Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

David Hussey was quite correctly not given a Test cap, ordinary player.
So you're making an assessment completely disregarding his domestic record. Take note Carbine Chaos that's the same thought process as SOK.

So you're making an assessment completely disregarding his domestic record. Take note Carbine Chaos that's the same thought process as SOK.
I think he could have done alright at Test level. I think his non-selection is understandable given the quality of batting options we had for much of his career. When he was in his prime, anyway. I think the difference with O'Keefe is post-Warne some of the options were pretty ordinary players. Lyon has done well enough since he has come in, mind.

I could be mistaken but based on The_Reaper's stats, Hussey had a tendency to have a s**t season when a spot would have been open for him. That'd definitely be a part of why he didn't play a test

I think he could have done alright at Test level. I think his non-selection is understandable given the quality of batting options we had for much of his career. When he was in his prime, anyway. I think the difference with O'Keefe is post-Warne some of the options were pretty ordinary players. Lyon has done well enough since he has come in, mind.

That's a separate issue entirely, I've never argued against his selection when it demands a second spinner, just that I don't think he will be successful and as such I'm not overly fazed by his Shield stats. My eyes tell me a different story.

always rated your posts mate. You make a great point we dont play enough. Are we serious about it? Can we be?

make runs they say at domestic level to gain selectorship. Bancroft is a good example....run makers occupy the top order, like banny. but enter the national team he's put down the order cause the establishment are set. what to do?

Can't remember the exact situation at the time (I think Wade was injured), but I think the correct choice would be to not select Bancroft in the first place. You're surely not selecting him for his keeping, he's never going to open in that line-up, and there's no real value or learning to be had batting him at #7.

David's Hussey's problem was more that he was a middle order player and the middle order was pretty stable with his brother and Clarke. Sure guys like Cowan and Hughes got a run but they were opening the batting.

North got a run for a bit because he could have a bowl and had okay sort of test career. 5 centuries is enough to understand why he got persisted with to that length.

And after 2010/11 Ponting dropped down to number 4 so between Ponting-Clarke-Hussey there were only top order spots available.

Code:
David Hussey
Season  Sta Mat Inns NO Runs  HS   Ave    BF    SRATE 100 50 0
2005/06 VIC  10   18  2  502  86   31.37   721  69.62   0  5 2
2006/07 VIC  10   18  1  911 131   53.58  1546  58.92   3  5 2
2007/08 VIC  11   20  2 1008 104   56.00  1487  67.78   2  8 0
2008/09 VIC   9   14  1  522 113   40.15   839  62.21   1  4 0
2009/10 VIC  10   17  0  970 174   57.05  1254  77.35   3  5 2
2010/11 VIC   6   12  2  401 122   40.10   719  55.77   1  1 1
2011/12 VIC   5    9  1  436 130   54.50   624  69.87   1  3 0
2012/13 VIC   9   15  0  358 112   23.86   658  54.40   1  1 0
2013/14 VIC   7   12  1  573  88   52.09   912  62.92   0  5 0
2014/15 VIC   7   10  2  532 142   66.50   896  59.37   2  1 1

Unfortunately for him 2012/13 was pretty much the point where a whole bunch of spots opened up with Ponting and Hussey retiring and by then David Hussey was well into his 30s and had just come off a 24 average season.

Overstated first class career perhaps but given the volume of players who have carved out excellent test careers with numbers inferior to Hussey's Shield record alone, it's tough to mount an argument to suggest he wouldn't have made it in tests if given a decent run.

Clarke averaged 47 for his whole FC career, presumably less in Shield, he turned out ok.

Clarke didn't get the easy county cricket runs and barely got to play sheffield shield at his peak.

Its a side effect of the biggest issue with shield cricket - the best players don't play it anymore so the standard drops and its harder and harder to compare it to test cricket so selectors are more likely to want to go with their gut feel.

From the 2005/06 season onwards, Clarke only played 11 shield games.

Clarke didn't get the easy county cricket runs and barely got to play sheffield shield at his peak.

Its a side effect of the biggest issue with shield cricket - the best players don't play it anymore so the standard drops and its harder and harder to compare it to test cricket so selectors are more likely to want to go with their gut feel.

From the 2005/06 season onwards, Clarke only played 11 shield games.

Good thing he didn't. He only averaged 35 while he was over there.

Im born and bred Anglo-Saxon Australian and a cricket tragic but I hate the Australian cricket team with a passion. I hope they lose every match they play regardless of who is in the team. Started about 1995 when they won in the West Indies. Since then Ive literally hoped they'd lose every match they play. Don't know why exactly. Maybe its the 'go for the underdog' in me, or my hatred of arrogance. I cant ever go for them, its just not natural.

Most hated players probably Warner, Haddin, Wade, Hayden and McGrath.

Shoot me.

Im born and bred Anglo-Saxon Australian and a cricket tragic but I hate the Australian cricket team with a passion. I hope they lose every match they play regardless of who is in the team. Started about 1995 when they won in the West Indies. Since then Ive literally hoped they'd lose every match they play. Don't know why exactly. Maybe its the 'go for the underdog' in me, or my hatred of arrogance. I cant ever go for them, its just not natural.

Shoot me.
More worried about your username tbh... Makes little sense to me.

Shoot me.

Surely the personalities change over the course of time though?

I'm more than comfortable seeing Australia being beat and hate the whole "'strayan way" being drummed up by peanut supporters and media types, but each group changes a fair bit. Being a national representative side you don't have the same kind of homogenous culture that I suppose footy used to be like through indoctronating young guys solely through geographical location to the extent that they truly display the inner culture of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoot me.

This is essentially an identical bio to mine. Even started around the same time.

Every generation that passes I think I'll start to soften my stance but then the new players turn into equally big knobs. See Mitchell Starc for example.

Shoot me.
You hate arrogance yet have one of the players for the Indian cricket team in your username? ;)

This is essentially an identical bio to mine. Even started around the same time.

Every generation that passes I think I'll start to soften my stance but then the new players turn into equally big knobs. See Mitchell Starc for example.
I suppose you're lucky no knobs have played in the side you support then.

Oh wait...

Shoot me.
Wade? You say arrogance then you list Wade; who was on the outer from a few selectors because he cut through the arrogance of them? ******* hell...

Of all the players you could choose, it's Starc? Ahead of Warner, Maxwell, Faulkner?

Wade? You say arrogance then you list Wade; who was on the outer from a few selectors because he cut through the arrogance of them? ******* hell...

Of all the players you could choose, it's Starc? Ahead of Warner, Maxwell, Faulkner?

What has Maxwell done that is knob like? He jokingly gave himself a nickname that stuck, and gave an honest answer in an interview about his batting position in his state side. With some justification.

Being a bit thick doesn't make you a knob.

I wouldn't pick anyone ahead of warner in that department but I figured that goes without saying.

Starc bowls spells full of pies and then gets a wicket and carries on like he's bowled Bradman round his legs. He looks about as tough as an ice skater's best mate. The guy has talent but has seriously started to look a tool IMO.

Faulkner goes without saying.

What has Maxwell done that is knob like? He jokingly gave himself a nickname that stuck, and gave an honest answer in an interview about his batting position in his state side. With some justification.

I wouldn't pick anyone ahead of warner in that department but I figured that goes without saying.

Starc bowls spells full of pies and then gets a wicket and carries on like he's bowled Bradman round his legs. He looks about as tough as an ice skater's best mate. The guy has talent but has seriously started to look a tool IMO.

Maxwell is a massive knob. He is extremely unpopular in the Victorian dressing rooms for a reason.

He hadn't made a ton since 2014. There; justification as to why Wade was batting ahead of him.

Maxwell is a massive knob. He is extremely unpopular in the Victorian dressing rooms for a reason.

He hadn't made a ton since 2014. There; justification as to why Wade was batting ahead of him.

Wade hasn't made one since February 2015 either.

I wouldn't have a clue about the inner workings of the Victorian dressing room. But ive seen nothing on public display to really make him more dislikeable than most of the others.

He didn't even give himself that nickname, he has said that someone in the Victorian set-up (Finch or Wade maybe?) gave him that nickname and he hates it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back