Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair, Grohl got less edgy as he got older. Not unexpected when you are rich, successful and satisfied. The first two albums are classics that stand up against Nirvana and there’s still some quality stuff in later albums. Last couple of albums have fallen away but it has been 25 years.

He describes the grunge scene in the late 80's early 90's as a culture where musicians would go from club to club each night for months on end and get inspiration from other bands. Its no mistake that that era spawned a plethora of some of the greatest bands in music history. It all ended at the turn of the century unfortunately.

He also wrote a majority of the songs off the first Foo Fighters album while in Nirvana, they were supposed to be Nirvana songs.

Last edited:
Sadly, as even conceded by Daltrey years later, aside his struggles with alcohol/drugs, it's highly likely Moon was also an undiagnosed Sociopath...

View attachment 1259038
Or at the very least most likely undiagnosed bipolar.
Oh, does the book includes this one..?
New York City, 1976. Keith Moon pays nine taxi drivers $100 each to block the hotel’s front street and ensure the safety of pedestrians while destroying the room in which he was staying. Moon then threw everything he could out the window from his 12th floor suite. I'm pretty sure this was hotel.
Doesn't have that one either. The problem would have been there are literally hundreds of stories that Butler had to choose from. He went with ones that were either his favourites or those that affected him the most.

One interesting aspect of the book is that most of the stories included happened away from the rest of the band. They're present on occasion, but all of the mayhem described in the book was perpetrated by Moon alone.

This is the original book that is extremely difficult to find:
511296 (1).jpg

But there seems to be another version under a different title which I was unaware of:
51iue47vcul-_sx373_bo1204203200_.jpg

He describes the grunge scene in the late 80's early 90's as a culture where musicians would go from club to club each night for months on end and get inspiration from other bands. Its no mistake that that era spawned a plethora of some of the greatest bands in music history. It all ended at the turn of the century unfortunately.

He also wrote a majority of the songs off the first Foo Fighters album while in Nirvana, they were supposed to be Nirvana songs.
I think I remember reading that Marigold as a B-side was the only Nirvana song not predominantly written by Kurt and certainly the only song not sung by Kurt. He pitched some others, like February Stars, but they weren't released.

Kurt wanted to seem like a cool rebel guy who didn't care about image and was only there for music, but he stage managed Nirvana very very thoroughly. It wasn't all a natural organic thing.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Kurt wanted to seem like a cool rebel guy who didn't care about image and was only there for music, but he stage managed Nirvana very very thoroughly. It wasn't all a natural organic thing.

All he wanted to do was drugs, he knew early on he was going to die young. He used Nirvana as a vehicle of self expression and self destruction.

I just think Nirvana fell into a rhythm and they always functioned with Kurt as the songwriter and Dave and Kris adding their parts to compliment his ideas. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Kurt was the star though, and they trusted his instincts.

Dave did write the guitar intro to Scentless Apprentice which fit the general In Utero vibe.

By and large though his songs didn’t fit as Nirvana tracks. He was way more interested in melody, finding workable chord shapes that’d fit in with the kind of music he was writing and he didn’t want his stuff to be obscure.

Last edited:
In the Aeroplane over the Sea is one of my favourite albums of all time but NMH are one of those bands that have been retrospectively picked up by hipsters. The same thing has happened to The Doors.

I’m sure they were picked up by hipsters at the time too!

I listened to it the other day actually after a fairly big absence and it holds up really well. One of those LP’s where 3 or 4 elite songs drag the rest of the album over the line as a bonafide classic.

Two-Headed Boy is always a lot of fun to play on guitar.

Weezer's "Butterfly" is a sappy and anti-climactic end to Pinkerton.

(*ducks*)

Can definitely get around this opinion.

Seemed like a 90’s trend to have a final song - like 4 minutes long, another 4 minutes of silence and then integrate a secret acoustic song at the end.

Butterfly seems like exactly that, but it’s a standalone track.

The thing is - Pinkerton is such a bombastic and weird album they could have ended in a hundred different ways, and they chose the worst one. They also had about a hundred b-sides and demos they could have used.

Came across this the other day. Shows the kind of form Rivers was in at the time, even if the recorded version was radically different.

Unbelievable songwriter. His lyrics are really nice, but his ear for melodies, and the way he’d play these clashing riffs to temporarily mess the songs up was awesome.

Devotion was another deep cut that really should have been dumped in at some point in that album.

I've never even listened to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot all the way through before, but 'I am trying to break your heart' is one of the greatest album openers going around.

YHF is one of those LP’s that is immediately enjoyable and easy to listen to, but gets 5% better every year until it becomes one of your favourites.

It’s the Ollie Wines of albums.

I just think Nirvana fell into a rhythm and they always functioned with Kurt as the songwriter and Dave and Kris adding their parts to compliment his ideas. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Kurt was the star though, and they trusted his instincts.

Dave did write the guitar intro to Scentless Apprentice which fit the general In Utero vibe.

By and large though his songs didn’t fit as Nirvana tracks. He was way more interested in melody, finding workable chord shapes that’d fit in with the kind of music he was writing and he didn’t want his stuff to be obscure.

Kurt was a master of melody. If you listen to the orchestral adaptations of his songs it really shows how much of a genius he was. On A Plain is something else.

All he wanted to do was drugs, he knew early on he was going to die young. He used Nirvana as a vehicle of self expression and self destruction.

Kurt Cobain was an undiagnosed manic depressive. He often spoke of suicide in public interviews, which most simply interpreted as artistic disillusionment with the world around him. He was also a hypochondriac, his ongoing 'stomach issues' were medically largely a mystery.
A month before his death he had an episode in Europe where he nearly died, due to what was deemed an 'accidental overdose' on prescription drugs. How the hell do you 'accidently' pop 50 pills individually out of blister packets and take them..?

In summary, a tragic existence specifically for such a young and talented person - ala Amy Winehouse...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked Adele, but is she milking a barren beast now? I don’t believe she is capable of growing as an artist
I really struggle with her. A neighbor was audibly watching the special last night and her vocal style and approach is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Rolling in the Deep was a decent hit, but outside that, eh, I just can't care about any of it, and I like soul.

I really struggle with her. A neighbor was audibly watching the special last night and her vocal style and approach is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Rolling in the Deep was a decent hit, but outside that, eh, I just can't care about any of it, and I like soul.

‘it’s worth the reesk!
I don’t get face pulling like it’s an enema from vocalists generally. My all time favourite Debbie Harry managed to knock out a few good songs without the face pulling. That video where there's a’ duet’ on 'heart of glass'with Miley Cyrus…..TORTURE

Last edited:
Me too. Which is probably why she doesn't do anything for me. She can sing but she's not the singer she's made out to be.

And the way people gush over her. Imagine if she was as good a singer as Presley, Cooke or Franklin.

I like some of Adele's stuff, that big gutsy powerballad, but her newest song is neither big not gutsy nor powerful. Dare I say she's hasn't got it in her anymore since losing weight?

Last edited:
Rolling into Deep is a good song but the rest of her music sounds the same to me and she's not growing as an artist. How many times does she have to sing about her break-ups

I struggled to watch the Oprah special, seems like she's more interested in fame and becoming friends with A list celebrities.

Rolling into Deep is a good song but the rest of her music sounds the same to me and she's not growing as an artist. How many times does she have to sing about her break-ups

I struggled to watch the Oprah special, seems like she's more interested in fame and becoming friends with A list celebrities.
Spot on Jack.

I like some of Adele's stuff, that big gutsy powerballad, but her newest song is neither big not gutsy nor powerful. Dare I say she's hasn't got it in her anymore since losing weight?

A few years, Adele underwent vocal surgery not sure how much that has impacted on her voice.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back