Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Nori

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
Jetta and Shaw I'll give you, but Malceski and Hannebury are not fast.

Wojinski, Mackie and Ablett could be said to be pacy, but Ablett was always more a sidestep rather than burst pace. Shannon Byrne was in and out of the side between 2007-11, and is kind of what I'm talking about when I say that pace is overrated; he was in that side to be a point of difference, and he was as poor a player in that Geelong side as there was.

Steven Salopek - provided that's who you're indicating - played as a pure midfielder, but was in and out of Port's side over his career, averaging over 20 disposals a match for only two years of his 8 year career. Shaun Burgoyne was maybe above average, and you're kidding me if you think it was his pace that set him apart. Rodan was average as a player. Pearce is the only one who I'd call a speedster from that list of names, and he needed a coach of the calibre of Clarkson to shape a gameplan around using his pace.

Look, I'm not saying that speed isn't useful, just like strength or height - or incredible endurance - isn't useful. More, than speed alone gets you absolutely nowhere, albeit very, very quickly.
Who ever said speed alone is all you need? That was never the argument.

I'm pleased you agree that a bit more speed in the side would be useful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gethelred

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Who ever said speed alone is all you need? That was never the argument.

I'm pleased you agree that a bit more speed in the side would be useful.
I am completely uninterested unless said speedy player can football, too, which was the point I was trying to get across.

I don't want another Jeff Garlett, afraid to get his jumper dirty.

Alphonse_

Senior List
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion or not, but rewatching the 99 Prelim Final on Fox Footy a week ago, a fair bit of the magic and joy i felt from that win has evaporated because of Justin Murphy and his disgraceful, unforgivable abuse of his ex-partner.

I take no happiness seeing him throw the ball up in the air after the siren, knowing what he did to his partner, causing her to lose her middle finger.

Losers like Murphy and Nick Stevens should never be welcome back at the club imho. Setting a new culture at the football club (especially now we have a women's team) should ensure have a zero tolerance for violence/spousal abuse against player's partners (or any person generally)

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
salient point - can't change the past though - he and stevens are virtually ex-communicated from the club I would think - any backdoor efforts to reintroduce them would see the end of me - luckily we don't have anniversaries for "almost" like the saints so I don't imagine jm will ever have to be officially excluded.......

katmanblue

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion or not, but rewatching the 99 Prelim Final on Fox Footy a week ago, a fair bit of the magic and joy i felt from that win has evaporated because of Justin Murphy and his disgraceful, unforgivable abuse of his ex-partner.

I take no happiness seeing him throw the ball up in the air after the siren, knowing what he did to his partner, causing her to lose her middle finger.

Losers like Murphy and Nick Stevens should never be welcome back at the club imho. Setting a new culture at the football club (especially now we have a women's team) should ensure have a zero tolerance for violence/spousal abuse against player's partners (or any person generally)
While I agree with you, I think you shouldn't let players off field antics colour your enjoyment of one of our best wins in recent memory.

I reckon while they are on the field they aren't people, they are just Bluebaggers. As soon as the match ends, they become people again. Just look at the jumper not the number.

Nothing to be done about past players. Who knows if anyone at the club knew how terrible these guys were as humans. Perhaps they were good at hiding it or maybe they spiralled after their playing days.

Current and future players should definitely be held to higher standards. Personalities such Justin Murphy and Nick Stevens should never play for the club again.

But don't let what these guys did AFTER their days at Carlton stop you enjoying what they did while they were with us.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

CJMB

Club Legend
AFL Club
Carlton
salient point - can't change the past though - he and stevens are virtually ex-communicated from the club I would think - any backdoor efforts to reintroduce them would see the end of me - luckily we don't have anniversaries for "almost" like the saints so I don't imagine jm will ever have to be officially excluded.......
I seem to remember seeing a locker room photo sometime in the past 12 months or so and Stevens' name was still there, so ex-communicated but definitely not forgotten.

I wouldn't be upset if #24 only displayed Savage and Allan.

Shame the bastard made it to 104, if only he'd tweaked a hammy or something and missed 4 weeks somewhere along the line so not to make the cut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbo's my hero

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Yes I think we should character test every Carlton player who has his name on a locker (and women in the future). Done bad. Off with their heads (remove name from locker).

thylacine60

Make me an Admin!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Insert Token EPL Club
Not to excuse bad behaviour by anyone ever by any means.
If your gonna base enjoyment of sport on what happens outside of the sport there won't be many champions left.
Now we best take down Jailbird Big Nicks status also if we are gonna go the whole hog.
we'll pop you in between stevens and murphy at the next get together............

AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester City, Boston Bruins
At least one team implodes every year. We just had the poor fortune to already be bottom 4 when we did.

:'(
So many I can see as potential sliders or lower teams who might not make the jump (yet).

Port - Wingard and Polec are big losses, Gray is almost exclusively a forward to injury and they’ve spent big on some flaky players

Bulldogs - Nice midfield mix, but no forwardline threats and it’s possible their finish last year actually accurately reflects where they are at.

Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell is an enormous loss, and they were already light on for depth. Think they’ll really slide, and any further injuries to O’Meara would be catastrophic.

Brisbane - Not completely convinced they are as far along as some suggest. Still quite young which will always bring mixed results.

Fremantle - Neale is a big loss, and I’d expect more of the same in 2019 in terms of W/L.

Geelong - Probably the least likely but I think they’ll at least slip out of the 8.

Adelaide - Maybe optimistic, but I’m not convinced they’re as good as 2017 suggests, to which a hell of a lot went right for them. Smith is coming off an ACL, B. Crouch is overrated on the whole, and I’m not sure the mental cohesion is still there. Interesting to see how their season plays out.

Top Bottom