Unpopular Carlton Opinions

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
We got a surplus of talls on list now. If quite a few prove to be good players get ready for one or two traded in next two years. Would not get too attached to someone like Macreadie. If he comes good, Marchbank, Weitering, Ben Silvagni , Macreadie and Hugh Goddard cannot all play in the same side. Someone has to go in time.

Similarly up forward if McKay, Curnow, Jack Silvagni and Kerr all good, DeKoning plus Mitch McGovern becomes a good swing man, someone gets traded. Finbar is not short either and still got Jones and Casboult on the list. We will be trading key position players in a year or two. Get ready for someone you get attached to , to be traded in areas we find we need more depth when 2020's hit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LemmingMaster

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
2017 we won 6 games. We are in a much better spot list wise than 2017. 10 wins is unlikely but not a pipe dream.

Cant highlight enough that 2018 was injury and setback Armageddon. Everything went wrong.

Bit of luck this year and the wins could come. SOS and Carlton have even bet this is the case with the Stocker trade.

Get excited.
So what you're saying is we forget about 2018 and use 2017 as the baseline.

We almost double our wins from that year as well?

It is a massive pipe dream, it could happen, but the odds would be around 60 to 1.

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
We got a surplus of talls on list now. If quite a few prove to be good players get ready for one or two traded in next two years. Would not get too attached to someone like Macreadie. If he comes good, Marchbank, Weitering, Ben Silvagni , Macreadie and Hugh Goddard cannot all play in the same side. Someone has to go in time.

Similarly up forward if McKay, Curnow, Jack Silvagni and Kerr all good, DeKoning plus Mitch McGovern becomes a good swing man, someone gets traded. Finbar is not short either and still got Jones and Casboult on the list. We will be trading key position players in a year or two. Get ready for someone you get attached to , to be traded in areas we find we need more depth when 2020's hit.
probably a fair call - depth is one thing - good players will get cherry-picked if they're not getting games.........

footyfan78

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
As a follow up, Imagine Jack Silvagni traded in two years time. Jo would divorce SOS if so...lol
Serg and Rita would disown their own son.
Is SOS this ruthless?

agro

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
We got a surplus of talls on list now. If quite a few prove to be good players get ready for one or two traded in next two years. Would not get too attached to someone like Macreadie. If he comes good, Marchbank, Weitering, Ben Silvagni , Macreadie and Hugh Goddard cannot all play in the same side. Someone has to go in time..

Goodbye Hugh we hardly knew you.

Smalls0304

All Australian
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
interesting observation. he had 15 possessions 7 tackles and two goals in his last game as a small forward in a game in which we got flogged. And clearly he has no capacity to improve.
His average stats of 7.5 touches 3 tackles and 0.2 goals a game I just don't think is enough and believe we have far better options available that will improve along side him. Guess that's why its a unpopular opinion?

Shambolic

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Judge him when our forward entries are effective and we can start to lock it in. Our kicking to advantage was poor and needs to improve. Doubt any small forward would have done much last year.

Don’t get me wrong, am not a fan and haven’t seen anything at all level although his pre draft highlights were good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alphonse_

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Wallsy's stoic, get on with it, don't feel sorry for ourselves, may well be the ideal message for The coaching and Playing Group now, following Docherty's cruel injury blow.

One trait i felt Robert Walls had as a coach and listening to him in the media over the years, was he had a tough love approach, and seemed to try ensure players didn't feel sorry for themselves during a rough patch (or so it seems to me, happy to be proven wrong).

Although his philosophy and style seems antiquated today, maybe we (the collectively) need to buy into what Wallsy's selling, at least in the short term, to try and not dwell too much/badly on the irreplaceable Sam Docherty .

Just hoping the players do not fall into the (understandably) depressed rut us fans have slumped into since the shocking news yesterday.

Perhaps Walls isn't the answer, but i just hope the club has the qualified people in place to try keep the morale and spirit of the group up (which i am sure they have).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alphonse_

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly wouldn't mind Brendon Goddard at the club for 1 year/insurance for Docherty.

I recall reading an interview he did for Inside Football 2 or so years ago, with Brett Anderson, and it was a terrific, insightful read, BJ is a lot more intelligent and self-aware than his on-field actions/behaviour would have you believe, yes some of his on field tantrums are embarrassing, but to be fair, he wears his heart on his sleeve and admitted he wouldn't have signed with EFC if he knew about Hird/Dank/Peptidegate.

I reckon being forced to be the figurehead of the club during the 'banishment year' of the majority of their list probably broke him (perhaps understandably so)

If he came to Carlton, i"d be prepared to give him a chance (which doesn't seem likely though)

I never met the bloke, but i honestly think he is/was one of footy's most misunderstood souls. There had to be legit reasons why Essendon awarded him life membership after all, despite being under qualified.

Metalcrusher

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Blackburn United EPL ... sorta
I honestly wouldn't mind Brendon Goddard at the club for 1 year/insurance for Docherty.

I recall reading an interview he did for Inside Football 2 or so years ago, with Brett Anderson, and it was a terrific, insightful read, BJ is a lot more intelligent and self-aware than his on-field actions/behaviour would have you believe, yes some of his on field tantrums are embarrassing, but to be fair, he wears his heart on his sleeve and admitted he wouldn't have signed with EFC if he knew about Hird/Dank/Peptidegate.

I reckon being forced to be the figurehead of the club during the 'banishment year' of the majority of their list probably broke him (perhaps understandably so)

If he came to Carlton, i"d be prepared to give him a chance (which doesn't seem likely though)

I never met the bloke, but i honestly think he is/was one of footy's most misunderstood souls. There had to be legit reasons why Essendon awarded him life membership after all, despite being under qualified.
WTF!??!!?!??!?!

https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/brendon-goddard-has-been-slammed-for-his-on-field-/3396993/

Please tell me your post was very tongue in cheek ……

https://www.theage.com.au/video/vid...ooty/goddard-makes-a-mess-20170603-4upzq.html

Top Bottom