Unpopular Musical Opinions

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Jump has aged surprisingly well with me. In my VH phase it was really just one of many hits from them, but I nowadays find that I'm always in the mood for it whereas my other faves from them have long fluctuated (except the evergreen Love Walks In which always had its particular place for me).
Jump is good but more radio friendly because of the keyboard added.
Their best stuff is stuff like Unchained, Panama, Mean Street etc etc.
Got lots of great songs. Jump is just one the casual listeners know.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Totally agree with American Pie and Eye Of The Tiger.
I quite like the Beach Boys, although their output was a little inconsistent.
I've never heard a Kanye West song, at least I think that's the case, it may have appeared in a commercial or something, but how would I know.
Eye of Tiger is awesome as just makes you think of 1982 instantly and what you were doing then.
Either watching a Rocky Movie at cinema or Carlton doing Richmond in the grand final in crowd of about 115,000. Awesome times growing up experience going to movies and footy without parents for first time.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Back to Kiss, I only just discovered A e Frehleys cover of New York Groove and it’s amazing. Why wasn’t this a bigger song.

Just seeing picture of Kiss makes me not want to press to listen.
Probably first band I remember thinking why are people obsessed with them. I so hated songs likes Shandi or whatever bullshit that was out at time that was popular. Must have been a bad year for hits in general.

Last edited:

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I quite like the Beach Boys, although their output was a little inconsistent.

I think that would be a pretty popular opinion.

I listened to 'Brian Wilson Presents Smile' 2004 release and that hooked me more than 'Pet Sounds' did.

patterns

Rookie
Dec 31, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree to a certain extent, The problem with radio is some stations don't tell you the songs that have just been played and often I have heard a song I really liked and then tried to remember the lyrics or go to the stations website for a playlist, only to never find out what the song was and never ever getting to hear it again.
This bothers me as well sometimes.

But between texting the station, playlists online, or just remembering parts of the lyrics and doing a search, you should be able to find any track if the host doesnt give you all the details.

This bothers me as well sometimes.

But between texting the station, playlists online, or just remembering parts of the lyrics and doing a search, you should be able to find any track if the host doesnt give you all the details.

Shazam is your friend…

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
The kind of music we like is actually a pretty reliable reflection of how we think, feel, and our personalities. The younger male music enthusiast hates the Beatles, which is weird, because we wouldn't be having this conversation without their existence? It irks them. Anyone growing up in the past 20 years is quite envious of the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s as all the good bands have come and gone, they released an album a year and played all over the world. It just doesn't happen anymore.
So, blame the Beatles! This is done before anyone starts talking about why pop music is worse now than it's ever been? The male music enthusiast of today really wanted to be 15 in 1975? 25 in 1985 and still young enough in the early 90s to like Nirvana, The Pixies, and go to a Big Day Out! What have they got today? A deep bitterness toward the golden age of music.

Some people like the deep and meaningful lyrics, i don't particularly! Dumb rock lyrics are the best!

Then you have the music nerd who likes picking apart the fine details, which is why prog rock fans are so insufferable. I like early Genesis, Tull and the space rock of early Hawkwind. The nerds hated Hawkwind, they preferred the Floyd "man" Then i discovered the Ramones!

It's very difficult for teenagers these days, when i was a kid everything you said, did or liked by age 18 was stuck with you forever, because you were not much younger than those you worshiped as rock gods anyway. It's what makes you..you and not your old man! You can relate to someone singing to you who is only a few years older and fortunately, we mature and they were replaced with a new batch of heroes often. You still have those magnificent memories of that time you saw your favourite band before they were big in some pub somewhere?

When the Beatles hit big in 1964 with Beatlemania and performed on The Ed Sullivan Show in the USA , Bruce Springsteen, Stevie Wonder, Elton John, Members of Kiss, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Aerosmith and Billy Joel were all age 14 -17 yrs old, presumably watching it all on TV no matter where they lived?

Like it or not, your musical tastes are locked in early; if this is what you were raised on, it's what you'll keep looking for the rest of your life, anything outside of that narrow range of sounds seems weird or wrong and you don't like it. The smarter ones do of course.

Last edited:

ringo200

Club Legend
Jul 22, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Diorama doesn’t sound anything like Frogstomp though. They still use distortion in parts I guess? But they’d starting using it much more constructively.

Reckon adding that layer of distortion in Miss You Love (on Neon Ballroom) is probably the most tasteful and best example of them managing to integrate buzzy guitars into their increasingly baroque sound.

Young Modern to me just stretched their experimentation too far, and was pretty bland because of it. I know Daniel Johns is now working with Luke Steele in Dreams, and they’ve largely taken the spirit of YM but made music that’s more dancey and beat-oriented and it sounds awful to my ears.

Still reckon Silverchairs peak was either Diorama or Neon Ballroom.

The Dissociatives album was as good as anything Silverchair put out

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
(For an Australian)

Alice in Chains is the best of the Big Four grunge bands, with Nirvana a close second.

Of course, this is a matter of taste, but here's why I prefer them over the other four:
- Heaviness (really a heavy metal band which appropriated elements of hair metal and grunge to create something terrific)
- Songwriting (they rarely wasted a note, especially after the relatively uneven Facelift)
- Jerry Cantrell (his vocal harmonics with Staley gave Alice in Chains both a pop sensibility while infusing their music with an unnerving haunting quality that reflected the dark nature of the music underpinning it, not to mention that he was a master of conjuring creative riffs while using the fewest notes possible - he's just an OK lead vocalist, though)
- Layne Staley (probably only the 3rd best grunge vocalist, but he is nonetheless real good. His screams in Man In The Box send that song into another stratosphere, his plaintive cries on Nutshell turn that song from an emo song into a documentation of an ongoing personal tragedy, and his baritone burr just adds to the dark, heavy, haunting nature of the music)

Their rhythm section was good, but not the standout. Inez/Starr could hold their own, but Jeff Ament (Pearl Jam) and Ben Shepherd (Soungarden) were IMO better. Sean Kinney could certainly hold a beat, but he's well behind Grohl/Cameron, and probably on par with someone like Jack Irons.

Nirvana are great, and obviously I can't begrudge people preferring them - but as good as their songwriting and lyrics were (when Cobain was interested), technically (Grohl aside) they weren't much to write home about. I feel that he was a negative influence as a guitarist, because he has inspired a generation or two of largely talentless power chord merchants.

As for the others in the Big Four, quoting one of my old posts:

Stone Temple Pilots were sometimes included. Scott Weiland was a talented, versatile vocalist with impressive power and range (if not originality) - I'd rank him well ahead of Cobain but probably behind Staley. Their guitarist and drummer were decent, but not outstanding. The drummer IMO isn't as good as the Big 4 drummers, and technically I'd place their guitarist behind everyone except Cobain (who wins on influence anyway).

This is fair but Kurt while not a virtuoso guitarist, had a gift for melody and chord progressions that i don’t think any other musician in the time since he was active has gotten close to

Aug 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
This is fair but Kurt while not a virtuoso guitarist, had a gift for melody and chord progressions that i don’t think any other musician in the time since he was active has gotten close to

Kurt was an ok guitar player but a great songwriter. No need for him to play like John Petrucci, as long as he could play what he wrote that's all that matters.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Kurt was an ok guitar player but a great songwriter. No need for him to play like John Petrucci, as long as he could play what he wrote that's all that matters.

Absolutely. I was listening to On A Plain today and just listening to his chord progression and it shouldn’t make as much sense as it does. So many of his songs have a melodic hook that sticks in the memory, he was a bit like a less refined Bowie in that he would take the music of a song in a direction that it logically shouldn’t go but it would fit his always catchy melody line perfectly

Back