Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

The 1st test between Australia and Sri Lanka was hard to enjoy.

The 1st test of the marquee series of the summer must be played at the Gabba in spite of the ground's perceived issues.

The 1st test of the marquee series of the summer must be played at the Gabba in spite of the ground's perceived issues.

The Sri Lanka series definitely should've been first as a build into India. Now it's a case of no one really caring that much and winning not proving anything considering India thumped us.

What are the perceived issues with the Gabba?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There is no future to Tim Paine in the Test team. His keeping and batting are average. There is nothing in his (very long) history as a first class player that suggests he can ever been a top Test player. While he is Captain, Australia will be very mediocre at best.

Last edited:
There is no future to Tim Paine in the Test team. His keeping and batting are average. There is nothing in his (very long) history as a first class player that suggests he can ever been a top Test player. While he is Captain, Australia will be very mediocre at best.

Outside of wade, a breathtakingly ordinary keeper, who would you pick?

The Sri Lanka series definitely should've been first as a build into India. Now it's a case of no one really caring that much and winning not proving anything considering India thumped us.
Other countries have to schedule their series, too. We can't just unilaterally declare where and when everyone else gets to play.

Other countries have to schedule their series, too. We can't just unilaterally declare where and when everyone else gets to play.

Yeah I realise that but it would’ve made some sense for India to go to NZ before Sri Lanka and get all their ODIs in this part of the world out the way, play the tests then go home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His keeping has been fairly spotless and his rotation of the quicks has been spot on

Well I would have either of wade, handscomb or Carey ahead. Either of them would be an upgrade. I’d be surprised if Paine averages more than 20 in the Ashes.

How is Handscomb an upgrade?

Also Unpopular Cricket Opinion: NZ ODI team kind of sucks except for like 3 players

Well I would have either of wade, handscomb or Carey ahead. Either of them would be an upgrade. I’d be surprised if Paine averages more than 20 in the Ashes.

Carey with his first class average 4 runs lower than Paine’s that average?

The same Paine who averages over 40 in South Africa against a better one than what England can put on the park?
The same Handscomb who can’t get one off the square in test cricket?

The same Paine who averages over 40 in South Africa against a better one than what England can put on the park?
And the same handscomb who dropped 425 catches as keeper in away NZ odi series

Interesting that Paine and Ben Stokes average about 33.

Well it’s an unpopular opinion thread for a reason. I just think Paine is a waste of time if we ever want to get back to being dominant again.

Well duh. Paine is 34 and is really just here to steer a rudderless ship whilst we work out how to get out of our self imposed mess.

How is his keeping average? :/
How is his batting average? Has an average of 35 and stood up at times in the India series when no one else would.

There's no doubt he's a short term solution to provide leadership and class after everything went to s**t. That and no one is knocking down the door. Hopefully Carey lifts his game, Whiteman rediscovers his spark/stops getting injured or Phillipe comes on in the next couple of years.

I think Paine is a decent batsman, it’s just that he needs to be played lower down the order. He usually comes in if when :
1. Our top order has collapsed.
2. Australia only need a couple more runs to declare.
Thus, he never truly gets a chance to build an innings. I think he played really well in the UAE against Pakistan, when the series was on the line.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back