Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not the same as every other team. When was the last time Sri Lanka toured here? CA wants India and England coming here more just because they have more expats living here = more revenue obviously. Bring back the round robin odi format for variety. Having one team here for the summer makes for dull viewing.

2013. And they’re here this year as far as I know. So 5 years - same difference.

But hes in form for his state, put him in over some one whos actually in form for his country

He isn't really:

Sheffield Shield - 4 matches, 43.92 average, 75.50 strike rate, 3.49 economy rate
JLT Cup - 2 matches, 22.50 average, 29.75 strike rate, 4.53 economy rate
BBL - 5 matches, 69.00 average, 53.00 strike rate, 7.81 economy rate

We're basically basing Zampa's selection on "potential", past ODI/T20I form, and a couple of state games from October.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe Agar or even Swepson will get a look in

Why?

Their domestic limited-overs records aren't anything to crow about:

Domestic One-Dayers
Agar - 20 matches, 38.85 average, 45.65 strike rate, 5.11 economy rate
Swepson - 13 matches, 51.50 average, 54.10 strike rate, 5.71 conomy rate

Domestic T20s
Agar - 42 matches, 32.86 average, 27.36 strike rate, 7.20 economy rate
Swepson - 20 matches, 26.60 average, 21.60 strike rate, 7.39 economy rate

Selectors need to stop trying to be too clever, and just play Lyon in all formats FFS.

Why?

Their domestic limited-overs records aren't anything to crow about:

Domestic One-Dayers
Agar - 20 matches, 38.85 average, 45.65 strike rate, 5.11 economy rate
Swepson - 13 matches, 51.50 average, 54.10 strike rate, 5.71 conomy rate

Domestic T20s
Agar - 42 matches, 32.86 average, 27.36 strike rate, 7.20 economy rate
Swepson - 20 matches, 26.60 average, 21.60 strike rate, 7.39 economy rate

Selectors need to stop trying to be too clever, and just play Lyon in all formats FFS.
Stats don't always tell the whole story. Agar is clearly bowling better this year than in year's past. Lyon is probably the best bet but you don't ignore current form because stats say they weren't that good several years ago.

Oh but because he's a leg spinner, we have to keep giving him opportunities, because he'll morph into the next Shane Warne if we do, or something like that :rolleyes:
No. He's garbage because he has little control and can't seemingly restrict the flow of runs. You're not asking a spinner in ODIs to turn it big, you just want them to not go at 6 an over.

Then again the difference was Cummins haemorrhaging 34 runs in his last 2 overs.

It is time to stop selecting ordinary Victorian players in the national teams to pacify their parochial supporters. How players like White, Handscomb,Quiney, Holland, etc. have managed to be picked in national teams beggars belief.
Bit harsh on Handscomb but the others, yes

Instead of being part of channel 10's commentary team this week, Darren Lehmann should be devoting more time to putting his energy into avoiding a 5-0 series loss in the ODI's. Yes, the Ashes is the be all and end all of the home summer but being whitewashed in a home ODI series shouldn't be on the agenda either. I'd prefer to see the national coach devoting his time to that instead of commentating on a game of hit and giggle.

Last edited:
Zampa gets games due to lack of alternatives

Maybe Agar or even Swepson will get a look in

Gut feel is that as much as I wouldn't mind a look at Agar because I think he's improved in spades since his last international spurt I think Agar/Zampa would be close to a wash, Agar would be more economical but Zampa would take more wickets. As much as I like Swepson that shouldn't be an argument, Zampa's control is objectively far better as of right now, but I suspect that will change as Swepson gets older as his mechanics are better than Zampa's.

The 2 standout wristies in ODI cricket at the moment are Rashid and Tahir, stats since the 2015 world cup:
Rashid 52 matches, 80 wickets @ 30, ER 5.6
Tahir 43 matches, 68 wickets @ 30, ER 4.89
Zampa 29 matches, 41 wickets @33, ER 5.7

He's obviously a class below that but they're not exactly s**t numbers are they? The one thing I will say that I haven't seen anyone else point out is that I don't think we use him well enough or often enough. Morgan encourages Rashid to toss it up, use his variations and get wickets, Smith seems very content for Zampa to bowl flat into the wicket and concede 5 singles per over and he's left out all together in favour of a quick far too often for my liking.

I think he's got the ability to be better than those stats show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back