Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

mr bagcroft

Premiership Player
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not disagreeing with you right to not like them but Cobain’s ability write a melody was nothing short of amazing.I think too often when we assess musicians we overlook the vocal structure of their songs. Not the quality of his voice - it’s very polarising - but the tune his voice is actually singing. In Bloom is one of the best melodies of any song I’ve ever heard

His guitar work while far from being Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore, was actually very good for such a homespun guitarist, and novolselic’s bass lines bounced off it perfectly.

I don’t really know what separates Eddie vedder’s songwriting from Cobain’s - I like Eddie Vedder too but they wrote about different things and I don’t see one as being more meritorious than the other.

Watch some of Rick Beato’s videos about nirvana and peel back some of the layers as they’re dissected by an expert. I think you’ll be surprised at some of the complexities.
Still agree with Phatboy though, as much as I quite like Nirvana, Pearl Jam were leagues ahead. In quality and variety of songs and varying and interesting melody within. Not even a close one.

CrowsB4hoes

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not disagreeing with you right to not like them but Cobain’s ability write a melody was nothing short of amazing.I think too often when we assess musicians we overlook the vocal structure of their songs. Not the quality of his voice - it’s very polarising - but the tune his voice is actually singing. In Bloom is one of the best melodies of any song I’ve ever heard

His guitar work while far from being Eric Johnson or Ritchie Blackmore, was actually very good for such a homespun guitarist, and novolselic’s bass lines bounced off it perfectly.

I don’t really know what separates Eddie vedder’s songwriting from Cobain’s - I like Eddie Vedder too but they wrote about different things and I don’t see one as being more meritorious than the other.

Watch some of Rick Beato’s videos about nirvana and peel back some of the layers as they’re dissected by an expert. I think you’ll be surprised at some of the complexities.
I agree, but have you seen his videos on Black and Jeremy? Jeremy especially, its like a symphony. An unbelievable song.

HeathComeBack

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Eddie Vedder oversings everything like the dude from Creed does so i think they are very similar (not in a good way)
Nirvana just kills them, but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?

JackOutback

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Eddie Vedder inspired a generation of singers seeking to mimic his voice. I don't think he oversings myself, think he has one of the best voices in rock.

If Cobain hadn't died, they probably would have faded from the mainstream like Pearl Jam, but wouldn't have handled it as well. Would have broken up, I reckon, so Foo Fighters still a likelihood. Grohl was too talented and driven to remain a drummer.

Mesc

Ayahuasquero
Mar 30, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Freo
Eddie Vedder inspired a generation of singers seeking to mimic his voice. I don't think he oversings myself, think he has one of the best voices in rock.

If Cobain hadn't died, they probably would have faded from the mainstream like Pearl Jam, but wouldn't have handled it as well. Would have broken up, I reckon, so Foo Fighters still a likelihood. Grohl was too talented and driven to remain a drummer.
Agreed . Amazing voice.

revo333

Premiership Player
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?
He would of been another Axl Rose, I doubt he would of recorded another album or maybe just spent the next 15 years recording a new one like Axl did.

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
He would of been another Axl Rose, I doubt he would of recorded another album or maybe just spent the next 15 years recording a new one like Axl did.
Ironic as he hated Axl. Axl quite liked Nirvana and Kurt but Kurt gave him donuts whenever Axl wanted to help them out early before they got massive.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

edgie

Hall of Famer
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Eddie Vedder oversings everything like the dude from Creed does so i think they are very similar (not in a good way)
Nirvana just kills them, but i wonder what would have happened if Kurt Cobain lived. Would Foo Fighters have existed? would Nirvana become irrelevant like U2 are now?
Unpopular opinion, I haven't really listened to U2 since the Vertigo album with the silly long name, but when what I do hear, their recent albums could be alright based on the singles.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

CrowsB4hoes

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ten Vedder yes, but since then his voice has changed significantly.

Remove this Banner Ad