Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

My unpopular opinion:

Celtics should trade Brown+Rozier+1st round pick for Anthony Davis.

Hell I would even drive the bundle down to New Orleans myself if it gets the deal done.

Can't be done this year due to the Rose rule unless Irving is traded.

A deal for Davis can be done next year by the Celtics. But it will take a lot more than Brown, Rozier and a first.

Interested in giving up Tatum, Brown and x4 first rounders unprotected?

NOP don't want a deal done this year. Though if they did, Raptors can pretty easily step up to the plate this year with an offer of Ibaka, Siakam, Anunoby and x4 unprotected first rounders for AD.

Reminder that IMDABES

Fair call - Giannis has definitely jumped up and cemented himself in the conversation at the top of the game.

Still though - it's very tough to compare his role with the Bucks to the role that KD plays for the Warriors (admittedly, KD's choice). If you put KD on the Bucks, I reckon he could do just as good a job - if not better from an offensive perspective. Put Giannis in KD's role with the Warriors - I'm not sure you would get the same outcome.

But Giannis has now made it a conversation worth having.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KD at 24 had already had 4 seasons of 27.7ppg (what Giannis averages) or more, including 30.1ppg at 21 and a finals appearance at 23.

Not to mention he averaged 30.6ppg that finals series on 55/39/84 and 28.5ppg on 52/37/86 for the Playoffs run.

His 2014 MVP was one of the greatest offensive outputs oat and he also has a 50/40/90 season to his name.

He was even one of the frontrunners for the 2018 DPOY if you want to bring up defense.

Giannis probs gonna pocket his first of many MVPs this season.

I would agree with First (at least, I think he deserves it over Harden, but it could legitimately go to either guy)
Way too presumptious to suggest he will get "many". Anything can happen, and there are far to many top players in the NBA who could be in the MVP running any given year to predict what will happen from here on out (plus a few guys who could easily join that conversation in the next few years). Also, don't rule out the chances of Lebron bouncing back next year, or KD leaving GSW to become a ball-dominant player elsewhere (I reckon LAC or Brooklyn would be good fits) and just having a monster few years numbers-wise.

Remember, Duncan only got 2, and all of Shaq, Dirk, KG and Kobe ended with 1 MVP each. Lebron also hasn't got one in the last 5 years, despite being the undisputed best player in the NBA over that time (this is the first season he isn't on that mantle).
Giannis has a long way to go to match the career of any one of those guys.

Fair call - Giannis has definitely jumped up and cemented himself in the conversation at the top of the game.

Still though - it's very tough to compare his role with the Bucks to the role that KD plays for the Warriors (admittedly, KD's choice). If you put KD on the Bucks, I reckon he could do just as good a job - if not better from an offensive perspective. Put Giannis in KD's role with the Warriors - I'm not sure you would get the same outcome.

But Giannis has now made it a conversation worth having.
Durant isn't close to Giannis defensively. He's not the playmaker Giannis is either. Dude peaked 5 years ago he's just getting that winning rep boast.

Durant gave up on the challenge of being best player on a championship team and settled on riding Curry's coattails. Giannis is still chasing that goal, we'll see how that pans out soon. But really, Giannis playing 2 man game with Curry lol. >>>>

Durant isn't close to Giannis defensively. He's not the playmaker Giannis is either. Dude peaked 5 years ago he's just getting that winning rep boast.

Durant gave up on the challenge of being best player on a championship team and settled on riding Curry's coattails. Giannis is still chasing that goal, we'll see how that pans out soon. But really, Giannis playing 2 man game with Curry lol. >>>>

The * did I just read?

I would agree with First (at least, I think he deserves it over Harden, but it could legitimately go to either guy)
Way too presumptious to suggest he will get "many". Anything can happen, and there are far to many top players in the NBA who could be in the MVP running any given year to predict what will happen from here on out (plus a few guys who could easily join that conversation in the next few years). Also, don't rule out the chances of Lebron bouncing back next year, or KD leaving GSW to become a ball-dominant player elsewhere (I reckon LAC or Brooklyn would be good fits) and just having a monster few years numbers-wise.

Remember, Duncan only got 2, and all of Shaq, Dirk, KG and Kobe ended with 1 MVP each. Lebron also hasn't got one in the last 5 years, despite being the undisputed best player in the NBA over that time (this is the first season he isn't on that mantle).
Giannis has a long way to go to match the career of any one of those guys.
I'll eat my hat if Giannis doesn't end his career with multiple MVPs.

LeBron is no chance to win the MVP anymore.

This could be unpopular.

I dread what the NBA and other professional leagues might become if juniors model their games after Steph Curry. Curry is obviously a remarkable talent - a once-in-a-generation type talent - but his game is built around hitting what for any other player are low percentage shots. Kids will spend their junior careers trying to replicate his moves - in the same way that my generation tried to be like Mike - and that will feed into the professional game.

On the upside, it might usher in an era of Curry clones who have the capacity to hit contested shots at will and seem to possess unlimited range. On the downside, it could usher in an era of players with more shot selection. As someone who thinks that Steph's game will be difficult or impossible to replicate I fear we will end up with the later.

Interestingly look at what the league has become/evolved into now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back