Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Aug 27, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Manchester United
interesting observation. he had 15 possessions 7 tackles and two goals in his last game as a small forward in a game in which we got flogged. And clearly he has no capacity to improve.
His average stats of 7.5 touches 3 tackles and 0.2 goals a game I just don't think is enough and believe we have far better options available that will improve along side him. Guess that's why its a unpopular opinion?

Shambolic

Club Legend
May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Judge him when our forward entries are effective and we can start to lock it in. Our kicking to advantage was poor and needs to improve. Doubt any small forward would have done much last year.

Don’t get me wrong, am not a fan and haven’t seen anything at all level although his pre draft highlights were good

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Wallsy's stoic, get on with it, don't feel sorry for ourselves, may well be the ideal message for The coaching and Playing Group now, following Docherty's cruel injury blow.

One trait i felt Robert Walls had as a coach and listening to him in the media over the years, was he had a tough love approach, and seemed to try ensure players didn't feel sorry for themselves during a rough patch (or so it seems to me, happy to be proven wrong).

Although his philosophy and style seems antiquated today, maybe we (the collectively) need to buy into what Wallsy's selling, at least in the short term, to try and not dwell too much/badly on the irreplaceable Sam Docherty .

Just hoping the players do not fall into the (understandably) depressed rut us fans have slumped into since the shocking news yesterday.

Perhaps Walls isn't the answer, but i just hope the club has the qualified people in place to try keep the morale and spirit of the group up (which i am sure they have).

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
I honestly wouldn't mind Brendon Goddard at the club for 1 year/insurance for Docherty.

I recall reading an interview he did for Inside Football 2 or so years ago, with Brett Anderson, and it was a terrific, insightful read, BJ is a lot more intelligent and self-aware than his on-field actions/behaviour would have you believe, yes some of his on field tantrums are embarrassing, but to be fair, he wears his heart on his sleeve and admitted he wouldn't have signed with EFC if he knew about Hird/Dank/Peptidegate.

I reckon being forced to be the figurehead of the club during the 'banishment year' of the majority of their list probably broke him (perhaps understandably so)

If he came to Carlton, i"d be prepared to give him a chance (which doesn't seem likely though)

I never met the bloke, but i honestly think he is/was one of footy's most misunderstood souls. There had to be legit reasons why Essendon awarded him life membership after all, despite being under qualified.

I honestly wouldn't mind Brendon Goddard at the club for 1 year/insurance for Docherty.

I recall reading an interview he did for Inside Football 2 or so years ago, with Brett Anderson, and it was a terrific, insightful read, BJ is a lot more intelligent and self-aware than his on-field actions/behaviour would have you believe, yes some of his on field tantrums are embarrassing, but to be fair, he wears his heart on his sleeve and admitted he wouldn't have signed with EFC if he knew about Hird/Dank/Peptidegate.

I reckon being forced to be the figurehead of the club during the 'banishment year' of the majority of their list probably broke him (perhaps understandably so)

If he came to Carlton, i"d be prepared to give him a chance (which doesn't seem likely though)

I never met the bloke, but i honestly think he is/was one of footy's most misunderstood souls. There had to be legit reasons why Essendon awarded him life membership after all, despite being under qualified.

WTF!??!!?!??!?!

https://www.news-mail.com.au/news/brendon-goddard-has-been-slammed-for-his-on-field-/3396993/

Please tell me your post was very tongue in cheek ……

https://www.theage.com.au/video/vid...ooty/goddard-makes-a-mess-20170603-4upzq.html

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
1. GCS and Saints are the only two teams I think we may pass. Long shots are Brisbane, after that point, someone needs to implode.

2. I agree maybe not, but my gut instinct is more on the regret than happiness. Still hearing Stocker ranked 6th on our list is also interesting.

3. Good to see a change in strategy direction.

4. I agree with all your busts. Just Kennedy's lack of pace and I am not sure he is an amazing inside midfielder, so his chances are limited.
At least one team implodes every year. We just had the poor fortune to already be bottom 4 when we did.

:'(

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Our forwards will not be able to kick big scores until our ball movement from turnovers and our subsequent delivery by foot into the forward line takes a huge step forward.

Burst speed is part of this and currently we are dependent on a large group of unproven players that will need to massively improve for Carlton to be consistently competitive, i.e. Polson, Lang, Pickett, Garlett, Lebois, Williamson, Fasolo and Cuningham. Unfortunately these players are also the ones with the biggest question marks over their futures. We talk about Cripps needing support, but Murphy is the only proven player that can break lines with his dash forward of centre. He needs the support of another 2-3 quicks, so opposition teams can’t just concentrate on limiting Murphy’s influence.

If Carlton don’t win early games next year it’s probably going to be another long and largely unsuccessful season. If however the team can get some early wins on the board and feed off the youngsters’ enthusiasm we might see a huge improvement in both team and individual performances.
I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again; speed by foot is vastly overrated. There are plenty of players and teams that have done better with slower players than we currently possess. Speed of thought and disposal matter far, far more, as does a gameplan designed to minimise the risk of exposure from opposition pace. You can still play attacking footy whilst fielding a slower side; Geelong from 2007-2011 was the best attacking side over that time period, and the fastest bloke in there was either Motlop or Mackie, neither of which would set the world on fire (or Varcoe).

You need to be able to win the ball free of a stoppage cleanly (ie, not a hack kick stoppage 'win' which is immediately turned over or pressured again) and you need to be able to move the ball coherently from a wide position on the back/forward flank to/through CHF in a scoring position; it is best if you can cross the half forward line unpressured, as that provides you with options like crazy (go yourself, kick to a leading target, handball to a teammate to score) but if you can get the ball to CHF to kick into forward 50 - even under pressure - then you're going to see goals kicked.

It doesn't matter how you do it, by foot speed or disposal or by causing stoppage after stoppage after stoppage along the wing (Malthouse's Collingwood) to bring the ball all the way to the HF line before centring the thing, or by slingshotting the thing over opposition zones, getting the ball into the hands of your fastest player in a race to the forward line (Sydney, under Longmire). What matters is that you have a method to transition the ball quickly which doesn't result in a turnover 8 times out of ten.

That's our issue. Our clearances are not clean, and we cannot transition the ball quickly without causing turnovers.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I've said it in the past, and I'll say it again; speed by foot is vastly overrated. There are plenty of players and teams that have done better with slower players than we currently possess. Speed of thought and disposal matter far, far more, as does a gameplan designed to minimise the risk of exposure from opposition pace. You can still play attacking footy whilst fielding a slower side; Geelong from 2007-2011 was the best attacking side over that time period, and the fastest bloke in there was either Motlop or Mackie, neither of which would set the world on fire (or Varcoe).

You need to be able to win the ball free of a stoppage cleanly (ie, not a hack kick stoppage 'win' which is immediately turned over or pressured again) and you need to be able to move the ball coherently from a wide position on the back/forward flank to/through CHF in a scoring position; it is best if you can cross the half forward line unpressured, as that provides you with options like crazy (go yourself, kick to a leading target, handball to a teammate to score) but if you can get the ball to CHF to kick into forward 50 - even under pressure - then you're going to see goals kicked.

It doesn't matter how you do it, by foot speed or disposal or by causing stoppage after stoppage after stoppage along the wing (Malthouse's Collingwood) to bring the ball all the way to the HF line before centring the thing, or by slingshotting the thing over opposition zones, getting the ball into the hands of your fastest player in a race to the forward line (Sydney, under Longmire). What matters is that you have a method to transition the ball quickly which doesn't result in a turnover 8 times out of ten.

That's our issue. Our clearances are not clean, and we cannot transition the ball quickly without causing turnovers.
Slow sides get found out. You don’t have to be fast all over the ground but you do need players that can carry the ball and break lines.

It’s not the whole puzzle, but it is a piece of the puzzle.

Last edited:
Love your posts BlueGum. They're always bright and positive, but you're complaining about someone calling a player "a dud". Really??? Fair to say we're a bloody long way from a never-ending tirade of four letter adjectives here aren't we???
S*** sorry TSG, missed your response and been tardy replying. I like your posting too, generous with your time and effort to go watch and write up observations about players, particularly the youngsters coming through. And the "yours truly" photos. Bit different to the normal media ones, like you want to be on the ground with them, seeing what they do in traffic, and do for the team. Thanks.

Yeah, I don't like dud labels.

It was kind of like your "vanilla" s**t stirring. Turned into a interesting conversation about player attributes when you described what you meant. Everyone got into the discussion about the attributes, rather than take positions about the label. :)

I really hope that you are right but one glaring commonality 2019 will have with 2018 is a largely young and inexperienced list.
throw a spoonful of extra 12 months experience & pre-season mayo on that blt please, norster......

Back