Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. He's still a good player away from home, but my gripe is that he often gets regarded in the same breath as Smith, Kohli and Kane when he hasn't done enough to do so. And I've seen many English fans regarding him as the best batsman England has ever produced and he's not done enough in his career to be seen such imo.

Does he get a place in your England's all time XI?

He'd be close. A better away player than Pietersen just quietly.

He'd be close. A better away player than Pietersen just quietly.

Pietersen played one of the best ever innings played by a visiting player on a square turner in Mumbai and was one of the biggest reasons for England winning their historic series in India in 2012 (along with Cook, Swann and Panesar).

Not sure Root has ever played a knock of similar significance in his career away from home.

Pietersen played one of the best ever innings played by a visiting player on a square turner in Mumbai and was one of the biggest reasons for England winning their historic series in India in 2012 (along with Cook, Swann and Panesar).

Not sure Root has ever played a knock of similar significance in his career away from home.
To be fair to him that hundred he made in the 3rd test in Sri Lanka last year was absolute class. Ball was spinning square and he reverse swept the heck out of the bowlers.

Yep brilliant innings. Seems a bizarre way to compare players though. Anyhow, Root has just turned 28, he has plenty of time to play one.

Agreed. He's still a good player away from home, but my gripe is that he often gets regarded in the same breath as Smith, Kohli and Kane when he hasn't done enough to do so. And I've seen many English fans regarding him as the best batsman England has ever produced and he's not done enough in his career to be seen such imo.

Does he get a place in your England's all time XI?

When he had 13 centuries in 107 innings or so I thought he would be but he’s hit 2 in 34 since so it does drop him down a peg or two.
Hammond, Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Paynter, Compton, Edrich, May, Gower, Gooch, Pietersen, Cook - probably heals I’m missing off the top of my head - they’ve had some good ones. Not sure right now if I could squeeze him in.

That innings was amazing from KP.

To be fair to him that hundred he made in the 3rd test in Sri Lanka last year was absolute class. Ball was spinning square and he reverse swept the heck out of the bowlers.

Agreed. But I would still place that Pietersen knock higher because it came in a place where it's extremely difficult to win, certainly the toughest place to win in the world post millennium by far.

But yeah, that Root knock was pretty special too.

Agreed. But I would still place that Pietersen knock higher because it came in a place where it's extremely difficult to win, certainly the toughest place to win in the world post millennium by far.

But yeah, that Root knock was pretty special too.
Yea that's a fair call. Rooty badly needed that hundred too. Been so long since he scored one away from home. Pietersen was a gun bat but the bs that came out of his mouth was hilarious

England played amazing cricket that series. The absolute apex of their golden run during that ten year period from 04-14 when they were up there with the best performed sides in the world.

Their problem at that stage was that while they played some of the best cricket in the world in that period they were also capable of some of the worst. O6-07 Ashes, dropping a series in the West Indies among several highlights. SA lost only twice over the same period, both at home against australia, one of them in the last session of the series.

Carey will be a world class keeper batsmen in all 3 forms of the game for many years to come.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

He is 27 and averages 29 in first class cricket.
He is literally 18 months older than Quinton de Kock..... who averages 38 in TEST cricket and has a strike rate in the 70s (carey’s is low 50s in first class cricket).

What exactly is it that convinces you that Carey is going to become world class?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is 27 and averages 29 in first class cricket.
He is literally 18 months older than Quinton de Kock..... who averages 38 in TEST cricket and has a strike rate in the 70s (carey’s is low 50s in first class cricket).

What exactly is it that convinces you that Carey is going to become world class?
Because Carey has a nice smile and his mum reckons he can empty the dishwasher like no one's business. Omg did you guys see that farce of a finish to the thunder heat match? Someone's getting sacked over that

For now I can see worth in persisting with Carey despite results thus far in the shorter forms, there's a few better options for the test role.

A quick glance at cricinfo says Lyon has only played two twenty20 internationals. I thought he had played a few more than that. His economy rate is 9.6 rpo so maybe the selectors believe he's not economical enough. Even so, maybe he ought to have played a few more than 2.

I remember he got to bowl just one over in one of those T20Is, that went for 24. Surely he's worthy of being given more of a run.

T20 is arguably his best format (at least domestically), so it's puzzling why he hasn't played more T20Is.

I know it's not that important, I just like to see guys rewarded with international selection in the formats they're good in, ahead of the "potential" guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back