Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Or you haven't been to good concerts.
Could very be the case. A lot of stuff I listen to isn't exactly avaliable live anymore, but the few bands/artists that I have shelled out for were sub par live.

There'll always be an exception to the rule. I'm yet to find it after paying more than $40 however.

Don't misconstrue this for a whinge about having to pay for things. The last thing I am is frugal.

Depends on the band/style of music I think. Some groups I don't think their music really translates very well to a live setting or they just can't win a crowd over. Others the live show is 1000x better than the album.

True.

I just think being at a gig, preferably a pub gig, and the energy from the band and the punters and the noise and the alcohol and the vibe and mabo and you get it right?

The idea of paying to see bands/artists still doesn't appeal to me unless you either know them personally or have the ability to stand/sit where you want and have a few beers.

I've never really felt compelled to pay vast quantities of money to hear music I already own with people I don't know who often have the ability to **** the whole thing up for you anyway.

Maybe i've just always been terrible at sharing :cool:
I can understand this.

Oasis' popularity worldwide equalled Radiohead's biggest, but Oasis biggest UK peak would smash Radiohead's. Take away the Stones and Beatles, and surely Oasis are the third biggest English band ever?

Oasis the third biggest English band ever? Not even close. Led Zeppelin who from the late 60's through to about 1978 were bigger than any other band anywhere.

Not referencing any specific unplugged performance or album, just the concept of it.

When an electric band goes acoustic the songs lose more than they gain. That simple.

... and the morons booed Bob Dylan when he went electric ...

Oasis the third biggest English band ever? Not even close. Led Zeppelin who from the late 60's through to about 1978 were bigger than any other band anywhere.
Lest we forget Queen, Pink Floyd and The Who. And even though a lot of people here don't like them, I'd argue Coldplay were bigger than Oasis at their respective peaks as well.

When some acoustic act like Jack Johnson or Ryan Adams turns it up to 11 and does a hard rock rendition of their songs, then the concept of unplugged might be worth something, but until then it is a one way street.

I wanna hear some "plugged in" albums.

At least he had energy. There are so many good singers around these days that are technically and sonically great or at least good, but they're boring because they have no emotion and no energy when they perform.
Sam Smith is one such example of this IMO.

Meat Loaf at the grand final... We all know what he sounded like, but you can't question his commitment to the performance. Give me that anytime over some boring singer.

I find when acoustic artists go electric on some songs or do electric or a band version of their acoustic songs the subtle beauty is often lost in a mess ad become forgettable.

As much as I like some songs stripped back I'll agree that more often than not it loses it's edge and can sound like a bit of a novelty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When some acoustic act like Jack Johnson or Ryan Adams turns it up to 11 and does a hard rock rendition of their songs, then the concept of unplugged might be worth something, but until then it is a one way street.

I wanna hear some "plugged in" albums.
Listen to his 1989 album.

True.

I just think being at a gig, preferably a pub gig, and the energy from the band and the punters and the noise and the alcohol and the vibe and mabo and you get it right?
I agree, I love seeing bands live. Even if I'm not well versed in their material there's always a cool buzz about going to a show.

Yeah wtf live music is awesome. It's not the best thing in the world – chicks are – but live music is incredible at its best.

I love the buzz of a massive show; the road signs telling you where to walk, the organising, the walk there and the venue as like this magnet for thousands of people, sussing out the crowd, the surge of people behind you, the 20 minutes between the support band and the headliner coming on... then walking home sweaty, saying bye to your mate after a brief review, then the intense melancholy of sitting at home alone reflecting on it – drained, happy you saw it, sad it's over.

It is stellar.

Even just seeing a mid-sized band when you're pissed and excited is so good. A DJ you dig while you're feeling something good can be the most profound moment of your life at the time, too.

Opinion: the internet has made album releases better, not worse.

The antiquated idea of us all being like Huck Finn and riding down to a record store to buy a brand new album is so ludicrous and for most kids, was unlikely.

These days we get random releases. We get massive hype cycles. We can go online and see opinions right away; random ones and educated ones. We can voice our own thoughts too which is cool – really how many of us have that many mates we talk about music to intensely? It's also free. The internet saturates waits, hype, all this sort of stuff and it makes the process bigger.

The antiquated idea of us all being like Huck Finn and riding down to a record store to buy a brand new album
My mate as huck finn tattooed on his knuckles (cringe). Whether I agree with the post or not, you're right. It's never going to reverse.

Yeah wtf live music is awesome. It's not the best thing in the world – chicks are – but live music is incredible at its best.

I love the buzz of a massive show; the road signs telling you where to walk, the organising, the walk there and the venue as like this magnet for thousands of people, sussing out the crowd, the surge of people behind you, the 20 minutes between the support band and the headliner coming on... then walking home sweaty, saying bye to your mate after a brief review, then the intense melancholy of sitting at home alone reflecting on it – drained, happy you saw it, sad it's over.

It is stellar.

Even just seeing a mid-sized band when you're pissed and excited is so good. A DJ you dig while you're feeling something good can be the most profound moment of your life at the time, too.
On point!

Depends who you see live I guess, I've seen a lot of crap, but a lot of good stuff as well.

Never forget - Nothing has come close to me then the Hype Williams/Dean Blunt shows.

Can't stand her music.
Without fail, the people I've met who have been big Bjork fans (as opposed to casual listeners) have also been major pretentious tools.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back