Unpopular Carlton Opinions

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion or not, but rewatching the 99 Prelim Final on Fox Footy a week ago, a fair bit of the magic and joy i felt from that win has evaporated because of Justin Murphy and his disgraceful, unforgivable abuse of his ex-partner.

I take no happiness seeing him throw the ball up in the air after the siren, knowing what he did to his partner, causing her to lose her middle finger.

Losers like Murphy and Nick Stevens should never be welcome back at the club imho. Setting a new culture at the football club (especially now we have a women's team) should ensure have a zero tolerance for violence/spousal abuse against player's partners (or any person generally)

salient point - can't change the past though - he and stevens are virtually ex-communicated from the club I would think - any backdoor efforts to reintroduce them would see the end of me - luckily we don't have anniversaries for "almost" like the saints so I don't imagine jm will ever have to be officially excluded.......

Nov 27, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure if this counts as an unpopular opinion or not, but rewatching the 99 Prelim Final on Fox Footy a week ago, a fair bit of the magic and joy i felt from that win has evaporated because of Justin Murphy and his disgraceful, unforgivable abuse of his ex-partner.

I take no happiness seeing him throw the ball up in the air after the siren, knowing what he did to his partner, causing her to lose her middle finger.

Losers like Murphy and Nick Stevens should never be welcome back at the club imho. Setting a new culture at the football club (especially now we have a women's team) should ensure have a zero tolerance for violence/spousal abuse against player's partners (or any person generally)
While I agree with you, I think you shouldn't let players off field antics colour your enjoyment of one of our best wins in recent memory.

I reckon while they are on the field they aren't people, they are just Bluebaggers. As soon as the match ends, they become people again. Just look at the jumper not the number.

Nothing to be done about past players. Who knows if anyone at the club knew how terrible these guys were as humans. Perhaps they were good at hiding it or maybe they spiralled after their playing days.

Current and future players should definitely be held to higher standards. Personalities such Justin Murphy and Nick Stevens should never play for the club again.

But don't let what these guys did AFTER their days at Carlton stop you enjoying what they did while they were with us.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
salient point - can't change the past though - he and stevens are virtually ex-communicated from the club I would think - any backdoor efforts to reintroduce them would see the end of me - luckily we don't have anniversaries for "almost" like the saints so I don't imagine jm will ever have to be officially excluded.......
I seem to remember seeing a locker room photo sometime in the past 12 months or so and Stevens' name was still there, so ex-communicated but definitely not forgotten.

I wouldn't be upset if #24 only displayed Savage and Allan.

Shame the bastard made it to 104, if only he'd tweaked a hammy or something and missed 4 weeks somewhere along the line so not to make the cut.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys
Not to excuse bad behaviour by anyone ever by any means.
If your gonna base enjoyment of sport on what happens outside of the sport there won't be many champions left.
Now we best take down Jailbird Big Nicks status also if we are gonna go the whole hog.
What?:mad:

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
Yes I think we should character test every Carlton player who has his name on a locker (and women in the future). Done bad. Off with their heads (remove name from locker).

Not to excuse bad behaviour by anyone ever by any means.
If your gonna base enjoyment of sport on what happens outside of the sport there won't be many champions left.
Now we best take down Jailbird Big Nicks status also if we are gonna go the whole hog.
we'll pop you in between stevens and murphy at the next get together............

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
At least one team implodes every year. We just had the poor fortune to already be bottom 4 when we did.

:'(

So many I can see as potential sliders or lower teams who might not make the jump (yet).

Port - Wingard and Polec are big losses, Gray is almost exclusively a forward to injury and they’ve spent big on some flaky players

Bulldogs - Nice midfield mix, but no forwardline threats and it’s possible their finish last year actually accurately reflects where they are at.

Hawthorn - Tom Mitchell is an enormous loss, and they were already light on for depth. Think they’ll really slide, and any further injuries to O’Meara would be catastrophic.

Brisbane - Not completely convinced they are as far along as some suggest. Still quite young which will always bring mixed results.

Fremantle - Neale is a big loss, and I’d expect more of the same in 2019 in terms of W/L.

Geelong - Probably the least likely but I think they’ll at least slip out of the 8.

Adelaide - Maybe optimistic, but I’m not convinced they’re as good as 2017 suggests, to which a hell of a lot went right for them. Smith is coming off an ACL, B. Crouch is overrated on the whole, and I’m not sure the mental cohesion is still there. Interesting to see how their season plays out.

Winning games will be important in 2019.
Yep, don’t want the newbies getting used to losing like some of the older crew have.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
There is a single difference between Adelaide 2017 and Carlton 2011, and that is their home ground advantage.

Just look at the degree to which they've completely fallen off since then. That team has refused multiple chances to reinvigorate via obtaining youth - had the opted radically for the draft at the end of last year, they could've gotten all three of Luko, Rankine, Rozee, and potentially some of the midfielders between 19-35, given their amount of picks they had in the draft, the players they had at their disposal (Jenkins, Lynch) to trade for more first round picks - and is now a flat track bully of a side that falls to pieces against quality yet can and will beat up on poor opposition when at home.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
There is a single difference between Adelaide 2017 and Carlton 2011, and that is their home ground advantage.

Just look at the degree to which they've completely fallen off since then. That team has refused multiple chances to reinvigorate via obtaining youth - had the opted radically for the draft at the end of last year, they could've gotten all three of Luko, Rankine, Rozee, and potentially some of the midfielders between 19-35, given their amount of picks they had in the draft, the players they had at their disposal (Jenkins, Lynch) to trade for more first round picks - and is now a flat track bully of a side that falls to pieces against quality yet can and will beat up on poor opposition when at home.

The only similarity I can see is both teams were reasonably average for all their hype. Adelaide depth is actually reasonable, and they’ve got quality all over the field, but they don’t have any players of Judd’s quality - or in this age no Dangerfield or Coniglio or Fyfe, just a heap of very good midfielders who are pretty similar stylistally, and Gibbs who is in decline.

In 2017 they benefitted from having a number of players having virtually career best years and playing cohesive footy. We generally just put lesser teams to the sword through our attack. Adelaide just had a plethora of options, which meant someone was always out, and is the exact reason someone like Tom Lynch is so overrated and gets adulated far beyond his talent level, despite just playing his role adequately.

I’d actually back our 2011 team against their 2017 team easily. We were contending with some gun teams too, whereas they were contending with good teams in form, and very good teams out of form.

Last edited:

Just look at the degree to which they've completely fallen off since then. That team has refused multiple chances to reinvigorate via obtaining youth - had the opted radically for the draft at the end of last year, they could've gotten all three of Luko, Rankine, Rozee, and some of the midfielders between 19-35, given their amount of picks they had in the draft, the players they had at their disposal (Jenkins, Lynch) to trade for more first round picks - and is now a flat track bully of a side that falls to pieces against quality yet can and will beat up on poor opposition when at home.
Not an unpopular opinion.

Aug 16, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal

Whats unpopular about this?

Alphonse_

Matching On Together
Jul 18, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Mark LoGuidace is a big cuddly teddy bear and I want to give him a hug X

Also Zac Fisher should be put on the trade table if we could get a decent return for him (like that big log Sean Darcy from Freo)

I will let myself out before you all stick me with pitchfolks and burn me at the stake lol

Moody Blue

Premiership Player
May 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
If Carlton don't beat GCS tomorrow, Port Adelaide, Adelaide and Carlton will be under the media spotlight. All of the excuses the club has made will be put under scrutiny.

Since entering the competition GWS has won 63 games & GCS 44.5 games. Carlton won 59 games since 2011 when GCS entered the competition.
Carltons winning average for the past 8 years has been 7.37.
Since 2001 Carlton has won 135.5 games with an average of 7.5.

Pretty damning stats.

Back