Unpopular Cricket Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't wait to see the shield season reduced to three games a year to accommodate a six month bbl season. That's what the fans want to see. Bring it on I'm keen to see a thousand games of no names bowling to second rate players

one word - GREED !

it started as 7 matches each (play everyone once), even when it was 8 (extra game as local derby, and to even out 4 home , 4 away for each team) was sufficient.

even prior to that , it started as the 6 states - but they had to split the vics and nsw sides into 2 and jazz it up with new colors and nicknames.

one wonders how far they are gonna take this - whats next ? 10/10?

I think you're getting a bit hysterical. The thing is that BBL draws big crowds and makes money, and that money can be used by CA to subsidise other forms of cricket and support player development if they do it properly. Also more young people will choose the cricket pathway into professional sports if they can foresee making a living out of it. It is a matter of getting the balance right, drawing more money into the game to improve all aspects of it. it is not like CA officials are all buying their own private jets and yachts from the profits of the T20 series.

Previously just about all domestic cricket ran at a loss and was propped up by the tests and ODI series.

Yeah, I'm still first and foremost a Test cricket devotee, but all in all T20 has been a big positive for the sport.

Even if in the future it becomes the dominant form of the game, that's still preferable to cricket withering and dying on the vine. I fear that was a possibilty if Tests remained the main drawcard of the sport, since they now have to compete in a global environment with every sporting league in the world easily accessible for kids.

And in a weird way this oversupply of domestic T20 now makes Tests stand out as being even more of a special event.

My prediction for the future in probably 20 years is that Test cricket will be very small and have what I call flagship Tests with for example in a summer 2 Tests against England and possibly 1 test against another country. There will probably be an 18-20 team BBL, 50 over cricket will be non existent and shield cricket will be a thing of the past. This is not what I want to happen. But commercial interests being what they are T20 cricket may well become the dominant form of the game

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My prediction for the future in probably 20 years is that Test cricket will be very small and have what I call flagship Tests with for example in a summer 2 Tests against England and possibly 1 test against another country. There will probably be an 18-20 team BBL, 50 over cricket will be non existent and shield cricket will be a thing of the past. This is not what I want to happen. But commercial interests being what they are T20 cricket may well become the dominant form of the game

I reckon the whole structure will change. There will be set periods for international matches, maybe one month in every three, interspersed with the T20 franchise tournaments. So it might be:

January/February: T20s in RSA, NZL, AUS
March: Tests/ODIs/ T20Is
April/May: T20s in IND, PAK, UAE
June: Tests/ODIs/ T20Is
July/Aug: T20s in ENG, WIN, USA
and so on....

Domestic comps will take place in the months leading up to each country's home series, so Australia would have tests in December and the FC season would be in the two months leading up to it.

OR

The T20s leagues will realise they are making their own product worse by trying to compete and there'll be a series of Super Leagues, similar to Super Rugby, with two sides from NZ, four or five from Australia and a few from South Africa.

CA and Channel 7 are helping Channel 10 look great. I have no doubt 10 would have done exactly as 7 has done, longer season etc. But now history will be very kind to them; crowds surge under their watch, wither under 7’s.

Last edited:
I reckon the whole structure will change. There will be set periods for international matches, maybe one month in every three, interspersed with the T20 franchise tournaments. So it might be:

January/February: T20s in RSA, NZL, AUS
March: Tests/ODIs/ T20Is
April/May: T20s in IND, PAK, UAE
June: Tests/ODIs/ T20Is
July/Aug: T20s in ENG, WIN, USA
and so on....

Domestic comps will take place in the months leading up to each country's home series, so Australia would have tests in December and the FC season would be in the two months leading up to it.

OR

The T20s leagues will realise they are making their own product worse by trying to compete and there'll be a series of Super Leagues, similar to Super Rugby, with two sides from NZ, four or five from Australia and a few from South Africa.

T20Is shouldn't have a place beyond tournaments and lead-ups.

CA and Channel 7 are helping Channel 10 look great. I have no doubt 10 would have done exactly was 7 has done, longer season etc. Butnow history will be very kind to them; crowds surge under their watch, wither under 7’s.
C7's coverage is just C10's coverage anyway. But I don't think C10 would have passed up showing games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights (plus force unusual start times for Sunday games) because they wanted to show a cooking show

C7's coverage is just C10's coverage anyway. But I don't think C10 would have passed up showing games on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday nights (plus force unusual start times for Sunday games) because they wanted to show a cooking show
I think the fact you can’t rely on BBL every night is a factor in declining interest. Putting random matches behind a paywall interrupts the flow. Then they don’t schedule games when ODIs are on, but they are behind a paywall too. This deal will damage CA; not critically, but they made a bad call.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if it’s unpopular or not, but you shouldn’t be able to score off leg byes

You have a bat for a reason

It hits your body - no run

Byes are ok as they are cockups purely of the fielding teams volition

Agree in principle but it gets difficult to score off balls down the leg side that are basically junk deliveries too wayward to actually hit so that kind of justifies them for me

I think the fact you can’t rely on BBL every night is a factor in declining interest. Putting random matches behind a paywall interrupts the flow. Then they don’t schedule games when ODIs are on, but they are behind a paywall too. This deal will damage CA; not critically, but they made a bad call.

100% spot on. It is a massive issue that is too easily ignored. All the analysis says TV viewing is a habit.

Last edited:
Agree in principle but it gets difficult to score off balls down the leg side that are basically junk deliveries too wayward to actually hit so that kind of justifies them for me

Defensive bowling down leg side is a wide nowadays

But the idea that someone misses a leg stump half volley and still gets 4 runs for it hitting their pad and running to the boundary is absurd imo

Defensive bowling down leg side is a wide nowadays

But the idea that someone misses a leg stump half volley and still gets 4 runs for it hitting their pad and running to the boundary is absurd imo

You miss a leg stump half volley and you're (mostly) back in the sheds.

95% of leg byes are from rubbish deliveries down the leg side, the rule is fine.

100% spot on. It is a massive issue that is too easily ignored. All the analysis says TV viewing i a habit.

I've fallen out of the habit of watching it. Think I've watched one game over the last 2 weeks. Thought I'd watch one through the week this week but checked the guide on not on 7. Funnily enough the Tests during the day serve as a good lead in for me - checking the guide again and tonight's match is on 7 but doesn't start until 8:30? In Brisbane (so 7:30 local)? So probably won't worry. Been crook so unlikely to still be awake at midnight.

In December I seek it out
I love the full days of cricket backing up Tests into BBL during boxing day and new years tests.
Then, as the barrage advertising for that year's reality show du jour takes its toll and the working year finds its rhythm, I fall out of the habit. Sporadic telecast scheduling sure helps that process.

You know the BBL season has gone on too long when last nights game was 10,000 compared to the previous Renegades game was 21,000

Hardly surprising that the crowds dropped when the target audience went back to school. Just another example of CA incompetence.

BBL being entirely on Fox (as it was for one season a few years ago) would be a disaster for CA. It's popular and the games are played during prime time. Even though it's slightly on the nose at the minute it's a ratings winner. People follow tests but there's only so much advertising mileage you can get out of something that starts at 10.30am on a Thursday.

The future of sports broadcasting lies with non traditional broadcasters anyway. Facebook, YouTube, Google etc. can target advertising much more effectively than Channel 7, 9 or 10 can and will leverage that.

Hardly surprising that the crowds dropped when the target audience went back to school. Just another example of CA incompetence.
They can still have a full home and away BBL season, they just need to schedule it better. Having to miss nights because of ODIs and day night tests is just stupid.

Warner and Smith bans were an overreaction. We should have just let the ICC deal with them. Here we are now already talking about rushing them BOTH back in when at the time a good chunk of people were calling for life bans. * that. They did a dodgy thing were caught and suspended for 2 games (?) by the ICC before the general public played the somewhat arrogant "Aussies expect better" card.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back