 2 or 3 championships.

Guys like Durant/LeBron/Wade etc have been there and done it, and I'd be surprised if they didn't say they made the right decision.
Durant gives up 5 million from 35. It's fine

But he got paaaasaid for several years in there. Plus he's still getting 30 so who cares... and endorsements

Harden was coming off a rookie deal and was given the keys to a team after coming off the bench and being 3rd or 4th banana. He's now a max level mvp with massive endorsements. I'd say that's worth a helluva lot more to him monetarily than 5 million per.

Plus, the owners are shall we say extremely well off, and the value of a title winning franchise goes up rather quickly. Just look at what the dubs are worth these days. You can't spend that money sure, but yeah you ain't losing money on a franchise in the association regardless of paying a few million in luxury tax.

fidstar

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
Durant gives up 5 million from 35. It's fine

But he got paaaasaid for several years in there. Plus he's still getting 30 so who cares... and endorsements

Harden was coming off a rookie deal and was given the keys to a team after coming off the bench and being 3rd or 4th banana. He's now a max level mvp with massive endorsements. I'd say that's worth a helluva lot more to him monetarily than 5 million per.

Plus, the owners are shall we say extremely well off, and the value of a title winning franchise goes up rather quickly. Just look at what the dubs are worth these days. You can't spend that money sure, but yeah you ain't losing money on a franchise in the association regardless of paying a few million in luxury tax.
I am 100% behind the owners getting shit fwiw.

But Harden gets nothing about it.

He signed a contract for $80M over 5 years ($16M a season), instead of the $55M over 4 years ($14M a season). So, he signed somewhere else for (effectively) $6M for 4 years (or $1.5M a season). And obviously security of having the extra year.

Durant gave up $5M+ in a season. And taking risks on not signing a long term contract. Same goes for LeBron and co.

And from all reports, the reason he left was purely the money (https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ey-was-deciding-factor-in-leaving-okc-thunder).

I'm not saying Harden should have just signed for OKC. It's his life, he can do what he wants. But every other contract signing gets so much scrutiny (from both the players side and ownership side), it's weird that Harden doesn't cop it for signing somewhere else for less than 10% more and breaking up the best young squad in the league at the time.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
I certainly think coming off the rookie deal is relevant in this instance. OKC's offer was disrespectful. Giving up money on your second contract is a lot different to giving up money when you are much older and earning a lot more.

fidstar

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
West Coast
With the knowledge of what's happened since, it obviously looks terrible for the ownership.

But offering a 6th man (who came off an abortion of a Finals) close to max is pretty rare thing. No one expected what Harden actually became.

I mean Harden's first 3 years 13/3/3 shooting 44/37
Wiggens first 3 years 20/4/2 shooting 45/33

Jak!x

Club Legend
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors
The longer Harden stayed as a sixth man the more likely he’d have been pigeon holed as one ala Lou Will, Ben Gordon, ect.

If you wanna be a Star in the league you’ve gotta be prepared to take those opportunities.

DangerSloane

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
The longer Harden stayed as a sixth man the more likely he’d have been pigeon holed as one ala Lou Will, Ben Gordon, ect.

If you wanna be a Star in the league you’ve gotta be prepared to take those opportunities.
Nah.
No way was Harden ever going to be a 6th man his whole career.

There is a gulf in skillsets between Harden and Williams/Gordon.

calyam

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Essendon
With the knowledge of what's happened since, it obviously looks terrible for the ownership.

But offering a 6th man (who came off an abortion of a Finals) close to max is pretty rare thing. No one expected what Harden actually became.

I mean Harden's first 3 years 13/3/3 shooting 44/37
Wiggens first 3 years 20/4/2 shooting 45/33
I think you need to review Harden's third season. Despite his poor performance in the finals, he had an outstanding season and was clearly better than a sixth man type.

His advanced numbers were excellent in 2011-12 and even then you could argue he was better than Westbrook. He deserved the max.

jdz101

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics
Fans of smaller franchises with shit, greedy ownership might need to get comfortable with the possibility of following the Sonics in a couple of years time.

That group didnt spend the extra hundreds of millions on making the arena multi purpose for nothing and they've already locked away an NHL team.

Top Bottom