Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's rappers for sure, they're generally not only the coolest, but they also have that exciting feeling that not many rock bands do these days. Plus they're tapping into issues of the time and purveying some angst that's sort of universal and the feeling of the time. Get me?

One of those 'rap is for idiots' sorts?
Not at all...i believe love what you love
- im into obscure music that will.never be mass accepted...i think less accepted than rap...i.just personally am not sure in MY view that any rapper will be that renound in 30 years... but i.cant tell the future so i could very well be wrong...why are you so grumpy lol :)

On SM-N910G using BigFooty.com mobile app

I couldn't tell you who or what a Kendrick Lamar is, and I am pleased to say I couldn't name a Kanye song either.

No way are these people going to be household names or renowned in 30 years*.

*in my house.

I'm not convinced on Frank Ocean... his legend has stagnated at best with his second album. Who was talking about that? People liked him being back but if you were to put on a song of his at someone's house I think they'd prefer one of the first ones to even Nikes. Kendrick Lamar has an interesting voice and taps into a really big movement and set of issues in his lyrics, and he comes across as genuine. He's handled the transition from being part of it to being almost the grandfather of it really well and I think he'd really really go down as a hero or a real era-definer if he went and did something bold for the next record... take this year out, even consider taking 2018 out... just come back with an album like Kid A and the classic status is his.

One of those 'rap is for idiots' sorts?
He's got a point. I mean, it's not like there's any late 80s/early 90s rappers who people can remember these days...

I couldn't tell you who or what a Kendrick Lamar is, and I am pleased to say I couldn't name a Kanye song either.

*in my house.
You're pleased to say that you couldn't name a song by one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the 2000s?

That's kind of weird.

You're pleased to say that you couldn't name a song by one of the most critically acclaimed artists of the 2000s?

That's kind of weird.
The guy needs to be euthanized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*in my house.

Ah, so you're unable to separate a person's character from their music. I used to hate Kanye West too until I actually started listening to his music.

Kanye has dominated music throughout the 2000s. Will definitely be a household name in 30 years.

I'm not convinced on Frank Ocean... his legend has stagnated at best with his second album. Who was talking about that? People liked him being back but if you were to put on a song of his at someone's house I think they'd prefer one of the first ones to even Nikes. Kendrick Lamar has an interesting voice and taps into a really big movement and set of issues in his lyrics, and he comes across as genuine. He's handled the transition from being part of it to being almost the grandfather of it really well and I think he'd really really go down as a hero or a real era-definer if he went and did something bold for the next record... take this year out, even consider taking 2018 out... just come back with an album like Kid A and the classic status is his.

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I honestly prefer Blonde to Channel Orange. It took me a while, but it began to really hit me hard at the start of this year. the song Nights, particularly, I previously liked a lot, but it has since become one of my favourite songs in a very long time. The second section of the song is just stunning.

Speaking of Kanye though, BoshtrichBurger's unpopular opinion is right. 808s & Heartbreaks is one of his best (my second behind MBDTF).

Street Lights is honestly one of my favourite Kanye songs.

He's got a point. I mean, it's not like there's any late 80s/early 90s rappers who people can remember these days...
Run DMC are probably the only ones who could stake a claim. It's sort of the same with every genre though, in the public eye it's usually only one or two people who are really remembered a decade or two down the track.

It's not necessarily warranted, but I would suggest 2Pac and Biggie have that status too, even though they are far from the greatest hip hop artists of all time.

Metallica's cover of Bob Seger's "Turn the Page" is light years better than the original, and up there with one of the best things they ever did, their own songs included. At the very least, it's the highlight of mid-late '90s "hard rock era" Metallica. They somehow manage to capture the mood of the song's story with their music better than Seger himself did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back