Remove this Banner Ad

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
If Brad Couch leaves we are going to have a HUGE hole to fill in the midfield.

Throw a few $$ as Shaun Burgoyne on a 1 year deal with a view to coaching the year after?

Anyone have any news on whether Hawks would be grooming him for a role?

I look at Brisbane and can see just how much they benefited from Luke Hodge guiding their younger players. Burgoyne can still play, and i feel like we're going to be far too inexperienced in the middle if Crouch is gone.

I'd personally prefer an Andrew Gaff or Dominic Sheed from WC...both with a few years left (Sheed 5+, Gaff ~3)...and both playing second fiddle to Shuey, Kelly and Yeo....can't understand how WC stay under the salary cap with all those...and the likes of Kennedy and McGovern....

Would be happy to have him in a coaching role but not as a player. He's too damn old.

Frankly I think Hodge's role in helping Brisbane is vastly overrated when you look at the talent they've brought in over the last few years.
I think Hodge provided leadership and direction off field more than on. Setting standards is so vital which he would have done. It’s the reason Port are doing so well as Boak is a ripper on that. We have no one that even comes close.

I think Hodge provided leadership and direction off field more than on. Setting standards is so vital which he would have done. It’s the reason Port are doing so well as Boak is a ripper on that. We have no one that even comes close.
They added more top shelf talent in one year than we have in a decade though. Fagan himself gives credit to their medical staff for turning a basket case into a destination club. Turning around their rehab program was the turning point.

Not saying that Hodge wasn't handy too, just that his role is overblown by w***ers in the Vic media who like fellating themselves.

GC threw a bit at him and couldn't convince him. Even after he checked out schools in the area for his kids. He sure as hell isn't coming here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Edwards or Shannon Hurn are the ones we should be looking at if we want senior leadership in.

My potentially unpopular opinions:
- Seedsman is not nearly as bad defensively as people say and is one of our few decent players
- Key Forwards are massively overrated and we should be using first round picks purely for midfielders
- JJ on the decline now but was probably unfairly viewed by this board

Throw a few $$ as Shaun Burgoyne on a 1 year deal with a view to coaching the year after?

I look at Brisbane and can see just how much they benefited from Luke Hodge guiding their younger players. Burgoyne can still play, and i feel like we're going to be far too inexperienced in the middle if Crouch is gone.
The only player I would offer a deal like this too is David Mundy. And he wouldn't leave Freo.

Dan Andrews is less cooked
As a Victorian and a crows supporter I'm not sure whether this is an insult or a compliment to one or the other.

Advertiser article suggests he wants to go around again. I think first and foremost the player needs to be rolled gold best 22 and I'm not sure where Shaun is at there. Also, Hodge was organising player positioning in the back half, that's an ideal role for onfield coaching. I'd consider Mundy, but I'm not convinced there's any onfield coaching value with midfielders, it's more a lead by example role. Then there's the reality of denying development minutes to future players. I guess I'm on the fence.

I'd personally prefer an Andrew Gaff or Dominic Sheed from WC...both with a few years left (Sheed 5+, Gaff ~3)...and both playing second fiddle to Shuey, Kelly and Yeo....can't understand how WC stay under the salary cap with all those...and the likes of Kennedy and McGovern....

It's an amazingly consistent question, "how does Richmond, Geelong, Pies, Eagles, Hawks, any decent team acquiring a highly paid gun, fit them under the TPP?". Ever wonder if it's us?

Would be happy to have him in a coaching role but not as a player. He's too damn old.

Frankly I think Hodge's role in helping Brisbane is vastly overrated when you look at the talent they've brought in over the last few years.

Per a previous post, I'm not convinced this is correct. But there's a world of difference between having Luke Hodge organise a backline in quiter moments and pass on that experience and a 35yo midfielder flat knacker, gasping for air and trying to get the pill.

We need someone who we know is going to bring elite training and game day standards, help improve our culture, and bridge that gap whilst we bring in more rookies over the next few years, particularly through the midfield. I think we're OK with our experienced defenders in Talia and Brown, and up forward in Tex and Lynch, but if Crouch goes we'll be sorely lacking in experienced mids, particularly if Sloane is out injured. A minimum of 95% of your cap HAS to be spent every year, and surely with Crouch gone, as well as a few retirements/de-listings, we would be able to bank that extra 5% over the next 2-3 years to build up a war chest, whilst still being able to afford to offer someone a 2-3 year contract on good money.

When I saw the thread title I was trying to guess to myself what would be in it. I didn't expect this! I agree with the posters who think that Hodge's influence at Brisbane is overrated. He would have offered something though. We are in a vastly different position to what Brisbane were in. Brisabane had a lot of youth already on their list and very little senior leadership. Their captain was Dane Zorko the guy who refused to shake Touk Miller's hand and then embarrassed himself trying to shake it repeatedly the next time they played and their captain before that was Tom Rockliff of all people! We don't have a lot going for us at the moment but we do have very good leaders on the list. Our problem at the moment is having too many experienced players without adding to them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back