Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder how this one will go down.

Thought Jones was better for us this year, certainly more than he was last year. In fact, if he played a similar game to the one he played against Melbourne (tackling pressure, winning HTB decisions and popping up with a goal or two) I'd readily have him in the side, especially with the current state of our forward line. Very quick for a guy of his height and when he tackles the opposition you can see it hurts them. Certainly no world beater, but sit him down with the tape of the Melbourne game and say "Do that every week" and he could be a handy role player, at least while our younger players develop.

Thought Jones was better for us this year, certainly more than he was last year. In fact, if he played a similar game to the one he played against Melbourne (tackling pressure, winning HTB decisions and popping up with a goal or two) I'd readily have him in the side, especially with the current state of our forward line. Very quick for a guy of his height and when he tackles the opposition you can see it hurts them. Certainly no world beater, but sit him down with the tape of the Melbourne game and say "Do that every week" and he could be a handy role player, at least while our younger players develop.
Yeah id keep jones over Casboult, levi cant kick to save himself best we trade him asap

Jones should have played all year, was dropped averaging around two goals a game from a winning side that quickly became a losing side. Was playing well in the VFL without tearing it apart, but his effort was much more consistent and improved which was clear from the preseason. I think our selection committee and coaches really got this wrong not playing him. If he produces the same next season he should play a lot of games and possibly earn another contract which is hard to believe considering his first season. His ability to lead up and hit the contest with momentum and take a few marks and apply pressure at ground level impressed me and honestly I think he gave more than Casboult who is useless when the ball spills to ground and doesn't lead well. Jones' disposal, more so decision making at times can be ordinary but so is Casboults, who played every game.

Yeah, nah....I don't think so.

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I'll post here anyway.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I am seriously impressed with how Collingwood has finished the back half of the season. Bucks today was quoted as saying that the club has bottomed out, and is now heading back up. I'm inclined to agree. They have produced some great performances since the bye. It must give their supporters a lot of positive energy going into the summer and preseason.

Contrasting their season to ours, I am a bit more than just lightly concerned as we head into summer. The back half of our season was shocking, and ended on a very sour note. I know we are in rebuilding mode, but at this point in time I am struggling to see enough positives to feel good about our upcoming preseason. We have way too many players who are dead wood, not enough depth in our midfield, a non existent forward line, and whilst we do have some shining lights, I don't see them providing enough of a base to build on.

It makes me think that we will be an average football club for many more seasons to come. I can't see us playing finals before 2020, possibly 2025.
Going to the draft every year and doing little more is a 10 year rebuild not 5 like most here think, i likes bucks aggressive list turnover approach they look like a great young side

Yeah id keep jones over Casboult, levi cant kick to save himself best we trade him asap
Depending on who we axe/trade and who we draft this year, If Jones is still here I suspect that he'll be in direct competition with Levi if Harry McKay comes good early (which I think he will).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marc Murphy gets a bum wrap from some (only a minority, but an annoyingly vocal minority) Blues fans.

He is a much better player and captain than many people give him credit for, and i reckon that Simmo aside, his deputies, especially he who shall not be named (or traded) simply do not do or show enough leadership or pick up the slack when MM is injured.

Furthermore, i passionately believe Murph is the best man to be our Captain next season, and i think he deserves a bit more appreciation from the supporter base, his busted his knackers for our footy club for years. You can never question his heart or courage, and in my book, those two qualities make up a sizable chunk of what leadership is.

#StandByMurph #OhCaptainMyCaptain

Going to the draft every year and doing little more is a 10 year rebuild not 5 like most here think, i likes bucks aggressive list turnover approach they look like a great young side

Totally agree. Blues won't improve if we just turn up and draft, hoping to out-draft everyone for 3-4-5 years straight to bring the talent back to Princes Park. Need to blow things up and create a glut of younger talent to work with and come through together.

Possible unpopular opinion: any further one-for-many trades we do that are described as "depth-building" are really just negotiations we've lost.

Depending on who we axe/trade and who we draft this year, If Jones is still here I suspect that he'll be in direct competition with Levi if Harry McKay comes good early (which I think he will).

I would think that Jones would be more a direct competition with Jack Silvagni for the 2nd tall position with Harry & Levi battling for the main big man position. If Liam Jones plays more than 5 games it means that something seriously bad has happened.

Liam Jones brings a unique combination of lack of marking power with poor conversion, lack of ball-winning ability and disappointing ground-level pressure. He is the worst player in the AFL. The ONLY reason he suits up for the Blues is if Levi is out injured, and even then his instructions are to run around crashing packs and trying to get suspended so he's at least contributing SOMETHING on-field and so we're not tempted to play him again.

Despite playing mostly in the VFL, Liam Jones still took marks and was one of our better goal kickers on average. Beggars can't be choosers and we haven't got much. Wouldn't be surprised if Jones plays games next season though we might be gifting games to the young ones ahead of him. Kreuzer, Phillips, Casboult and Jaksch haven't proven to be any better than Jones so it's likely that we'll see him at senior level. McKay and Curnow are likely to play games too though.

taking his ridiculous salary out of it. Daisy's acquisition has been a positive one as he brings much needed on and off field leadership to our list. Especially post-Judd.

taking his ridiculous salary out of it. Daisy's acquisition has been a positive one as he brings much needed on and off field leadership to our list. Especially post-Judd.

Still not in the sense that his arrival was part of Betts' departure. The opportunity cost was huge. Got to include that with his ludicrous salary. Daisy would have been seen as a success if we'd picked him up as a de-listed free-agent as a veteran leader.

Rubbish

Some of it hasn't been his fault though.

That season ending shoulder injury, 10 seconds into the season, was no one's fault and yet somehow summed up his tenure with us perfectly.

Yep - nothing personal against Thomas - except his signing and terms and injury and now general uselesness - oin toip of all teh Club's issues - just grinds.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back