Opinion Unpopular Footy Medalists/award winners

Remove this Banner Ad

CrowFan77

Senior List
Jun 27, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
At the end of every AFL season a number of medals are presented. IMHO there have been a number of undeserving medalists over the years. Here are my thoughts:

- 2017 Premiership Medals - Cotchin and Ellis - both should have been suspended for the GF - not that it would have made a difference to the result! We sacked!

- 2017 Norm Smith Medal - Dusty was good but Bachar Houli was BOG by a mile.

- 2014 Norm Smith - Will Langford dominated the game - Fatty Hodge didn't deserve the medal.

- 2012 Brownlow - Cotchin and Mitchell - consolation prize after Jobe was stripped of the medal. Should have been awarded to Scott Thompson.

- 2008 Brownlow - Adam Cooney - second worst Brownlow Medalist ever.

- 2000 Brownlow - Shane Woewoedin - do I really need to justify this one?

Who are other candidates?

didnt mind the list but Woey deserved the Brownlow. Was his career brownlow worthy? absolutely not.

But was his 2000 worthy of the Brownlow? Yes, was the best player in the second best team, its not the 1001-1 longshot that Carlton supporters seem to remember. He had a cracking first 6-7 weeks and this went a long way to him winning the Brownlow

- 2012 Brownlow - Cotchin and Mitchell - consolation prize after Jobe was stripped of the medal. Should have been awarded to Scott Thompson.

This did prompt me to have a look at another way to count the brownlow votes in light of Jobe's disqualification. In games where Jobe was awarded 3 or 2 votes, whoever got the 2 or 1 vote in that game is awarded the extra vote. There's no reasonable way for me to assume who should have gotten the 1 vote as the Umpires don't award a 4th best player on ground. (Note that there are other flaws to this but this is just for interests' sake.)

26 votes - Mitchell, Sam
26 votes - Cotchin, Trent
25 votes - Swan, Dane
25 votes - Thompson, Scott
24 votes - Ablett, Gary
24 votes - Dangerfield, Patrick (+1)
19 votes - Kennedy, Josh
19 votes - Beams, Dayne
19 votes - Hayes, Lenny
16 votes - Pavlich, Matthew (+1)
16 votes - Stanton, Brent (+2)
15 votes - Selwood, Scott
15 votes - Pendlebury, Scott
15 votes - Jack, Kieren
14 votes - Fyfe, Nat
14 votes - Selwood, Joel
14 votes - Jones, Nathan
13 votes - Deledio, Brett
13 votes - Sewell, Brad
12 votes - Judd, Chris
12 votes - Mundy, David
12 votes - Franklin, Lance
12 votes - Kelly, James
12 votes - Hannebery, Dan
12 votes - Sloane, Rory (+1)
11 votes - Murphy, Marc
11 votes - Griffen, Ryan
11 votes - Shuey, Luke
11 votes - Grigg, Shaun
11 votes - OKeefe, Ryan
10 votes - Hawkins, Tom
10 votes - Swallow, Andrew
10 votes - Boyd, Matthew
10 votes - Naitanui, Nic
10 votes - McLean, Brock
10 votes - Bolton, Jude
10 votes - Tuck, Shane
10 votes - Dal Santo, Nick

(Below I have just included the changes otherwise this list would be massive)

6 votes - Hurley, Michael (+2)
5 votes - Bellchambers, Tom (+1)
4 votes - Heppell, Dyson (+1)
4 votes - Crameri, Stewart (+2)
3 votes - Cassisi, Domenic (+1)
2 votes - Fletcher, Dustin (+1)
2 votes - Hocking, Heath (+1)
2 votes - Nicholson, Daniel (+1)
2 votes - Ryder, Paddy (+1)

2002 Norm Smith should have gone to Michael Voss, the panel voted too soon, Bucks didn't want it anyway.

One of the biggest loads of rubbish imaginable. Buckley had more kicks, more disposals, more contested possessions, more clearances, a far greater efficiency, less clangers, more 1 percenters and more goal assists. Buckley almost single handedly dragged one of the worst midfields over the line on his own back. Voss was running around with Black, Power, Lappin, Akermanis, Ashcroft etc etc.When Buckley and Voss were matched up to each other in the third Buckley tore him apart. Matthews screamed through the headset ‘For Gods sake get Voss off Buckley, he is slaughtering him’. Voss was instantly dragged from Buckley. Buckley was clearly the best player on the ground but unfortunately Buckley and Collingwood hatred take over logic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss last quarter was better than anything No Flags did for the game
Please provide the comparative stats for the last quarter. I know them so please please put them up. And why would you bring up Matthew Richardson? He is nothing to do with this thread.

This did prompt me to have a look at another way to count the brownlow votes in light of Jobe's disqualification. In games where Jobe was awarded 3 or 2 votes, whoever got the 2 or 1 vote in that game is awarded the extra vote. There's no reasonable way for me to assume who should have gotten the 1 vote as the Umpires don't award a 4th best player on ground. (Note that there are other flaws to this but this is just for interests' sake.)

(Below I have just included the changes otherwise this list would be massive)

6 votes - Hurley, Michael (+2)
5 votes - Bellchambers, Tom (+1)
4 votes - Heppell, Dyson (+1)
4 votes - Crameri, Stewart (+2)
3 votes - Cassisi, Domenic (+1)
2 votes - Fletcher, Dustin (+1)
2 votes - Hocking, Heath (+1)
2 votes - Nicholson, Daniel (+1)
2 votes - Ryder, Paddy (+1)
Well, all those players except Nicholson were disqualified as well...

Yep. Hence, why I stated that Scott Thompson is the rightful winner. BOG by a mile in Adl v Ess 2012 - if you take out the disqualified Bombers. +3 votes for Thompson gives him the win outright. Note: Cotchin and Mitchell already scored max voted v Ess, and so their scores remain unaffected.
Both Dangerfield and Sloane got votes over Thompson in that game, and anyway by that logic, Trent Cotchin would have got votes in the 2012 Dreamtime game with 29 disposals and 3 goals, and wins the Brownlow outright

And you've seen how many of them? anyway I see it this way ever since Dan Minouge left the sinking ship Collingwood for the greener grass of Richmond it's 13 vs 10

Not even close yet Captain Magpie. Come lift your game. You can do better. I guess that happens when you haven’t beaten us in a final for 41 years. I guess it also happens when we lead you in head to head games and Grand Finals against each other. 4-2 isn’t it. You just can’t get it done against us. It’s ok Captain Magpie, we can see where your pain is coming from.

At the end of every AFL season a number of medals are presented. IMHO there have been a number of undeserving medalists over the years. Here are my thoughts:

- 2017 Premiership Medals - Cotchin and Ellis - both should have been suspended for the GF - not that it would have made a difference to the result! We sacked!

- 2017 Norm Smith Medal - Dusty was good but Bachar Houli was BOG by a mile.

- 2014 Norm Smith - Will Langford dominated the game - Fatty Hodge didn't deserve the medal.

- 2008 Brownlow - Adam Cooney - second worst Brownlow Medalist ever.

- 2000 Brownlow - Shane Woewoedin - do I really need to justify this one?

Who are other candidates?
I suggest you rewatch the 2017 Grand final. Martin was huge around the ball all day. Houli was strong early, but like Rance didn't have to do alot in the 2nd half to really stand out.

Only reason not to give Dusty the award is tall poppy syndrome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back