Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Aiden Markram and Quinton De Kock will both be considered in the World All Time Best XI by the end of their respective careers.

How about we wait until Markram plays a Test against someone other than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, before anointing him as the second coming.

I'm gonna get attacked here but so be it
DRS should be binned, go back to umpires decision
In other sports umpires decision is final and it worked well for a hundred years or so
Yeah because no one ever complains about umpiring decisions in those other sports :rolleyes:

People need to go back and watch pre-DRS test cricket and see how many terrible decisions used to effect games and how much time was spent talking about those umpiring decisions. There seems to be this historical revisionism where everyone used to just accept poor umpiring decisions, that never happened, they used to dominate the talking points moreso then they do now.

I also dont buy into the "takes the excitement away" argument. I've been at the MCG the past 3 days and the most excited the crowd has been over the entire test match was when Warner was recalled after the no ball. A level of excitement that wouldn't have existed had it not been for DRS.

I also dont buy into the "takes the excitement away" argument. I've been at the MCG the past 3 days and the most excited the crowd has been over the entire test match was when Warner was recalled after the no ball. A level of excitement that wouldn't have existed had it not been for DRS.
Yeah this has always been confusing to me. Those times when they're checking for something is, apart from when someone's on 99* or on a hat-trick, probably the most lost in the game the crowd gets. Loads of people miss seeing a wicket because they turned their heads for a second but I don't think too many people are checking their phones when we're able to find out whether a wicket is gonna stand or not. I guess you could say it's 'artificial' but I never understood the "ruining the moment" thing. Admittedly it's really only Mark Taylor who goes on about that

People need to go back and watch pre-DRS test cricket and see how many terrible decisions used to effect games and how much time was spent talking about those umpiring decisions. There seems to be this historical revisionism where everyone used to just accept poor umpiring decisions, that never happened, they used to dominate the talking points moreso then they do now.

Good post.

Pre-DRS you'd see Rudi Koertzen blankly staring at a forlorn Mitchell Johnson who is wondering why the plumbest of plumb LBWs hasn't been given, and you'd see teams over appealing every ball that hit the pad. Now the shockers are overturned and with two reviews you can put up or shut up if you think the umpire got it wrong. The system isn't perfect but I reckon we're better for it.

How about we wait until Markram plays a Test against someone other than Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, before anointing him as the second coming.
That's why it's called the unpopular opinions thread my friend. I'm going off of what I've seen in domestic cricket, not just three tests. Possibly the most naturally talented and mentally sound batsman I've ever seen.

That is unpopular opinions, then there is straight delusional opinions.

Last edited:
They are though

Have not seen this.

Admittedly Australian citizens of Indian heritage stand out more in a crowd, and are identified as indian first. However sighting someone who is coloured white waving an england flag is generally assumed to be english.

Markram looks terrific and has temperament and composure far beyond his years. Seems pretty obvious and logical that he will play a heck of a lot of international cricket, but expectations of being an all time great this early in a career are always fraught with danger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warm, wet and humid in Adelaide?

Yes, for most of December. Lucky to go a week without rain or a random change most summers recently. Just yesterday I was wondering if I was living in Adelaide or Darwin, it was that sticky and disgusting.

You've obviously never lived here if you buy that "dryest state on the dryest continent" bullshit. The weather here is as bipolar and changeable as anywhere in Australia over the last 10-15 years.

Last edited:
Good post.

Pre-DRS you'd see Rudi Koertzen blankly staring at a forlorn Mitchell Johnson who is wondering why the plumbest of plumb LBWs hasn't been given, and you'd see teams over appealing every ball that hit the pad. Now the shockers are overturned and with two reviews you can put up or shut up if you think the umpire got it wrong. The system isn't perfect but I reckon we're better for it.

Or you see Harbhajan's hat trick. DRS would have changed that.

Yes, for most of December. Lucky to go a week without rain or a random change most summers recently. Just yesterday I was wondering if I was living in Adelaide or Darwin, it was that sticky and disgusting.

You've obviously never lived here if you buy that "dryest state on the dryest continent" bullshit. The weather here is as bipolar and changeable as anywhere in Australia over the last 10-15 years.

BOM data says otherwise.

BOM data says otherwise.

Well, my testimony comes from actually living here.

Ever noticed the same shitty, overcast, rainy, humid weather and rain breaks in just about every Adelaide Test? The weather flip-flops between that and sunshine from week to week pretty much all December.

Well, my testimony comes from actually living here.

Ever noticed the same shitty, overcast, rainy, humid weather and rain breaks in just about every Adelaide Test? The weather flip-flops between that and sunshine from week to week pretty much all December.

You can't win this.

Brisbane is essentially New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina year round and the Gabba is as modern and comfortable as the Coliseum.

Or Sangakkara getting caught behind just shy of 200 despite the ball clipping the helmet.

Just about the single most disappointing dismissal I can remember and the fact it gets brought up so often means others feel the same.

Was one hell of an innings and absolute joy to watch. To have it cut short by such a lame, appeal-influenced decision was gutting even if we would have had to have left for English class eventually :(

You sound like somebody trying to sell me a special potion at the market.

I'll stick to the research thanks my friend.
The data would probably be more relevant if climate was roughly the same now as 100 years ago; strangely, it seems to be changing ;)

Perth's average annual rainfall is one thing, how many times it has achieved it in the past 20 years is another.

The data would probably be more relevant if climate was roughly the same now as 100 years ago; strangely, it seems to be changing ;)

Perth's average annual rainfall is one thing, how many times it has achieved it in the past 20 years is another.

Annual average rainfall of 728mm, peak of 145mm in July.

Where does 100mm in one day in February fit in all this?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back