Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he give AB a send off or did he just let Markram know about it?

If I was in his position I would have been giving it to Markram for the next hours if he just torched their best bat

Don't understand the love some have for Steyn's on-field persona, reckon his hyperaggression just makes him come across as a cartoon character and he spat on a guy that one time.
Yeah, but he managed to be the second-worst actor in an Adam Sandler film, so he's not all bad.

This probably isn't unpopular so much as it is ignored. But I think PNG is a far more obvious candidate than the continuation of the CA XI.

My idea for domestic cricket would be add PNG, CA (renamed ACT) and a team from the NT (based at Traeger Park) to the OD cycle, and return that to regional cricket centres. For the Shield, add the ACT AND NT make it an 8-team competition, with no player movement during the season.. if there's enough cricketers for BBL, there's enough for FC cricket, and add PNG to the Futures League, which isn't quite first class level, but it's not far off.

And have the BBL either before or after the Test Series ;)

My idea for domestic cricket would be add PNG, CA (renamed ACT) and a team from the NT (based at Traeger Park) to the OD cycle, and return that to regional cricket centres. For the Shield, add the ACT AND NT make it an 8-team competition, with no player movement during the season.. if there's enough cricketers for BBL, there's enough for FC cricket, and add PNG to the Futures League, which isn't quite first class level, but it's not far off.

And have the BBL either before or after the Test Series ;)
BBL is a problem child for scheduling. No way CA will move it, but being in the middle of the season throws everything out.

Having ACT in the Shield, PNG in Futures League, and both in the ListA cup makes sense to me. I'm not sure about NT just yet, but ACT and immediate surrounds should be able produce players as well as Tas in the medium term. Imports would still be needed, but changing states is far more common now than the late 70s.

Mentioned it a while ago, but Australia should abandon a MCG Boxing Day Test one year and instead play one in South Africa.
Why would CA give up the Boxing Day test? It makes no sense, they earn way too much money off of it.

Mentioned it a while ago, but Australia should abandon a MCG Boxing Day Test one year and instead play one in South Africa.

In a perfectly fair world, yeah.

But like the AFL Grand Final situation, it's probably too big to be realistically changed now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All sledging to be banned. Players to keep quiet as they do in golf, tennis and mostly in baseball.

Have you watched or played baseball, sledging is common place. Even to the point were a pitcher will bean an opposition batter because of something said or an action done by the other team. This is an accepted practice in the game.

I like sledging in all sports it adds to the theatre.

Have you watched or played baseball, sledging is common place. Even to the point were a pitcher will bean an opposition batter because of something said or an action done by the other team. This is an accepted practice in the game.

I like sledging in all sports it adds to the theatre.

Not that common at all. It stems from rare ‘sledge’. For example a hitter flips his bat or celebrates a home run even slightly and the pitcher gets pissed off. He’ll hit him next time face each other. Or a teammate was hit last time they played.

Nowhere near as common as cricket. How many times has a pitcher mouthed off to the batter after a pitch like they do in cricket?

Not that common at all. It stems from rare ‘sledge’. For example a hitter flips his bat or celebrates a home run even slightly and the pitcher gets pissed off. He’ll hit him next time face each other. Or a teammate was hit last time they played.

Nowhere near as common as cricket. How many times has a pitcher mouthed off to the batter after a pitch like they do in cricket?

I think it’s apples and oranges. A bowler in cricket gets over after over at a batsman and the chat is part of the battle as it’s outcome begins to tilt one way or the other. In baseball you might pitch at a guy 10 times a night, give or take, and the time to build up that ‘anti-rapport’ for want of a better term, doesn’t exist.

I think it’s apples and oranges. A bowler in cricket gets over after over at a batsman and the chat is part of the battle as it’s outcome begins to tilt one way or the other. In baseball you might pitch at a guy 10 times a night, give or take, and the time to build up that ‘anti-rapport’ for want of a better term, doesn’t exist.
Incessant, non-stop chatter by the whole fielding team is universal in baseball, and always has been, at all levels. Much of it is directed at the batter's ability or immediate prospects. Most of it is inane, and just treated as background noise. Catchers routinely get in the batter's ear, often with some pretty effective sledging, pitchers not so much. Chat, and sledging, is commonplace between runners on base and the 1st/2nd/3rd basemen, and it goes both ways.
Cricket chat and sledging is penny ante, compared with baseball.

Disagree. Always lots of carry on in baseball and pitchers and fielders often pop off to batters and the oposing team. Given the dugouts are so close to each other lots of talk and abuse.

Incessant, non-stop chatter by the whole fielding team is universal in baseball, and always has been, at all levels. Much of it is directed at the batter's ability or immediate prospects. Most of it is inane, and just treated as background noise. Catchers routinely get in the batter's ear, often with some pretty effective sledging, pitchers not so much. Chat, and sledging, is commonplace between runners on base and the 1st/2nd/3rd basemen, and it goes both ways.

Spot on mate. One of the fun parts of playing the game

Most of the current Aussie players don't come across as particluarly bright. I can't really picture OLED Davey Warner coming up with a zinger that Winston Churchill would give a golf clap to.

The best classic sledges are about banter. 'Why are you so fat?' 'Coz every time I * your wife she gives me a biscuit' is gold. 'Hey you are fat, I bet you eat a lot of biscuits hur hur' isn't.

I'd love to know what really went down between Warner and De Kock but if it was something like 'I bet you piss sitting down mate' 'Tried to but Candice was in the stall again' then it would be funny.

According to CricInfo, this is 18-year-old Indian women's cricketer Pooja Vastrakar:

i

Surely that's a guy?

The haircut does no favours. I think she looks just feminine enough if you don’t factor in the haircut

The jawline, Adam's apple, vague shadow of a moustache and body frame were what I was judging by, before even getting to the haircut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back