Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

De Kock is on pace to surpass both Kohli and AB in terms of ODI feats. The number of ODIs that SA play (a lot fewer than India) may hold him back though in terms of final totals. A big individual World Cup tournament or two, and even a big role in an elusive tournament win, will elevate him immensely.

Expanding the World Cup to include more associates wouldn't grow the game. The only countries missing out that would care are those that already have a strong cricket following like Nepal, and I suspect the pressure of competing in the WC would encourage Associate boards to rely on domestic players from Test nations to beef up their side ala USA in the Champions Trophy or the Netherlands in the past, which doesn't help the game in those countries longterm.

Expanding the World Cup to include more associates wouldn't grow the game. The only countries missing out that would care are those that already have a strong cricket following like Nepal, and I suspect the pressure of competing in the WC would encourage Associate boards to rely on domestic players from Test nations to beef up their side ala USA in the Champions Trophy or the Netherlands in the past, which doesn't help the game in those countries longterm.

2 test nations are going to miss the next world cup.

People who complain about the spectacle of ODI should be tied, hung upside down, and slapped til their faces are blue. Every knucklehead has complained about it on SEN in the past day.

Has been nothing boring about the series we just saw, good quality cricket.

It is always funny to open up a matchday thread of an ODI, read all the bitching and bleating from posters in first page or two about "who cares" and how ODI's are dead and noone watches, then to see the exact same posters proceed to continually post (usually with sufficient invective towards players/teams to suggest that they themselves do care of the outcome) right throughout the match and a 60page thread!

I want to still enjoy ODIs, but watched very little of the five games this year. It's no critique of their quality, but the 'meaninglessness' of the games is a valid point. The BBL has taken over in terms of interest for. I much prefer the old tri series format and am glad to see it being revived for the T20s. No idea why they can't do that most years with New Zealand being the third team.

The Chappell-Hadlee trophies during 2005-2007 were good fun too.

Not sure what it was, but they always had that extra feel to them. I guess it was big brutal Australia vs average neighbour NZ, who would always play above and beyond their ability for these matches. Close high scoring games back when 320 was huge, and chasing it down was a rarely seeb, amazing achievement. Craig McMillan used to completely annihilate us repeatedly despite being average for the most part.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Chappell-Hadlee trophies during 2005-2007 were good fun too.

Not sure what it was, but they always had that extra feel to them. I guess it was big brutal Australia vs average neighbour NZ, who would always play above and beyond their ability for these matches. Close high scoring games back when 320 was huge, and chasing it down was a rarely seeb, amazing achievement. Craig McMillan used to completely annihilate us repeatedly despite being average for the most part.

It was a very good build up for the 2007 world cup.

Yeah I don't think so much the Kiwis of that era played above their abilities, they had a some excellent one day cricketers.

But do agree, the Chappell Hadlee series is usually a good one and would like to see it back maybe every second summer. I guess now the T20 tri-series might be considered it's replacement though.

Warner should not be Australia's Vice Captain.

His behaviour has been a disgrace. From publically calling out his opening partner, to the shocking send off he gave De Villiers- and obviously his actions toward De Kock in the dressing room. How can he possibly be seen as somebody setting an example for younger players, both at national and state level.

Good batsman, terrible role model.

I think people are delicate flowers when it comes to cricket sledging.

It’s barely a drop in the ocean compared to what goes on in other sports, is it because it’s not a contact sport that people expect better? Or just people like whining when their team loses?

I think people are delicate flowers when it comes to cricket sledging.

It’s barely a drop in the ocean compared to what goes on in other sports, is it because it’s not a contact sport that people expect better? Or just people like whining when their team loses?

This bad thing is worse in other places therefore it's ok

This bad thing is worse in other places therefore it's ok

Played get disciplined, there is a match referee. I’d be more worried if it was ball tampering or spot betting.

I’m not saying they should let players act like campaigners and let them do and say what they like to each other. There is a system in place to police it, in this test if de kock and Warner aren’t going to say anything there isn’t much they can really do to punish them

Warner should not be Australia's Vice Captain.

His behaviour has been a disgrace. From publically calling out his opening partner, to the shocking send off he gave De Villiers- and obviously his actions toward De Kock in the dressing room. How can he possibly be seen as somebody setting an example for younger players, both at national and state level.

Good batsman, terrible role model.

I think you're taking his words about Bangers exceptionally out of context, he's been extremely supportive of him as evidenced by their chat.

While I also cringe at his antics, I don't see why that should stop him being vice captain.

I think you're taking his words about Bangers exceptionally out of context, he's been extremely supportive of him as evidenced by their chat.

While I also cringe at his antics, I don't see why that should stop him being vice captain.
Because in reality his tactical brain isn't great either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back