Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh by the way, during commentary the female (i dont know who it is, but guessing Lisa Sthalekar or Mel Jones) said this batter etc thing was driven by the players, and the media are coming around to it now.

She also instructed her colleagues that if they do say "batsman" don't stop and correct themselves, just let it go and move on, and next time try to use "batter"

Which players?

On the flip side, no one ever got bent out of shape when it was still called a bosie either. Barely anyone knows who bosenquet is so no one is going to care now. This is a little different as the proposed change is being mooted on the pretence of offence.
Seems like a bit of a straw man argument to me. I don't see anyone running around trying to ban the word 'batsman'.

Part of the beauty of the English language is that nobody owns it. People make their own decisions about what terms they wish to use, and water collectively finds its own level. Getting upset about a perfectly natural process that has been happening for millennia seems a bit bizarre.

Part of the beauty of the English language is that nobody owns it. People make their own decisions about what terms they wish to use, and water collectively finds its own level. Getting upset about a perfectly natural process that has been happening for millennia seems a bit bizarre.

Which is also suddenly insistent terminology ie.

She also instructed her colleagues that if they do say "batsman" don't stop and correct themselves, just let it go and move on, and next time try to use "batter"

is galling. What if her colleagues want to continue using batsman?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mike Whitney went to South Africa to see the place when he was offered a contract and when they tried to deny him entry to a beach because of a suspicion he might be coloured his mind was made up. Always loved Whit for that.

My former chief of staff was a NSW second XI stalwart for a long time, played heaps with Whit, Bayliss etc.

Told some classic stories about Whitney using the night tools

Trevor Hohns' involvement with the 1985 rebel tour of SA should have precluded his involvement in cricket administration.
It's hard to tell tone from text, but I think he comes across as a bit smug/smarmy about the affair here:
Still, he concedes to some naivety about the situation in South Africa. "It was of huge benefit to me, putting the political arguments aside. It was a cricketing decision. Everybody knew what was going on in South Africa. Maybe I was naive or what-have-you, but I thought maybe it might help South Africa get back into international cricket and as it turned out down the track, they did," Hohns says. "For me and Allan, it wasn't an issue because I wasn't part of that Australian side and hadn't been, so it probably didn't affect anybody greatly at that stage."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/rebels-the-85-south-africa-tour-20051210-ge1ekr.html

According to my quick maths skills he was over 30 in 1985 so I don't think naivety is really a reasonable excuse. Crediting the tours with bringing SA back into Test Cricket, and saying it didn't affect anyone because his getting banned didn't affect our Test team also isn't a good look.

Mike Whitney went to South Africa to see the place when he was offered a contract and when they tried to deny him entry to a beach because of a suspicion he might be coloured his mind was made up. Always loved Whit for that.

So until he was personally affected by racism it was sweet? Not having a go but seems a touch sheltered.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back