iameviljez

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2004
Dili, Timor-Leste
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pompey
Yeah my brother in law is a very good guitarist but finds Knoffler's style impossible.
It's because (guitarist here) he finger-picks the strings, which is really really rare for rock guitar. It means totally different right hand movements - because you then use your fingers (individually) to play each string, as opposed to the thumb and the wrist which really dominates when using a pick. It also means that me can switch between strings very, very, very rapidly.

timtamWB

Resident Biscuit
Jun 3, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
An opinion only those too shallow of the mind or who lack any understanding of what can be considered art hold that belief.

It's fine to not like it, but only idiots say they aren't talented.
He said that heavy metal is MORE than noise. And said that metal musicians are talented. Maybe read it again.

Blackhawk42

Premiership Player
Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Taylor Swift is an absolutely bog average singer and it was a huge mistake to feature Brandon Urie on her trash new single, because that guy is an absolute beast and he makes her look completely second rate.

If you're artist name starts with 'lil' then you automatically suck. It wasn't cool when Lil'Bow Wow did it and it isn't cool now.

Mainstream music has never been worse (this might not be so unpopular). Recently found a playlist of hits I made in 2008 (one that was mostly top 10 songs form that year at some point). There was a proper spread of genres and it didn't all sound like it was produced by the same person. Whether the best songs from that year are better than the best ones from now isn't the argument, it's the spread throughout a mix of over 50 songs that highlights the greater depth in diversity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roobs321

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Sydney Swans GWS CBR United
Yeah I've never understood the Taylor Swift thing. She is the only long-running pop star who has never appealed to me or produced a respectable banger. Virtually every other maligned figure has done this at some point, but I don't give a crap about any of her output. Her success puzzles me.

2009-10 was certainly a dip in chart singles, when that crappy club thing was totally dominant. 2012 was also putrid, and 2019 has been very weak as well.

DaRick

Premiership Player
Jan 12, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
(See avatar)
Yeah I've never understood the Taylor Swift thing. She is the only long-running pop star who has never appealed to me or produced a respectable banger. Virtually every other maligned figure has done this at some point, but I don't give a crap about any of her output. Her success puzzles me.

2009-10 was certainly a dip in chart singles, when that crappy club thing was totally dominant. 2012 was also putrid, and 2019 has been very weak as well.
I guess she's easily marketable.

Plus the mainstream don't always have good tastes.

Top Bottom