Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

His keeping and the fact that imo his batting isn't really that good.

Better than Haddin though.

Dunno about that.

14 of his 35 scores of 50+ in test cricket came when England were either 4 down for less than 100 (when he batted 6), 5 for less than 150 or 6 for less than 200.
There's another 4 innings that fall just outside that criteria as well but for all intents and purposes, his side was in trouble. So for a bloke to average 40, have a strike rate in the 60s, and contribute as often when his side is battling as he does when they're on top is all you can ask of a keeper batsman surely.

Mind you, as has been alluded to, his actually keeping wasn't great.

Dunno about that.

14 of his 35 scores of 50+ in test cricket came when England were either 4 down for less than 100 (when he batted 6), 5 for less than 150 or 6 for less than 200.
There's another 4 innings that fall just outside that criteria as well but for all intents and purposes, his side was in trouble. So for a bloke to average 40, have a strike rate in the 60s, and contribute as often when his side is battling as he does when they're on top is all you can ask of a keeper batsman surely.

Mind you, as has been alluded to, his actually keeping wasn't great.

Its possible that I'm stuck with a few conceptions of my own in regards to his batting.

I do consider Boucher a much better player though.

Its possible that I'm stuck with a few conceptions of my own in regards to his batting.

I do consider Boucher a much better player though.

He was a much better keeper and doubtless he was a very gritty batsman.

Prior was a bit of a man for all conditions though in that he did all 3 jobs a number 7 batsman can do, on a regular basis. He pummelled attacks that were already defeated, he rescued his side, and he also frequently took scores that threatened to be 300-ish and turned them into good totals around 400.

He did have a couple of lean patches against Australia and his only real rescue missions against us were the absolutely pointless ones where he'd make 60 in a total of 180 or so, which might affect a lot of peoples' memory of him.

Reckon cricket at highest level isnt very professional. The inability of most sides to win away from home is damning.

This test series v India if in Australia would see Australia pronounced favourites. In India its the other way.

Embarrassing really for the sport

How does that have anything to do with professionalism? Does it make tennis unprofessional because Gustavo Kuerten would destroy Sampras at Roland Garros circa 2000 but Sampras would destroy Kuerten at Wimbledon?

That's not embarrassing, that's reality. Cricket more than any other hand-eye sport has the biggest variables in conditions from place to place (I suppose in a different way you could argue that golf does but that's a different matter).

Since the sport began, teams have had trouble winning in vastly different conditions.

Even in our local comp there's one club who has their own home ground and no matter how often we play them there, we can't beat them. They handle the pitch better and bat perfectly to the small boundaries.

How does that have anything to do with professionalism? Does it make tennis unprofessional because Gustavo Kuerten would destroy Sampras at Roland Garros circa 2000 but Sampras would destroy Kuerten at Wimbledon?

That's not embarrassing, that's reality. Cricket more than any other hand-eye sport has the biggest variables in conditions from place to place (I suppose in a different way you could argue that golf does but that's a different matter).

Since the sport began, teams have had trouble winning in vastly different conditions.

Even in our local comp there's one club who has their own home ground and no matter how often we play them there, we can't beat them. They handle the pitch better and bat perfectly to the small boundaries.
French Open is.an appalling example. The shoddiest event of the tour. Sampras Federer et al win everywhere else. India australia England nowhere but home.

Surely you have to question legitimacy of the.sport when nations cant win away

Christ even melbourne FC wins away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

French Open is.an appalling example. The shoddiest event of the tour. Sampras Federer et al win everywhere else. India australia England nowhere but home.

Surely you have to question legitimacy of the.sport when nations cant win away

Christ even melbourne FC wins away

What, so Sampras etc won Monte Carlo and the multitude of other events on clay did he?

What, so Sampras etc won Monte Carlo and the multitude of other events on clay did he?
He won eveything but clay. 3 out of 4 grand slams. Current cricketers cant win anything but soft safe home patch.

I hope australia is at least competitive in india but reality is they will throw towel in like the entire world sport when things get tough away from home

He won eveything but clay. 3 out of 4 grand slams. Current cricketers cant win anything but soft safe home patch.

I hope australia is at least competitive in india but reality is they will throw towel in like the entire world sport when things get tough away from home

Off the top of my head (there's probably other examples) in the last 12 months:
England won in SA
SA won in Australia
Australia won in NZ
West Indies won a test in the UAE and should have won the series
Pakistan drew in England.
South Africa only recently had a streak of 9 consecutive years without defeat overseas.

Yes, very barren 12 months for away sides.

Melbourne City?

F*** it must be hard to go to another ground that has exactly the same dimensions, conditions, bar temperature, as your own.

Off the top of my head (there's probably other examples) in the last 12 months:
England won in SA
SA won in Australia
Australia won in NZ
West Indies won a test in the UAE and should have won the series
Pakistan drew in England.
South Africa only recently had a streak of 9 consecutive years without defeat overseas.

Yes, very barren 12 months for away sides.

Melbourne City?

F*** it must be hard to go to another ground that has exactly the same dimensions, conditions, bar temperature, as your own.
You think australia will.win in india?

Here's one. I think M. Marsh is a better bowler at test level than batsmen.
On the other hand I think he is a very competent ODI batsmen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyon outbowled SOK in Pune.

Which isn't to say O'Keefe got lucky or anything like that, sometimes that's just the way the cards fall. It was nice to see Lyon finally get some reward at the end with the last 3 poles.

Lyon outbowled SOK in Pune.

Which isn't to say O'Keefe got lucky or anything like that, sometimes that's just the way the cards fall. It was nice to see Lyon finally get some reward at the end with the last 3 poles.

Yeah - not sure about that. I agree if you compare their non-wicket taking balls, Lyon probably looked more threatening and had more dangerous-looking deliveries. However, getting wickets is not about looking dangerous - it's about drawing an error from the batsman. A great looking delivery is not necessarily a wicket-taking one.

Look at when Australia had McGrath and Warne - Warne would bowl these spectacular ripping turners that got everyone up and cheering - Mcgrath would just bowl military medium, right length and line, minimal variation - and both got wickets.

Try Flintoff - at his best, one of the most deadly-looking bowlers around. Averaged less then 3 wickets per test, and took 3 5-fors in his career (70+ tests).

Look - sure, some days the batsmen get out to you - sometimes it's the guy at the other end. However, 12-4?, I think O'Keefe was better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back