Unpopular Musical Opinions

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Dark Side Of The Moon doesn’t do much for me. It’s not that I’m anti-Pink Floyd; I love Wish You Were Here, and The Wall is in my top five albums ever but I don’t exactly go on a trip when I listen to DSOTM and no song besides Money is super memorable to me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dark Side Of The Moon doesn’t do much for me. It’s not that I’m anti-Pink Floyd; I love Wish You Were Here, and The Wall is in my top five albums ever but I don’t exactly go on a trip when I listen to DSOTM and no song besides Money is super memorable to me.

Yeah not likely to be popular. :) I love it but apart from Money the rest does merge go me. Oh Great Gig In The Sky stands out too. :)

Mar 19, 2014
Newcastle
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Coney Island Warriors, Dallas, Liverpool
With regards to the arguments on the previous page, here's two (second isn't unpopular, but more a response):

1. Music is in the best state it has ever been, and keeps getting better.
  2. Triple J is garbage. Much better stations available depending on where you are. Heck, even Double J is much better.
Favourite radio station if you don't mind me asking? Preferably a community station as I can't stand ads.

Favourite radio station if you don't mind me asking? Preferably a community station as I can't stand ads.
I wouldn't know good Victorian stations, but my favourite in Queensland is 4ZZZ. Some ripper shows on there. Looking at Victoria, Triple R appears to be the most similar. Their weekday morning shows appear to play good music, and their rush hour shows are also pretty decent. A few of the rush hour shows do appear to neglect new music a bit, which is disappointing, and I don't think those shows should be receiving prestigious time slots, but there does appear to be a fair amount of quality new music there. Maybe someone from Victoria can confirm/deny.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion

Unpopular-ish opinion: As cringe-worthy as hair metal looks in hindsight, Poison's music has aged remarkably well and aside from GNR (who I usually don't class as hair metal) were the best band from the hair metal era.

As bubblegum music I agree, they came up on my playlist today and a bit of Unskinny Bop is always welcome and doesn't feel particularly dated.

I wouldn't know good Victorian stations, but my favourite in Queensland is 4ZZZ. Some ripper shows on there. Looking at Victoria, Triple R appears to be the most similar. Their weekday morning shows appear to play good music, and their rush hour shows are also pretty decent. A few of the rush hour shows do appear to neglect new music a bit, which is disappointing, and I don't think those shows should be receiving prestigious time slots, but there does appear to be a fair amount of quality new music there. Maybe someone from Victoria can confirm/deny.

RRR in Melbourne
ZZZ in Brisbane
3D in Adelaide

I wish Sydney had something even remotely close to those three.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Have a crack at the entire 'Wish you were here album'. I'll be surprised if you are entirely disappointed.

Just to let you know one year on, I’ve done a full 180. I’ve had a bit of a musical awakening recently, and can confirm I f*****g love Pink Floyd now. ‘The Wall’ got me hooked to begin with, and my most recent fascination is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, fantastic record.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

During those years you get the impression that it was just aesthetically and in terms of what was being played, a futuristic sounding record, although, in the 70s, there were so many records that sounded ahead of their time musically in terms of guitars, synths, sequencing, drums, patterns, chord progressions, because they didn't suffer from distractions like the 'loudness wars' or pop agenda's, and were more in the realm of pure production and guitars sounding great for the sake of it being great, as opposed to some agenda that it must sound a certain way by management or A&R....

A very pure album both artistically and philosophically, but very deep, most good records come to life from that.

Even i am surprised at it's lengthy success considering how that record sounds experimental, i can only conclude that it sounded futuristic and cool to people at the time.

It does kind of suffer from being too sickly deep in terms of being a concept album but it's still a high watermark in "how-to make a concept album".

The Wall is just as good, but it wasn't the first to do it and isn't as well edited down as DSOTM.

I can't really listen to Floyd very much, too dark, and one thing Radiohead does that Floyd don't is they venture into way more styles, so Radiohead can make the happiest sounding song ever with the darkest lyrics imaginable, but because the music is so good it doesn't bother me as much. A perfect example is "Jigsaw Falling into Place", which is a great pop/rock song, this is something that Pink Floyd don't do. To me they are sort of making the same album over and over again, even though it is creatively good and different music on each album, they know what they like to make.

I think its why they broke up after a decade, they weren't all getting along, but stylistically what else could they do??

Floyd is just, small doses, great music, creative, but very dark musically and lyrically all the time. They don't venture into upbeat mode very often, nor should they. But that's just me.

The catchiest and poppiest they ever got was on Barrett's last album.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
I really do not get the hype for Coldplay or The Arctic Monkeys. I've given The Arctic Monkeys heaps of chances to impress me and they just don't. As far as Coldplay goes, I do like the song Viva La Vida but pretty much nothing else even moderately excites me. I haven't read much of this thread so I expect others have posted a similar opinion

The first Arctic Monkey's album is where the hype comes from, the rest have been pretty mediocre with a handful of good songs here and there. But for me it all harks back to the first record.

Coldplay the same, the first couple of records were pretty solid, they've ridden that hype since then and became creatively boring, with a couple of decent singles since then.

Mar 13, 2015
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
With regards to the arguments on the previous page, here's two (second isn't unpopular, but more a response):

1. Music is in the best state it has ever been, and keeps getting better.
  2. Triple J is garbage. Much better stations available depending on where you are. Heck, even Double J is much better.

1. Yes! This is distorted by the fact that the good releases don't get any marketing or promotion by major record labels like what used to happen. It was way more likely that a good song might get some decent promotion in the past, now a lot of it is luck or word of mouth or luck of hearing it somewhere or seeing the clip on youtube, very different music industry these days to 15 years ago, this is where the lines are blurred, people get the impression that it's worse now, when it's just the decent music doesn't get the same mainstream attention as in the past and hence often gets lost over time, unless you are interested in finding the music.

2. Yep, Double J, SBS Chill, Triple R etc..streaming radio etc, BBC6, all good

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Coldplay have gradually declined since they began, but those first four albums are still decent. If someone says they were one of the better bands of the 2000s, based on that output I wouldn't argue.

Pink Floyd isn't a band I listen to all that regularly nowadays. DSOTM has stood up best for me over the years, one of those albums that never goes away for a reason, and Saucerful is the one that I can throw on in any mood really (once was Meddle).

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The first Arctic Monkey's album is where the hype comes from, the rest have been pretty mediocre with a handful of good songs here and there. But for me it all harks back to the first record.

Coldplay the same, the first couple of records were pretty solid, they've ridden that hype since then and became creatively boring, with a couple of decent singles since then.

Have always wanted to get into the Arctic Monkeys but it took until 'AM' for me to like an album of theirs, I think the lyrics are great but the let down for me has been the music itself lacking the same hook and intrigued of the lyrics.

I agree on Coldplay, all downhill since Viva which interestingly Brian Eno forced all the members to contribute to it, since then it appears to have been Martins way or the highway. Had hopes they turned it around after hearing 'Adventure of a lifetime' but i thought it was the only good song from that album.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Just to let you know one year on, I’ve done a full 180. I’ve had a bit of a musical awakening recently, and can confirm I f*****g love Pink Floyd now. ‘The Wall’ got me hooked to begin with, and my most recent fascination is The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, fantastic record.

Do try Animals next. You can thank me later.

mr bagcroft

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Mate, you acknowledged earlier that you hadn't even heard of Gang of Youths or A.B Original, two relatively well known bands. Yet you expect me to believe that you have cast your critical ear sufficiently over the likes of Methyl Ethel, Meg Mac, the Preatures, or Alt-J, Car Seat Headrest, Glass Animals, Luca Brasi, Ruby Fields etc and determined it's 'all crap'? Because if you have decided that all new music is crap without listening to it, then you are the embodiment of the angry old man yelling at clouds, shouting 'grr, music when I was younger is better than music when other people were younger'. Don't be that guy :p

Look, you don't have to like the same music as me. But this back and forth began with my view that the people complaining loudest about JJJ don't actually listen to it enough to cast judgement. They probably listen to it once a year on January 26 while mumbling about how it was better when the Cranberries, Dennis Leary and Chumbawumba topped the count. I stand by that and will tweak my opinion to say those that complain the most about how there's no good music any more don't listen to new music or seek out new music.

And hey, if people don't have the time to seek out new music, that's fine. But people have been saying there's no good new music since music began and they are still wrong.
There is good music being made, of course. My missus lives with JJJ on in the car, in the house..bloody all the time.
I like stuff I have heard from Hands like Houses, and some others whose names escape me right now.
There is no doubt there is an awful lot of rubbish they play as well. Bordering from just bloody average, to downright trash.
Technology now allows anyone to produce anything. Is that good or bad? Could argue either I reckon.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix loses a lot of momentum by chucking Love Like a Sunset (I&II) in at track 4. Overall it's pretty dull and could be about half the length. Also have no idea why Lasso hasn't got a 'finishing' chorus after the instrumental section. I know they do it live, but I think they really missed out structuring it that way. It's such a great pop hook and they don't milk it for all it's worth.

Back