Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Wallsy's stoic, get on with it, don't feel sorry for ourselves, may well be the ideal message for The coaching and Playing Group now, following Docherty's cruel injury blow.

One trait i felt Robert Walls had as a coach and listening to him in the media over the years, was he had a tough love approach, and seemed to try ensure players didn't feel sorry for themselves during a rough patch (or so it seems to me, happy to be proven wrong).

Although his philosophy and style seems antiquated today, maybe we (the collectively) need to buy into what Wallsy's selling, at least in the short term, to try and not dwell too much/badly on the irreplaceable Sam Docherty .

Just hoping the players do not fall into the (understandably) depressed rut us fans have slumped into since the shocking news yesterday.

Perhaps Walls isn't the answer, but i just hope the club has the qualified people in place to try keep the morale and spirit of the group up (which i am sure they have).
tough love needs to be tempered - his extremes are legendary (and documented) you don't get players to smack the crap out of other players in a so-called training exercise unless it is YOU that is angry - that's your issue more than theirs - how and if he can influence the coaches will be an interesting exercise to observe - he may be rejected if his thinking is too far removed from current standards - think he has mellowed somewhat though it's certainly true different players can respond well to different coaching, mentoring and support styles......

Bamboo Harvester

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2018
Shark Bay
AFL Club
Carlton
Walls just needs to pull his head in and do what he was engaged to do for the club, which is to 'mentor' the coaching staff, not provide a culture of 'tough love' to the players...that is ******* old school!!!

If he wasn't a Carlton legend....say it was a Grant Thomas or a Mick Malthouse, we'd be telling them to **** off!!

For mine, I would much rather have Parko down there than Walls.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Slow sides get found out. You don’t have to be fast all over the ground but you do need players that can carry the ball and break lines.

It’s not the whole puzzle, but it is a piece of the puzzle.

Like Geelong circa 2007-2011 did? Like Hawthorn between 2012-2015? Like every single Sydney side that has won a flag in the AFL era???

Slow sides get found out if, and only if, their coaching and their disposal is not up to snuff. Outside of that - and legspeed's ability to tear games open, if you can break the ball free or the opposition are not set up ahead of the ball - it's all between the ears and in speed of hand to ball/boot.

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Walls just needs to pull his head in and do what he was engaged to do for the club, which is to 'mentor' the coaching staff, not provide a culture of 'tough love' to the players...that is ******* old school!!!

If he wasn't a Carlton legend....say it was a Grant Thomas or a Mick Malthouse, we'd be telling them to **** off!!

For mine, I would much rather have Parko down there than Walls.
The problem is no player or coach will understand what Parko is talking about. A bit too intelligent for our modern man.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Like Geelong circa 2007-2011 did? Like Hawthorn between 2012-2015? Like every single Sydney side that has won a flag in the AFL era???

Slow sides get found out if, and only if, their coaching and their disposal is not up to snuff. Outside of that - and legspeed's ability to tear games open, if you can break the ball free or the opposition are not set up ahead of the ball - it's all between the ears and in speed of hand to ball/boot.
Those sides weren't particularly slow. They still had ball carriers.

Your theory that speed is unnecessary makes about as much sense as height is unnecessary. I guess we'll just have to disagree.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Those sides weren't particularly slow. They still had ball carriers.

Your theory that speed is unnecessary makes about as much sense as height is unnecessary. I guess we'll just have to disagree.
Didn't say that speed is unnecessary, just that it's overrated in terms of its importance.

And those sides, outside of maybe one or two players, were almost ubiquitously one paced.

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Wojinski, Byrne, Mackie, Pearce, S. Burgoyne, Rodan, Salopek, Ablett. That’s just 2007...

Shaw, Jetta, Malceski, Hannebery, 2012 Sydney Swans GF...

I could name 4 others from each team with above average speed if you like!

Point being that extreme speed is a must, especially coming off the wings and through half back, if you want to win a flag that is...;)

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Wojinski, Byrne, Mackie, Pearce, S. Burgoyne, Rodan, Salopek, Ablett. That’s just 2007...

Shaw, Jetta, Malceski, Hannebery, 2012 Sydney Swans GF...

I could name 4 others from each team with above average speed if you like!

Point being that extreme speed is a must, especially coming off the wings and through half back, if you want to win a flag that is...;)
Jetta and Shaw I'll give you, but Malceski and Hannebury are not fast.

Wojinski, Mackie and Ablett could be said to be pacy, but Ablett was always more a sidestep rather than burst pace. Shannon Byrne was in and out of the side between 2007-11, and is kind of what I'm talking about when I say that pace is overrated; he was in that side to be a point of difference, and he was as poor a player in that Geelong side as there was.

Steven Salopek - provided that's who you're indicating - played as a pure midfielder, but was in and out of Port's side over his career, averaging over 20 disposals a match for only two years of his 8 year career. Shaun Burgoyne was maybe above average, and you're kidding me if you think it was his pace that set him apart. Rodan was average as a player. Pearce is the only one who I'd call a speedster from that list of names, and he needed a coach of the calibre of Clarkson to shape a gameplan around using his pace.

Look, I'm not saying that speed isn't useful, just like strength or height - or incredible endurance - isn't useful. More, than speed alone gets you absolutely nowhere, albeit very, very quickly.

goreds

Premiership Player
Oct 10, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Wojinski, Mackie and Ablett could be said to be pacy, but Ablett was always more a sidestep rather than burst pace. Shannon Byrne was in and out of the side between 2007-11, and is kind of what I'm talking about when I say that pace is overrated; he was in that side to be a point of difference, and he was as poor a player in that Geelong side as there was.

Steven Salopek - provided that's who you're indicating - played as a pure midfielder, but was in and out of Port's side over his career, averaging over 20 disposals a match for only two years of his 8 year career. Shaun Burgoyne was maybe above average, and you're kidding me if you think it was his pace that set him apart. Rodan was average as a player. Pearce is the only one who I'd call a speedster from that list of names, and he needed a coach of the calibre of Clarkson to shape a gameplan around using his pace.

Look, I'm not saying that speed isn't useful, just like strength or height - or incredible endurance - isn't useful. More, than speed alone gets you absolutely nowhere, albeit very, very quickly.

I still have visions of the slowest player ‘Mitchell’ feeding Hill and Smith on the outside in 2013 and 2014 and a BLOKE by the of Rioli who could run a bit as well tearing it up...

Probably the most complete side ever gathered...

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I still have visions of the slowest player ‘Mitchell’ feeding Hill and Smith on the outside in 2013 and 2014 and a BLOKE by the of Rioli who could run a bit as well tearing it up...

Probably the most complete side ever gathered...
Pretty bloody close. Just an absolute machine, with every piece working as intended.

Helped that the quick, the strong, and tall could all football. For me, that's the important bit.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
throw a spoonful of extra 12 months experience & pre-season mayo on that blt please, norster......

Agree. We are nowhere near as young in 2019. The benefit of 2018 is a lot of young players got games they wouldn't have normally. Our first lot of draftees under this regime is now in their 4th years. There is a good group in their 3rd years. Dow is mature beyond his years as is Walsh. We have added McGovern, Bugg, Goddard, Setterfield, Newman, Fasolo who are all ready to go mature body players and we haven't lost anyone of consequence.

In most peoples best 22 we have Cripps Kruezer Curnow Simpson Jones Plowman Murphy McGovern Newman (for Docherty) maybe Thomas. Weitering SPS Charlie Fisher Marchbank are all around the 50 game mark and have had 4 pre seasons

IMO youth isn't the issue anymore

2 seriously fast players are a luxury in any side- Geelong picked em up seemingly without effort....that Wojinski was the fastest player in AFL off HB -- an absolute jet - pity he copped more than his fair share of injury bad luck over the years...

we've got Pickett all by himself on Carlton list as far as serious speed over 30-40 meters goes - kid is Yarranesque silk but maybe doesn't have the footy brain to match it....we'll see this year..that being said I reckon ground coverage capability has just gone up a notch with Walsh and LoB on the list added to Ed/Charlie forwards and mids are covered- I think slightly exposed for lack of leg speed (again) down back - both Byrne ( jet) and Docherty hard runner are gone (again) Simmo is good but not a serious speedster...the talls aren't slugs - but they aren't gunna do the rebound running...

Getting out of defensive 50 - is #1 issue to be fixed I would have thought - can't have a repeat of 2018 standards again...worth half a dozen games or more - just fixing that to average standards in AFL.

Nori

Club Legend
Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

Who ever said speed alone is all you need? That was never the argument.

I'm pleased you agree that a bit more speed in the side would be useful.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Who ever said speed alone is all you need? That was never the argument.

I'm pleased you agree that a bit more speed in the side would be useful.
I am completely uninterested unless said speedy player can football, too, which was the point I was trying to get across.

I don't want another Jeff Garlett, afraid to get his jumper dirty.

Back