Unpopular Musical Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks there's no good music on Triple J doesn't listen to Triple J. Yeah, there's some s**t on it but that's because they are trying to appeal to multiple genres at once (I hate hip hop, but can turn it down when it comes on). There's also a lot of mainstream music fans that come in around Hottest 100 time and push some of the edgier stuff out.

But three of the albums nominated for the J Awards were by Gang of Youths, Gordi and A.B Original, three very different and very excellent albums.

And I'm 40.
I had no idea who those three bands/groups were until reading your post, so I went and watched a bunch of clips on YouTube of each, and they’re all quite terrible and forgettable.

More to the point, they sound like every other bland, uninspiring piece of s**t that Triple J have been playing for the last 10 years.

If that’s supposed to be the edgiest stuff that station is playing I’m glad I switched off all those years ago.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I had no idea who those three bands/groups were until reading your post, so I went and watched a bunch of clips on YouTube of each, and they’re all quite terrible and forgettable.

More to the point, they sound like every other bland, uninspiring piece of s**t that Triple J have been playing for the last 10 years.

If that’s supposed to be the edgiest stuff that station is playing I’m glad I switched off all those years ago.
C'mon, they are vastly different sounds (rock, rap and synth-pop); to suggest they 'sound like the same bland s**t' indicates you either didn't really listen to them or you're just not interested in new music any more (which is fine, if you have enough from what you grew up with, more power to you). But there is always good music if you are open to it. This year has produced Arcade Fire, The National, Lorde, Preatures, Meg Mac, The War on Drugs, plus plenty of albums from genres I'm not so keen on but were well reviewed.

Don't be that old guy that thinks 'all new music is noise' :p

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I prefer the aussie bands that Triple J doesn't support, like Airbourne.

Sent from mTalk
Yeah, there's plenty of good music outside Triple J too. My point was, there's also good music on Triple J. What has changed is that they try to appeal to more genres now. I'm of the age that probably enjoyed Triple J the most during the '90s, but it's fair to say they played a very limited sound; if you wanted anything outside of indie pop/rock, you had to listen after 10pm. Now they are trying to share it around, which is why I will hear some hip-hop or heavy metal, which I don't like, but others do. It's fair to say if you put on JJJ and MMM, I'm still going to find more enjoyable music on JJJ.

C'mon, they are vastly different sounds (rock, rap and synth-pop); to suggest they 'sound like the same bland s**t' indicates you either didn't really listen to them or you're just not interested in new music any more (which is fine, if you have enough from what you grew up with, more power to you). But there is always good music if you are open to it. This year has produced Arcade Fire, The National, Lorde, Preatures, Meg Mac, The War on Drugs, plus plenty of albums from genres I'm not so keen on but were well reviewed.

Don't be that old guy that thinks 'all new music is noise' :p
It was all bland crap, like all the other indie bands you’ve mentioned above. That doesn’t mean it’s all the same genre.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
It was all bland crap, like all the other indie bands you’ve mentioned above. That doesn’t mean it’s all the same genre.
Gang of Youths... sing about cancer, death, suicide, religion, philosophy etc. Bland, apparently. A.B Original...racially charged rap about indigenous rights, Australia Day etc. Bland too. Arcade Fire... multi-instrumentalists that use guitar, drums, bass guitar, piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, xylophone, glockenspiel, keyboard, synthesizer, French horn, accordion, harp, mandonlin and hurdy-gurdy. Bland as well. Tame Impala and Methyl Ethel produce psychadelic (bland) rock.

I would suggest that what has changed is not music, but you.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
So?

And as for using a lot of instruments, it's like mixing heaps of colours together. You know what you get when you mix a heap of colours together?

Brown.

Again, who woulda thought a three chord rock group would become the shunned innovators of Aussie music? If Silverchair and Grinspoon were around today their JJJ support would also be vastly different. It's nothing against them, but they're a business playing to markets like anything else, except they're still coasting on a rep of being a champion for alt and unsigned local music of any style and sound.

Sent from mTalk

Richard Cranium

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PHX
Not sure that I'd use Arcade Fire's last one, which was (rightly) shat on by most critics, in an argument for 2017 producing quality music...

Or the other ones either, for that matter, but definitely not Arcade Fire.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
So?

And as for using a lot of instruments, it's like mixing heaps of colours together. You know what you get when you mix a heap of colours together?

Brown.

Again, who woulda thought a three chord rock group would become the shunned innovators of Aussie music? If Silverchair and Grinspoon were around today their JJJ support would also be vastly different. It's nothing against them, but they're a business playing to markets like anything else, except they're still coasting on a rep of being a champion for alt and unsigned local music of any style and sound.

Sent from mTalk
It was a specific response to the use of the word bland, which means lacking in strong features or characteristics. Sure, judge music on its merits, but the idea that all those bands could be dismissed with the singular term bland is absurd. It's about as silly as when my parents told me everything after the '70s was uninteresting and boring.

Gang of Youths... sing about cancer, death, suicide, religion, philosophy etc. Bland, apparently. A.B Original...racially charged rap about indigenous rights, Australia Day etc. Bland too. Arcade Fire... multi-instrumentalists that use guitar, drums, bass guitar, piano, violin, viola, cello, double bass, xylophone, glockenspiel, keyboard, synthesizer, French horn, accordion, harp, mandonlin and hurdy-gurdy. Bland as well. Tame Impala and Methyl Ethel produce psychadelic (bland) rock.

Mate, it’s all crap.

You might thinks it’s something new and imaginative, but it’s just bland pop music, which triple J listeners lap up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was a specific response to the use of the word bland, which means lacking in strong features or characteristics. Sure, judge music on its merits, but the idea that all those bands could be dismissed with the singular term bland is absurd. It's about as silly as when my parents told me everything after the '70s was uninteresting and boring.
Well then substitute the word with boring. It's obvious what he was meaning, don't get hung up on the meaning of the word.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Mate, it’s all crap.

You might thinks it’s something new and imaginative, but it’s just bland pop music, which triple J listeners lap up.
Mate, you acknowledged earlier that you hadn't even heard of Gang of Youths or A.B Original, two relatively well known bands. Yet you expect me to believe that you have cast your critical ear sufficiently over the likes of Methyl Ethel, Meg Mac, the Preatures, or Alt-J, Car Seat Headrest, Glass Animals, Luca Brasi, Ruby Fields etc and determined it's 'all crap'? Because if you have decided that all new music is crap without listening to it, then you are the embodiment of the angry old man yelling at clouds, shouting 'grr, music when I was younger is better than music when other people were younger'. Don't be that guy :p

Look, you don't have to like the same music as me. But this back and forth began with my view that the people complaining loudest about JJJ don't actually listen to it enough to cast judgement. They probably listen to it once a year on January 26 while mumbling about how it was better when the Cranberries, Dennis Leary and Chumbawumba topped the count. I stand by that and will tweak my opinion to say those that complain the most about how there's no good music any more don't listen to new music or seek out new music.

And hey, if people don't have the time to seek out new music, that's fine. But people have been saying there's no good new music since music began and they are still wrong.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
I listened to it long enough to cast judgement. It ain't for me, like lots of radio stations, but it's different because JJJ has definitely changed it's mantra in the last decade... or maybe following trends was always the mantra. Easy to play electric guitar heavy music in the 90s when Alt and Grunge were king.

I just don't get how they can completely ignore an Aussie band that eventually finds itself playing to 50 thousand people in Europe.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

I don’t disagree with your basic concept but just writing about something doesn’t make it interesting.

If I wrote a book about neo-nazism in state schools or something, it wouldn’t automatically become good or edgy just because that’s what it’s about.

Jul 21, 2008
The Sunshine State
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Bombers,Jazz,49'ers,Rafa
I really do not get the hype for Coldplay or The Arctic Monkeys. I've given The Arctic Monkeys heaps of chances to impress me and they just don't. As far as Coldplay goes, I do like the song Viva La Vida but pretty much nothing else even moderately excites me. I haven't read much of this thread so I expect others have posted a similar opinion

Their last Soundwave set was one of the more enjoyable live music events I’ve been at the last 5 or so years.
The one in Melbourne was awesome.

Even better when the camera flashed on to a chick in the crowd and she got her **** out. Big fat fakies too!

james Dean

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 18, 2006
Otherside of the Tracks
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
PHX, NUFC, Pats
I really do not get the hype for Coldplay or The Arctic Monkeys. I've given The Arctic Monkeys heaps of chances to impress me and they just don't. As far as Coldplay goes, I do like the song Viva La Vida but pretty much nothing else even moderately excites me. I haven't read much of this thread so I expect others have posted a similar opinion
Why would you group them two bands together?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back